Question: Hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU-UF and UGA-USC postponed)

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
South Carolina did just one year ago - almost to the very day.

This is complicated by the fact that the also have to consider what is best for the CONFERENCE. They don't work in isolation here.

They didn't need much luck to kill Florida.

You mean like Auburn did in 2013?

If that's what this is about then don't be too surprised if they're in line for the Final Four and the committee justifies excluding them on that very basis.

I wouldn't go that far with it. They're trying to win a PR battle here so they must care somewhat.

You mean like the time we played ATM at the end of the season on short rest?

Or the time we went ahead and played Michigan in Dallas with Hurricane Isaac bearing down on the Gulf Coast?

Then it's fair to question why Miami and FSU were able to play as well as UGA and S Carolina....but not Florida......how can these unforseen circumstances not cause two games to be cancelled but this one absolutely must be?

Well I guess your 12,700 posts means again you are the smarter guy. Shame on FL, they should have just loaded up a couple yellow school buses and made the trip to Baton Rouge today. Honestly, why do you even care if they play or not? I don't, I just know a smart business decision when I see one and FL jumped on it. If you can't see that, well I guess you are just another pudknocker that has nothing better to do, but to break down each sentence of someones post.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly, why do you even care if they play or not? I don't, I just know a smart business decision when I see one and FL jumped on it.
Florida loses a national PR battle, playoff opportunity, and a big chunk of money by not rescheduling it so how is that a good business decision other than winning the SECE on a loophole?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Florida loses a national PR battle, playoff opportunity, and a big chunk of money by not rescheduling it so how is that a good business decision other than winning the SECE on a loophole?
If they win the SECe, they won't care about any of this other stuff, and America's attention is too short for anyone to remember that this even happened.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
and America's attention is too short for anyone to remember that this even happened.
Not to change the topic, but We still talk about the "tuck rule" a decade and some change later. America will use Florida for their own purposes in that they can be the team that knocks off Alabama, and then when selection comes they will vilify them for the loophole and call the SEC a bunch of cheaters.

Point is the game should be played at some point when another SEC game and a huge ACC game are being played.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Well I guess your 12,700 posts means again you are the smarter guy. Shame on FL, they should have just loaded up a couple yellow school buses and made the trip to Baton Rouge today. Honestly, why do you even care if they play or not? I don't, I just know a smart business decision when I see one and FL jumped on it. If you can't see that, well I guess you are just another pudknocker that has nothing better to do, but to break down each sentence of someones post.
Umm, how can getting zero money from a cancellation over getting any money off of rescheduling or playing at a neutral site (SEC would compensate them, I promise) be a smart business decision?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well I guess your 12,700 posts means again you are the smarter guy.
I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Shame on FL, they should have just loaded up a couple yellow school buses and made the trip to Baton Rouge today.
I don't blame Florida in isolation for this. But do you have an answer to my question? Why are Georgia-SCAR and FSU-Miami able to play but UF-LSU not?????

Honestly, why do you even care if they play or not?
I don't; I won't even watch the game.

I don't, I just know a smart business decision when I see one and FL jumped on it.
Okay, out of curiosity....how much would Florida and the SEC stand to make if the Gators made the Final Four playoff? And how much would they lose if they were passed over by committee because it was felt they were ducking LSU?

Would it THEN be a smart business decision?

If you can't see that, well I guess you are just another pudknocker that has nothing better to do, but to break down each sentence of someones post.
I figure the only way you can understand what I'm saying is for me to write in short, complete sentences, most words having only one syllable. Apparently, even that is too difficult.

And with that response I'm done with you, sir.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Umm, how can getting zero money from a cancellation over getting any money off of rescheduling or playing at a neutral site (SEC would compensate them, I promise) be a smart business decision?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
They reported one death yesterday that was a heart attack, I bet was from watching the weather channel. I own a house that I rent out on the southern tip of St. Simons Island, Ga. 100 yards off the Atlantic. Faces Atlantic and a PGA tour golf course run by school mate Davis Love III. Just the lot is worth a half million. What if it is the new beach tomorrow? Scary. I have no idea on the damage. I pray for anyone that owns land up coast because high tide at midnight and the distance from the continental coast could put islands like Tybee under water. All of it.

My lot cost 15k in 1976. From my father. to 500k now. A middle class person could buy in the good days. Not now. Sad.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They reported one death yesterday that was a heart attack
Sad that someone died like that, but they do this with every storm. Someone dies of natural causes, but the death is attributed to the storm. This person had a massive heart attack at 56 years old. Most people who suffer similar heart attacks at that age (so young) do not survive. But this one is laid at the feet of the storm. They do it to further sensationalize the storm. Thy also do this with snow storms. Someone dies shoveling snow and they were killed by the storm. What?

Over 150,000 people die every day. 5 died in Florida during this storm. 2 were doing something stupid and had trees fall on them. A couple died from CO1 poisoning from running a generator inside their garage. These 4 were directly caused by the storm, but were 100% preventable if the individuals had used even a little bit of common sense.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Referring to a long time member who is greatly respected on TideFans a pudknocker is not the way to endear yourself to posters on this site. As for LSU v Florida, not sure anyone really cares. FYI, he is the smarter guy.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You're simultaneously right and wrong...and it depends on what happens subsequent to this whole thing.

Not to change the topic, but We still talk about the "tuck rule" a decade and some change later.
But why? Because: a) New England won the Super Bowl that year; and b) New England became one of the (maybe the) greatest dynasties in the history of the NFL. Without those later developments, the only fans (excluding yours truly and people like me) who would remember the Tuck Rule are the fans of the Patriots and Raiders.....and the gamblers who won/lost money because of their bets that day.

People still impugn Colorado's 1990 national title with the Fifth Down (many refusing to acknowledge the context) Why? Because Colorado won the national title. If Colorado had not made the Orange Bowl as #1 (and then won), it is doubtful anyone other than Mizzou and CU fans would even have the vaguest recollection of this. And this is easy to prove:

1) In 1938, Notre Dame beat Carnegie Tech because the referee mistakenly mixed up the downs and on the subsequent possession, the Irish scored the only TD of the game because of the shorter field.

2) In 1972, Miami (FL) got an extra down and beat Tulane with the extra play. Why does nobody remember this? Because Miami was 5-6 and not a power and Tulane was 6-5 and not a power. I doubt this game was even on television and ESPN had not yet been invented.

But while you're clearly an intelligent guy 81, you probably didn't even know about those until I mentioned them. I only found out about some of them within the last decade. The 'memorable' one - the infamous 1940 Dartmouth-Cornell Fifth Down - was memorable mostly because: a) the team that benefited forfeited the game; and b) the team that lost had won 18 straight games and was seen as a 'power' in the Ivy League at that time.

America will use Florida for their own purposes in that they can be the team that knocks off Alabama, and then when selection comes they will vilify them for the loophole and call the SEC a bunch of cheaters.
This is my concern with this whole thing. I have a proposal though that would end this whole problem - why not mandate a 'week off' after the rivalry games but before the conference championships? Everyone else is already off anyway, so why not have it as a fail safe against something like this in the future? It's too late for this year...although let me point out that they managed to move the 2001 SECCG back a week and all hell broke loose the week before, with Tennessee upsetting Florida and LSU upsetting Auburn.

Point is the game should be played at some point when another SEC game and a huge ACC game are being played.
No argument here - at all.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So clear skies over in Gainesville today and no football is being playing. This should have been a wait and see event. The officials at UF sure messed this one up. Even Disney World reopened earlier than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you really can't do that.

Florida's AD excuses aren't really cutting it with me, either. "Well, we can't get security" (but FSU-Miami did).

Again - why not BDS? Maybe even on Sunday. It's about halfway in between them, provides a basic evacuation for the team, etc, and probably plenty of hotels given that the Tide is out of town. Presumably, Atlanta was tougher.

But the Vols fans are looking just as ridiculous here. This convinces me that deep down even they suspect they're not as good as their current record; why do they think they'll lose the next two? That's the only reason it even matters to Butch Jones.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm not reading the whole thread, but Sankey bunged the LSU v FL situation big time and made the SEC head office look weak in the process. This whole thing is ridiculous.

But you really can't do that.

Florida's AD excuses aren't really cutting it with me, either. "Well, we can't get security" (but FSU-Miami did).

Again - why not BDS? Maybe even on Sunday. It's about halfway in between them, provides a basic evacuation for the team, etc, and probably plenty of hotels given that the Tide is out of town. Presumably, Atlanta was tougher.

But the Vols fans are looking just as ridiculous here. This convinces me that deep down even they suspect they're not as good as their current record; why do they think they'll lose the next two? That's the only reason it even matters to Butch Jones.
They could have had things in place just in case though. This isn't the first hurricane that hit Florida. The game could have been moved to Tampa as well. Proper planning was not done. The forecast models had the hurricane moving up the coast for at least a week. The officials seemingly didn't care to do what was necessary to get the game done.

UT people are as we think they are; absolutely hilarious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They could have had things in place just in case though. This isn't the first hurricane that hit Florida. The game could have been moved to Tampa as well. Proper planning was not done. The forecast models had the hurricane moving up the coast for at least a week. The officials seemingly didn't care to do what was necessary to get the game done.

UT people are as we think they are; absolutely hilarious.

My sister lives in Tampa. The problem with two games is obvious - the only reason FSU and Miami can do that is because BOTH teams are relatively close. But certainly a lot of the evacuees went to Tampa, which complicates the hotel issue. Security, of course, could be done with overtime pay if necessary.

Of course, 2003 is right. Sankey should have stepped in and said, "You're playing on THIS DATE at THIS LOCALE and if you don't like it, tough."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You're simultaneously right and wrong...and it depends on what happens subsequent to this whole thing.

But why? Because: a) New England won the Super Bowl that year; and b) New England became one of the (maybe the) greatest dynasties in the history of the NFL. Without those later developments, the only fans (excluding yours truly and people like me) who would remember the Tuck Rule are the fans of the Patriots and Raiders.....and the gamblers who won/lost money because of their bets that day.

People still impugn Colorado's 1990 national title with the Fifth Down (many refusing to acknowledge the context) Why? Because Colorado won the national title. If Colorado had not made the Orange Bowl as #1 (and then won), it is doubtful anyone other than Mizzou and CU fans would even have the vaguest recollection of this. And this is easy to prove:

1) In 1938, Notre Dame beat Carnegie Tech because the referee mistakenly mixed up the downs and on the subsequent possession, the Irish scored the only TD of the game because of the shorter field.

2) In 1972, Miami (FL) got an extra down and beat Tulane with the extra play. Why does nobody remember this? Because Miami was 5-6 and not a power and Tulane was 6-5 and not a power. I doubt this game was even on television and ESPN had not yet been invented.

But while you're clearly an intelligent guy 81, you probably didn't even know about those until I mentioned them. I only found out about some of them within the last decade. The 'memorable' one - the infamous 1940 Dartmouth-Cornell Fifth Down - was memorable mostly because: a) the team that benefited forfeited the game; and b) the team that lost had won 18 straight games and was seen as a 'power' in the Ivy League at that time.

It wasn't a great example on my part, and probably because it was so late and I was trying to make a point about how America holds long grudges against things they feel are unfair. Maybe I can do better with how Big XII people constantly try to sway the narrative that two of CNS's titles should have an * beside it because "If Colt hadn't got hurt" and "What if the plane crash never happened" arguments. They still bring it up to this day.

The whole point Im trying to make is one that you are making. I too personally don't care who wins, but lets say Tennessee loses to aTm, beats us (I know its a huge stretch), and loses off a fluke against another SEC team. Then lets say Bama wins out and UF does as well, and LSU loses only once (Bama) without playing UF. That puts Bama and UF in the SECCG. If Bama is on the bubble after blasting Florida in the SECCG don't think for a second the "SEC is protecting Bama from the only real team in the East" arguments don't start coming out trying to sway the committee. I would rather the UF-LSU happen where that kinda logic doesn't come up because you and I know it most certainly will.

My sister lives in Tampa. The problem with two games is obvious - the only reason FSU and Miami can do that is because BOTH teams are relatively close. But certainly a lot of the evacuees went to Tampa, which complicates the hotel issue. Security, of course, could be done with overtime pay if necessary.

Of course, 2003 is right. Sankey should have stepped in and said, "You're playing on THIS DATE at THIS LOCALE and if you don't like it, tough."
You're right. People did go over that way. Logistically, it probably wouldn't be feasible. Still, people are dropping the ball here.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Move the Florida-Georgia game forward one week and then play the LSU-Florida game on 10-29.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.