Hurricane Matthew

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It will hit northern Florida and Georgia at high tide with the ocean up to 12 feet higher if you were standing at its usual height. That is huge.

My hope is that it heads out to sea after about Jacksonville, 100 miles off coast. Best case scenario.

This coast hugging is about the scariest thing I have ever seen. It's like a hurricane striking over and over, it never dies out.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
New Smyrna and Ponce Inlet are wonderful places. Really shouldn't say that and let the secret out. Love that area. Will be moving there soon, God willing.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
It will hit northern Florida and Georgia at high tide with the ocean up to 12 feet higher if you were standing at its usual height. That is huge.

My hope is that it heads out to sea after about Jacksonville, 100 miles off coast. Best case scenario.

This coast hugging is about the scariest thing I have ever seen. It's like a hurricane striking over and over, it never dies out.
Yeah, I was telling my wife earlier that this has the potential to be one of the costliest (maybe the costliest) hurricane in US history. Typically, we have a hurricane make landfall and quickly weaken, with the eye wall coming into close proximity to maybe 20 or 30 miles of coastline while the storm is at its strongest. Here, we have a cat 3 or 4 eye wall (comparable in strength to Hurricane Ivan 2004) that will strafe what - 400 miles? - of very populated coastline before it significantly weakens. I fear that the cumulative damage will be incredible.

Plus, it's been a long time since we've seen significant landfalling tropical activity. I think, due to inexperience or just forgetfulness, people are largely underestimating the potential destructive power, especially of a major hurricane (cat 3+). I'm seeing a lot of folks on facebook and elsewhere who are choosing to hunker down rather than leave. Mistake with a storm of this intensity.

Hope I'm wrong and this will be a non-event.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Good news that it is staying north and has not gone more east because at some point it will swing west, the further from the coast of Florida or inlet, the better for the majority, especially Ga and Carolina. So we have had good news.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Yeah, I was telling my wife earlier that this has the potential to be one of the costliest (maybe the costliest) hurricane in US history. Typically, we have a hurricane make landfall and quickly weaken, with the eye wall coming into close proximity to maybe 20 or 30 miles of coastline while the storm is at its strongest. Here, we have a cat 3 or 4 eye wall (comparable in strength to Hurricane Ivan 2004) that will strafe what - 400 miles? - of very populated coastline before it significantly weakens. I fear that the cumulative damage will be incredible.

Plus, it's been a long time since we've seen significant landfalling tropical activity. I think, due to inexperience or just forgetfulness, people are largely underestimating the potential destructive power, especially of a major hurricane (cat 3+). I'm seeing a lot of folks on facebook and elsewhere who are choosing to hunker down rather than leave. Mistake with a storm of this intensity.

Hope I'm wrong and this will be a non-event.
A 25 year old with an apartment was 14 the last time a big one hit.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
A 25 year old with an apartment was 14 the last time a big one hit.
Golden Isles Georgia if it hits, will be the first since 1898, they had one also in 1892. Both flooded downtown mainland Brunswick up to 8 feet of water, one completely engulfed Sea Island Ga killing hundreds of black plantation workers that were left behind "The Sea Island Hurricane". It takes a very special set of circumstance to have hurricanes because of the curve in coastline, they hit NC. In this situation the curve in coastline is bad because my area will catch the hurricane surge like a baseball glove.

Many do not know that most of the shoreline has not had a cat 3 or so hurricane up to a century. If this hurricane gets withing 50 miles, it will make major changes in the shoreline for how ever long it travels. It can move the beach up 200 ft.

Good news! Mathew's eye is not jogging east like they predicted. It will hit at some point, but the further north the better. This could have been the disaster for the ages imo. Hope it stays tracking north

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
Golden Isles Georgia if it hits, will be the first since 1898, they had one also in 1892. Both flooded downtown mainland Brunswick up to 8 feet of water, one completely engulfed Sea Island Ga killing hundreds of black plantation workers that were left behind "The Sea Island Hurricane". It takes a very special set of circumstance to have hurricanes because of the curve in coastline, they hit NC. In this situation the curve in coastline is bad because my area will catch the hurricane surge like a baseball glove.

Many do not know that most of the shoreline has not had a cat 3 or so hurricane up to a century. If this hurricane gets withing 50 miles, it will make major changes in the shoreline for how ever long it travels. It can move the beach up 200 ft.

Good news! Mathew's eye is not jogging east like they predicted. It will hit at some point, but the further north the better. This could have been the disaster for the ages imo.
Really don't see them having a good handle on the track. Last biggie I remember in your neck of the woods wad Donna, early 60's. Pretty bad storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
Bazza, check in when you can and let us know how you fared. West Palm seems to be good. It didn't get close enough to do much here. I am concerned about people to the north, though.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Bazza, check in when you can and let us know how you fared. West Palm seems to be good. It didn't get close enough to do much here. I am concerned about people to the north, though.
Good to hear you're ok. Might be a few days before we hear from Bazza (Weather channel reports 48 mph winds there at 7:51). Praying for safety for all those on east coast.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
My people in Florida made it through ok and didn't have too much property damage.
I'm told they don't expect to have power back on until late tomorrow, and that's in town.
The most important thing though is that they're safe. Hope everyone else is too.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Yes, I hunkered down and was glad I did. Too many lunatics out on the roads! :eek:

No damage to house, no flooding in area, just a bunch of wind that tore up some of my landscaping and made a mess...and yes knocked down some of my fencing! :mad:

I got the whole place cleaned up pretty good - just need to do some fence repairs tomorrow..

Power still out but using my generator. Gotta get some gas soon - hopefully they will restore power soon.

My internet connection was just restored so thought I drop you worry worts a line.. ;)

The worst part is I don't have any results from the games yesterday so going to go catch up.....

Seriously - hope everyone else came through OK and thanks for the positive vibes!

PS - I did see you beat Arky....woot woot! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.