Question: Hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU-UF and UGA-USC postponed)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: What will be hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU/UF postponed)

Yup, UGA @ USC has been pushed back to Sunday, so I'm selling my tickets now. They literally waited until there were less than 48 hours before kickoff to make that decision - USC is a clown college.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Re: What will be hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU/UF postponed)

The SEC will have to step in and make UF and LSU play on Nov 19th. UF and LSU should write the checks to Presbyterian and South Alabama respectively, tell PC and USA play each other, and let them flip a coin to decide where. Problem solved.
Move up UGA-UF to 10/22 when they both have a bye week. That would then give UF and LSU bye weeks 10/29 and they could play that week. Nobody has to buy anyone out AND LSU has no bye week before we play them!:biggrin::biggrin:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Yup, UGA @ USC has been pushed back to Sunday, so I'm selling my tickets now. They literally waited until there were less than 48 hours before kickoff to make that decision - USC is a clown college.
Well you are talking about a team that has their stadium in a fair ground... I suppose there are a good number of clowns around:)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Some suggested we shut the entire SEC back a week. But it would put the SECCG a day before the bowl selection. I would not have a problem with an extra week off but money always comes onto play.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Some suggested we shut the entire SEC back a week. But it would put the SECCG a day before the bowl selection. I would not have a problem with an extra week off but money always comes onto play.
Wait selection is on the day before final selections already. What it would do is push it back another week giving shoe ins from other conferences more time to game plan

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Wait selection is on the day before final selections already. What it would do is push it back another week giving shoe ins from other conferences more time to game plan
Regardless, we have a pickle. But I do not blame Florida. Family and safety trumps a football game. This is not like the Curry debacle.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Regardless, we have a pickle. But I do not blame Florida. Family and safety trumps a football game. This is not like the Curry debacle.
I would agree if this storm just appeared out of nowhere. It did not. The forecast path has been pretty consistent. They knew that this had a high probability of impacting their ability to play locally or travel on Mon-Tues. They waited. They probably did the same calculations that were done in this thread. There is a real possibility that this was a calculated decision, knowing that not playing this game would help their team's chances of making the SECCG.

Their decision to wait was essentially a decision to cancel, knowing that the weather was going to work in their favor. Best case - hurricane misses and they keep the home game. Worst case - hurricane hits and their team is helped by not playing the game at all.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU-UFand UGA-USC postponed)

This is potentially huge although not as much so as in the BCS days.

Y'all remember the mess in college football in 2001? We wound up with a season where a team that did not even win its division (Nebraska) and lost its last game in a colossal blowout (62-36) wound up in the BCS title game as the sacrificial lamb for Miami - because of the 9/11 attacks. For those who don't recall, here's the overview of what happened.

The games of September 15 were all postponed or cancelled. (Remember that - it will be important in about 60 seconds or so).

The BCS rankings for November 19 were:

1) Nebraska
2) Miami
3) Oklahoma - one loss to Nebraska
4) Florida - a three-point loss to Auburn
5) Oregon - a 7-point loss to Stanford
6) Texas - a loss to OU
7) Tennessee - a two-point loss to UGA

And then disaster happened, maybe the wildest BCS chaos we ever had.

First, Colorado drilled Nebraska, 62-36 (and the game wasn't even THAT close - for real). The very next day, Okie State shocked Oklahoma, so both those teams fell a bit and we had:

Miami, Florida, Texas, Nebraska (only fell to #4), Oregon, Tennessee, Colorado (with 2 losses)

Because the UF-Tennessee game was rescheduled, everyone knew one of those two teams was for sure out. So Texas meets Colorado - who they had beaten earlier in a 41-7 blowout. Naturally, Mack Brown choked and on that same day, Tennessee pulled a stunning upset of Florida in what proved to be Spurrier's last regular season game in Gainesville. So now the polls said:

Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon

And once again, if Tennessee beat LSU....who they had beaten, 26-18, in September....then it would be simple: Miami vs the Vols. LSU had taken a circuitous route to the game, first watching Alabama shock West leader Auburn and then beating Auburn themselves to set up the rematch.

Trailing 17-7 and losing his quarterback just before the half, the LSU coach (some guy named Saban) stepped onto the national stage and pulled a stunning upset, 31-20, and caused utter BCS chaos. Come to think of it, that's another of Saban's gifts (insert 2011 and 2013 results here).

Now came the big question......would Miami face Nebraska (one loss), Colorado (two losses, but undid one by beating their conqueror and drilled Nebraska head-to-head), or Oregon (one loss).

When the BCS poll came in, they had a disaster on their hands when Nebraska went in over Oregon.

But what did not get a lot of ink at the time was that this entire problem was caused by the cancelling of one game: Colorado vs Washington State, scheduled for 9/15 and cancelled due to 9/11. You see.....if those two had played each other, the result would have delivered the BCS title berth (and right to get killed by Miami) to either Colorado or Oregon because if CU had beat Wazzu (10-2 under Mike Price that year), their SOS would have raised them over Nebraska......but since Oregon had played and beat Wazzu (24-17), a WIN by Wazzu would have raised Oregon's SOS enough to put them in the title game.

Seriously - the cancellation of one game literally affected the national championship match-up. And while I doubt anyone considers Florida a title contender, the FACT is that right now they have one loss and could conceivably back door it into the SEC title game if this game isn't played. If they did that and beat Alabama - ending the year with one loss AND an SEC title.......they probably play in the Final Four.

So it IS important in the big term.

LSU63

All-SEC
Jan 19, 2007
Brusly, La.
Re: Hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU-UFand UGA-USC postponed)

Just a few things to add:

In addition to playing in BR, LSU volunteered to play Sunday or Monday at Fla.

Fla. St. and Miami are still playing, so are Ga. and SC. Could Fla. being so quick to postpone have anything to do with 4 DL and their QB being injured? I'm not so sure they want to reschedule, especially if Tenn. drops another game or two (likely, agree?)

If LSU drops our non conference game and goes to Fla, that would put LSU's last consecutive games as Alabama, at Arkansas, at Fla. at Texas A&M with only 4 days off, (Texas A&M game is on Thanksgiving) in addition to losing a home game and all that revenue. I think the SEC has insurance for that, but I'm not sure. Meanwhile, Fla gets a chance to get healthy.

Works out pretty good for Fla. Thoughts?

Last edited:

LSU63

All-SEC
Jan 19, 2007
Brusly, La.
Re: What will be hurricane Matthew's impact on college football this weekend?

My guess is they'll spend tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday putting in Bama work plus they don't have that game of extra wear and tear. It's a benefit.
The team is off Saturday and Sunday. They're treating it as an off week

LSU63

All-SEC
Jan 19, 2007
Brusly, La.

Coach O KNOWS if he wins that game his chances of getting the HC'ng job drastically go up.
It's probably the only way he can get the job. Unless we strike out on quite a few coaches

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

This is potentially huge although not as much so as in the BCS days.

Y'all remember the mess in college football in 2001? We wound up with a season where a team that did not even win its division (Nebraska) and lost its last game in a colossal blowout (62-36) wound up in the BCS title game as the sacrificial lamb for Miami - because of the 9/11 attacks. For those who don't recall, here's the overview of what happened.

The games of September 15 were all postponed or cancelled. (Remember that - it will be important in about 60 seconds or so).

The BCS rankings for November 19 were:

1) Nebraska
2) Miami
3) Oklahoma - one loss to Nebraska
4) Florida - a three-point loss to Auburn
5) Oregon - a 7-point loss to Stanford
6) Texas - a loss to OU
7) Tennessee - a two-point loss to UGA

And then disaster happened, maybe the wildest BCS chaos we ever had.

First, Colorado drilled Nebraska, 62-36 (and the game wasn't even THAT close - for real). The very next day, Okie State shocked Oklahoma, so both those teams fell a bit and we had:

Miami, Florida, Texas, Nebraska (only fell to #4), Oregon, Tennessee, Colorado (with 2 losses)

Because the UF-Tennessee game was rescheduled, everyone knew one of those two teams was for sure out. So Texas meets Colorado - who they had beaten earlier in a 41-7 blowout. Naturally, Mack Brown choked and on that same day, Tennessee pulled a stunning upset of Florida in what proved to be Spurrier's last regular season game in Gainesville. So now the polls said:

Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon

And once again, if Tennessee beat LSU....who they had beaten, 26-18, in September....then it would be simple: Miami vs the Vols. LSU had taken a circuitous route to the game, first watching Alabama shock West leader Auburn and then beating Auburn themselves to set up the rematch.

Trailing 17-7 and losing his quarterback just before the half, the LSU coach (some guy named Saban) stepped onto the national stage and pulled a stunning upset, 31-20, and caused utter BCS chaos. Come to think of it, that's another of Saban's gifts (insert 2011 and 2013 results here).

Now came the big question......would Miami face Nebraska (one loss), Colorado (two losses, but undid one by beating their conqueror and drilled Nebraska head-to-head), or Oregon (one loss).

When the BCS poll came in, they had a disaster on their hands when Nebraska went in over Oregon.

But what did not get a lot of ink at the time was that this entire problem was caused by the cancelling of one game: Colorado vs Washington State, scheduled for 9/15 and cancelled due to 9/11. You see.....if those two had played each other, the result would have delivered the BCS title berth (and right to get killed by Miami) to either Colorado or Oregon because if CU had beat Wazzu (10-2 under Mike Price that year), their SOS would have raised them over Nebraska......but since Oregon had played and beat Wazzu (24-17), a WIN by Wazzu would have raised Oregon's SOS enough to put them in the title game.

Seriously - the cancellation of one game literally affected the national championship match-up. And while I doubt anyone considers Florida a title contender, the FACT is that right now they have one loss and could conceivably back door it into the SEC title game if this game isn't played. If they did that and beat Alabama - ending the year with one loss AND an SEC title.......they probably play in the Final Four.

So it IS important in the big term.
Thanks for the post Selma. I was pretty young then but I remember Nebraska making the game being a head-scratcher. 'Canes would have probably killed anyone that year, but that's some great detail.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It's probably the only way he can get the job. Unless we strike out on quite a few coaches
He's definitely not Plan A. But I've heard with Charlie Strong more than likely on his way out at Texas and Texas being very interested in Tom Herman. Then on top of that it is starting to get more legs that the USCw coach very well maybe gone as well after the season. LSU is making Plan C and D and if Coach O makes a good run and beats Bama he will be one of those lower level plans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The SEC commish should have told Florida to load their show up and go to Baton Rouge on Thursday and arranged a facility for them to practice at on Friday afternoon. Florida slow played and played the role of the unwitting idiot who just doesn't know what to do because they liked the circumstances it created for their team to not play this weekend.

Lets be real, if there is a hurricane coming...wouldn't taking your team westward and putting them in a hotel be a good thing? Its not like UF will be having classes on Monday in all likelihood. If they had been a bit ahead of the curve, all of that would have been no problem. They didn't want to give up a home game. They didn't want to play LSU while they're still in Shirtless Wild Boys Coach O afterglow. They definitely didn't want to play them in Baton Rouge.

But here's the thing. The Gators don't run the conference and there is a competitive interest in making sure this game is played. I think the competitive interest of assuring an SEC game happens without any conflict outweighs Florida's desire to have it on their own terms. This wasn't about player safety that was a pure and simple misdirect just like most things ADs and presidents say that involves "thankin' bout da student atholeets" BS.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

The SEC commish should have told Florida to load their show up and go to Baton Rouge on Thursday and arranged a facility for them to practice at on Friday afternoon. Florida slow played and played the role of the unwitting idiot who just doesn't know what to do because they liked the circumstances it created for their team to not play this weekend.

Lets be real, if there is a hurricane coming...wouldn't taking your team westward and putting them in a hotel be a good thing? Its not like UF will be having classes on Monday in all likelihood. If they had been a bit ahead of the curve, all of that would have been no problem. They didn't want to give up a home game. They didn't want to play LSU while they're still in Shirtless Wild Boys Coach O afterglow. They definitely didn't want to play them in Baton Rouge.

But here's the thing. The Gators don't run the conference and there is a competitive interest in making sure this game is played. I think the competitive interest of assuring an SEC game happens without any conflict outweighs Florida's desire to have it on their own terms. This wasn't about player safety that was a pure and simple misdirect just like most things ADs and presidents say that involves "thankin' bout da student atholeets" BS.
Good analysis...follow the money!

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I totally disagree with them forcing the Gators to give this up as a home game. Home conference games matter. To me the conference should force LSU to take the 11/19 option in Gainesville, but that is just MHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I totally disagree with them forcing the Gators to give this up as a home game. Home conference games matter. To me the conference should force LSU to take the 11/19 option in Gainesville, but that is just MHO.

In that case the SEC should pay LSU's buyout fee to USA and compensate them for the loss of the home game revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

In that case the SEC should pay LSU's buyout fee to USA and compensate them for the loss of the home game revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I agree with that - although haven't really thought it through...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Just a few things to add:

In addition to playing in BR, LSU volunteered to play Sunday or Monday at Fla.

Fla. St. and Miami are still playing, so are Ga. and SC. Could Fla. being so quick to postpone have anything to do with 4 DL and their QB being injured? I'm not so sure they want to reschedule, especially if Tenn. drops another game or two (likely, agree?)

If LSU drops our non conference game and goes to Fla, that would put LSU's last consecutive games as Alabama, at Arkansas, at Fla. at Texas A&M with only 4 days off, (Texas A&M game is on Thanksgiving) in addition to losing a home game and all that revenue. I think the SEC has insurance for that, but I'm not sure. Meanwhile, Fla gets a chance to get healthy.

Works out pretty good for Fla. Thoughts?
I think you are correct.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.