Whiny baby LSU DAD melting over the 'cowardly' gators

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: LSU DAD melting over the cowardly gators

But......Florida AD Jeremy Foley stated this:

"Impossible to accommodate that request, which we greatly appreciated,'' Foley said. "I think everyone in this room understands how the University of Florida feels about playing LSU. This series is very important to our fan base and important to this institution, but to try and put a road trip together of 150-plus people in a day and half … again, not in the best interest of safety, not in the best interest of people that would be involved on that trip."

And I have to agree with him.
I agree with him on Thursday (when he said it), but not on Tuesday and Wednesday when LSU demanded an answer. The problem is Sankey. Sankey should have forced the decision on Wednesday at the latest and not let Florida play " let's check the forecast for today" game. If they didn't want Baton Rouge and couldn't reschedule a Sunday and Monday night game, then play it at Ladd, GA dome, jhs or bds, or play it at the Hoover Met. There were options on the table on Wednesday.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

My guess is that November 19 will involve LSU coming to Gainesville but Florida writing a 8-10m check to LSU in the process. I think it is one way for Sankey to salvage some precedent that encourages more amicable solutions in the future.

tmv85

All-SEC

Here is my suggestion for future scheduling. Move all conference championship games to the 2nd weekend in December. If and when situations arise that lead to postponing a game, the first weekend in December would be set aside for those games. Teams playing in their conference championship would have a week between the end of the regular season and the championship game, unless they were involved in the make up game. Bowl games would start the following weekend. There may be some aspect I'm overlooking that would make this solution impractical though.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The good thing is we dont have a dog in this hunt. Ill just sit back and watch.
If anything, it could help us. Here are three possible scenarios.

LSU loses an off week right before us to play Florida.

Florida plays LSU while we rest the week before the SECCG.

We lose to LSU but win the division with us at 7-1 and them at 6-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

But......Florida AD Jeremy Foley stated this:

"Impossible to accommodate that request, which we greatly appreciated,'' Foley said. "I think everyone in this room understands how the University of Florida feels about playing LSU. This series is very important to our fan base and important to this institution, but to try and put a road trip together of 150-plus people in a day and half … again, not in the best interest of safety, not in the best interest of people that would be involved on that trip."

And I have to agree with him.
So they were able to evacuate the entire team, but rerouting to Baton Rogue wasn't possible?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

My guess is that November 19 will involve LSU coming to Gainesville but Florida writing a 8-10m check to LSU in the process. I think it is one way for Sankey to salvage some precedent that encourages more amicable solutions in the future.
From the linked article Post #67 above:

The SEC has a new lost-revenue insurance policy that went into effect this year. LSU reportedly makes $3 million per home game, and insurance would cover that. It already has to account for one Florida home game. That policy — or the league itself — also may be able to pay the Nov. 19 contract buyouts for the Presbyterian (Florida) and South Alabama (LSU) games, which would be less than $2 million in total.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

At first this was on UF. They, in my opinion, did everything possible to not play this game Saturday. They took a stance on the hurricane, which I won't blast, and then made sure there was no plan "b".

Saying they couldn't make arrangements to go to BR just isn't true, as LSU had arranged lodging for the full contingent of people UF would bring. They should have at LEAST tentatively scheduled for Sunday or Monday (a holiday).

Now, this is on LSU. Can't change the past, but Alleva said today "LSU WILL play a home game Nov. 19". That was definitive, and he refuses to budge because it's their last home game. He also refuses to reshuffle their schedule to get the game in.

I personally think Sankey should give the two schools a deadline, and an ultimatum, that they get a deal done. I have varying thoughts on punishment ranging from severe fines, to disqualification from SEC contendership, if they can't get the deal done.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I personally think Sankey should give the two schools a deadline, and an ultimatum, that they get a deal done. I have varying thoughts on punishment ranging from severe fines, to disqualification from SEC contendership, if they can't get the deal done.
I think all it would take is to announce that if the game isn't played they will both be charged with a forfeit - that removes any positive outcome by not making it happen.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

At first this was on UF. They, in my opinion, did everything possible to not play this game Saturday. They took a stance on the hurricane, which I won't blast, and then made sure there was no plan "b".

Saying they couldn't make arrangements to go to BR just isn't true, as LSU had arranged lodging for the full contingent of people UF would bring. They should have at LEAST tentatively scheduled for Sunday or Monday (a holiday).

Now, this is on LSU. Can't change the past, but Alleva said today "LSU WILL play a home game Nov. 19". That was definitive, and he refuses to budge because it's their last home game. He also refuses to reshuffle their schedule to get the game in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Can someone tell me how much authority Sankey has over this situation? He released a statement today saying they need to play the game and get together and work it out blah, blah, blah. He sounds weak on the situation and this entire mess is turning into an embarrassment for the SEC. If it's within his authority, he should tell both schools to work it out within the next couple of days or he will decide what to do about it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Can someone tell me how much authority Sankey has over this situation? He released a statement today saying they need to play the game and get together and work it out blah, blah, blah. He sounds weak on the situation and this entire mess is turning into an embarrassment for the SEC. If it's within his authority, he should tell both schools to work it out within the next couple of days or he will decide what to do about it.
From Finebaum's show:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

He can basically say that the game will be held at legion field tommrow. The problem is that he doesn't have a backbone when he needs one. Sure he can tell CNS that Maurice Smith will play this year when he has 13 other ADs to back him, but when he has multiple parties saying different things on the issue for different reasons he just cowers underneath his desk. There are more problems with him not forcing a deal last week than foley and alleva's PR battle. Tennessee is going to be more and more vocal about this game not being played as time moves on, and UGA today has stated that they are going to be very vocal if the 1 option that some body presented about moving the UGA-UF game up for a spot for the LSU -UF game.

Sanky really has been exposed to not being anywhere near Kramer and Slive's pedigree.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I may be incorrect, but my understanding of the sec bylaws is that only the commissioner had the authority to cancel or postpone the game originally. It appears that he never exercised that authority. I am basing these comments on what I have seen on Finebaum. Now at this point, I have no idea what authority he has as to ensuring the game is played. ........Well it appears that I was late with my post. Sorry.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I don't know who to believe as it is a big PR battle over who can put the best spin on it. I think both are lying and both are telling the truth in parts.

I am just glad we aren't involved. It would be better if it was the barn and UT, but I'll take what I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

"One thing we're going to hold very firm on is we have a home game on Nov. 19 — and we're going to have a home game on Nov. 19," Alleva said. "We're not going to change that situation."

AD: LSU won't lose Nov. 19 home game to play at Florida

I don't blame LSU's AD for not wanting to lose a home game. I am proud of our AD for standing up for what is in Florida's best interest. If this happened to Alabama I suspect everyone here would stand by Coach Battle's decision as well.

You can second guess the decision making all you want but what's done is done and if postponing the game meant preserving the safety of everyone involved.....including the fans....I don't know how you could argue against that.

Things may yet work out - you never know....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

AD: LSU won't lose Nov. 19 home game to play at Florida

I don't blame LSU's AD for not wanting to lose a home game. I am proud of our AD for standing up for what is in Florida's best interest. If this happened to Alabama I suspect everyone here would stand by Coach Battle's decision as well.

You can second guess the decision making all you want but what's done is done and if postponing the game meant preserving the safety of everyone involved.....including the fans....I don't know how you could argue against that.

Things may yet work out - you never know....
Honestly, I think that Alabama would much rather get Florida than TN again in the SECCG, so no one here really cares when it gets down to brass tacks. I mean, no offense, but Alabama would probably beat the Gators by 30.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Honestly, I think that Alabama would much rather get Florida than TN again in the SECCG, so no one here really cares when it gets down to brass tacks. I mean, no offense, but Alabama would probably beat the Gators by 30.
No offense taken at all....Alabama is obviously a great team and deserves to be favored in any game they play this season going forward. Florida is still in the rebuilding stages so naturally they would be huge underdogs in that game.

That said.....30 points? Seriously? :cool:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.