Arkansas player holding Hurts' head after INT

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Unsportsman like conduct seems to fit the bill on this one. It was my impression that the game is trying to protect quarterbacks and this just reeks of mal behavior.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
He was holding him on the ground. I've literally seen this called holding before. I've seen OL fall on people and just sit there resulting in a flag.
Agree to an extent. It wasn't "just" holding, it was how and where he was holding. With all the emphasis on player safety, this almost has to warrant a flag, if not a suspension.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I saw this happen on TV. It looked to me at first that he was checking Hurts to see if he was ok. But looking at the still photos of it, it sure doesn't appear that way. Has Hurts commented on this?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I saw this happen on TV. It looked to me at first that he was checking Hurts to see if he was ok. But looking at the still photos of it, it sure doesn't appear that way. Has Hurts commented on this?
Hurts is a freshman and you won't hear a comment from him. I thought it was cheap and definitely a penalty, either holding or unsportsmanlike conduct.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Either that was unsportsmanlike or holding. I'm not sure how that wasn't a penalty.
I said it during and after the game - this was among the worst officiated games I've ever seen. They missed calls constantly and some of the calls they made were completely wrong (against both teams).

These refs need to be benched or fired. They were absolutely awful.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I said it during and after the game - this was among the worst officiated games I've ever seen. They missed calls constantly and some of the calls they made were completely wrong (against both teams).

Was that the same crew from the OM game?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Local radio host just went on a rant about officials against "the black helicopter" crowd thinking officials being bad, being bias or possibly letting the betting line affect their job.

Not sure how anyone could watch that game and not see officials were trash.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I thought it was bad, but I would rather the guy hold Hurts down the way he did instead of blindsiding him. This looked bad but it could have been worse.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I thought it was bad, but I would rather the guy hold Hurts down the way he did instead of blindsiding him. This looked bad but it could have been worse.
When I first saw it I thought it odd, but not menacing or cheap. I honestly think he was holding him down, like "don't get up, you're just going to get killed if you do..."

If you watch it in real time, he's not doing anything, just pressing down on him - and Hurts isn't acting like anything is hurting. http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/A...n-Hurts-head-to-the-ground-after-INT-48114713

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
When I first saw it I thought it odd, but not menacing or cheap. I honestly think he was holding him down, like "don't get up, you're just going to get killed if you do..."

If you watch it in real time, he's not doing anything, just pressing down on him - and Hurts isn't acting like anything is hurting. http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/A...n-Hurts-head-to-the-ground-after-INT-48114713
I get the feeling if Hurts was really hurting from it, somebody would have gotten the guy back kind of like in baseball like throwing at someone. I did notice after a few seconds #75 was coming to help out with the situation.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

on the one hold they called on arky that negated the score, i'm pretty sure that they came out of one of the late commercial breaks showing the camera angle from the ez and in that you can see the arky lineman is bear-hugging tomlinson (?) who spins out of the hold and falls down. it doesn't look like a hold on the angle they showed on replay in real-time, but from the ez you could see what looked like a blatant hold, and the ref that called the penalty was standing right in front of the endzone looking at the play.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
During the TV broadcast, I honestly thought it was a cheap shot choke hold.

Watching the replays (and I haven't noticed one in this thread that shows the sequence all the way up until Hurts begins to get off the ground), you can see that the hand that APPEARS to be grasping Hurts' neck is actually holding a wad of jersey about where his name is.

The "looking around" is the defensive player looking over at the ball, seeing a turnover, then holding Hurts down to keep him from pursuing.

I would be offended if this was a dangerous, cheap shot move. However, my impression is that it's really nothing (other than possibly a "holding" call that would never/should never be called at ANY level from peewee to NFL.)

I would bet my last dollar that if you could talk to Jalen, he was never in any pain and probably thought nothing of it.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Officiating in the SEC is very poor. Rather than improve the situation, the Conference Office pushes the narrative that officiating is really hard and therefore no one should criticize the poor refs who get it right most of the time. It's sort of pathetic, really.

I think a penalty could have been called on this play. If you are a defensive end (and team captain) and the other team's quarterback is lying face down on the field, why do you touch him at all? In the same game where a player was flagged for "roughing the passer" because he grabbed the quarterback's legs in an attempt to tackle him why lying on the ground, no less.

If that had been Allen or Williams on their quarterback, all of Hog Nation would be screaming for a suspension, with Dirty Bert leading the chorus.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.