GA News: OnlineAthens - Clock issues a ‘debacle’ at end of half for Bulldogs

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
October 9th, 2016 07:35 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. | Georgia went to the locker room with a two touchdown lead Sunday at South Carolina, but the Bulldogs never got a shot to put more points on the board as time ran out on coach Kirby Smart after a holding penalty.
“It was just a debacle, to be honest with you,” Smart after the 28-14 win. “We got some bad information, thought the clock was going to stop on the penalty and it didn’t.”
Godwin was flagged after grabbing a hold of a Gamecock defender downfield during a Brian Herrien run. That pushed the ball back to the 29-yard line on a third-and-13 with five seconds showing on the scoreboard.
Smart wanted to use a timeout he still had left with a second left in the half to take a shot at the end zone on a Hail Mary and he came out to argue his case to the near hashmark to no avail.
He said that he didn’t like the chances of kicker Rodrigo Blankenship making the 46-yard field goal into the wind.
“The clock started and we didn’t call timeout so it’s just mismanagement, to be honest with you,” Smart said. “I felt like we left one out there right there at the end.”
Touchdown on onsides kick best decision for Godwin?
Godwin did something a Georgia player had not done for 13 years Saturday, but Kirby Smart would have been happy if he didn’t.
Godwin’s 43-yard touchdown off an onsides kick put Georgia ahead 28-14 with 1:33 to play, but there was a danger in trying to take it the distance.
“Did you see the Tennessee-Texas A&M game?” Smart said. “If he runs down and gets it punched out ... but it worked. So what does everybody base it on? Results. I would suggest getting down, which is what I encouraged him to do.”
Smart didn’t try to get Godwin’s attention during the play.
“He wouldn’t hear me,” Smart said. “But a valuable lesson can be learned from that.”
Godwin said he saw a wide open hole and said “go score” after what he called “perfect” blocking from Georgia’s front line on a kick he said he picked up on a low bounce at midsection.
“I thought about it,” he said when asked if he thought about falling to the ground with the ball. “The hole was so wide open, I was just like `Just go score. Just go score.’”
The last Georgia player to return an onsides kick for a touchdown was Athens native Damien Gary who went 44 yards against South Carolina in 2003.
It was Godwin’s first touchdown of the season but he did not have a catch on the day.
The sophomore has 13 catches for 179 yards this season.

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.