Arkansas player holding Hurts' head after INT

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
During the TV broadcast, I honestly thought it was a cheap shot choke hold.

Watching the replays (and I haven't noticed one in this thread that shows the sequence all the way up until Hurts begins to get off the ground), you can see that the hand that APPEARS to be grasping Hurts' neck is actually holding a wad of jersey about where his name is.

The "looking around" is the defensive player looking over at the ball, seeing a turnover, then holding Hurts down to keep him from pursuing.

I would be offended if this was a dangerous, cheap shot move. However, my impression is that it's really nothing (other than possibly a "holding" call that would never/should never be called at ANY level from peewee to NFL.)

I would bet my last dollar that if you could talk to Jalen, he was never in any pain and probably thought nothing of it.
All of this. If you look real close, you can tell the wad of jersey the guy grabbed was actually BELOW the number and the jersey just slid way up. The other hand as a wad of jersey at the shoulder. Like I said earlier, could probably be called for a hold, but there wasn't anything there that needed more discipline or a suspension. Did the guy have to do it? Well, his team just got the ball and as a defensive player on a turnover your job is to find someone to block and keep from pursuing your teammate. Keeping a guy on the ground is a way to do that...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It was tough watching our D get held every passing play & watching the refs watch it without calling the holds..

It allowed the game to become closer than it should have been cause at times The Hawgs O-Line looked like they were auditioning for The WWE with all the times our Boy's wer mugged & tacked to the ground..The Hawgs took advantage of the lax officiating to their credit..

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't agree with the method in which he held down JH head, but if a player you are blocking is on the ground, you have the right to try to keep his there.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't agree with the method in which he held down JH head, but if a player you are blocking is on the ground, you have the right to try to keep his there.
Pretty much my opinion as well. It wasn't "brutal" in the sense that he was trying to hurt him from what I could see. It was just an effective method to keep a man down on the ground...and probably try and intimidate/humiliate the freshman a little bit. I don't think it worked. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.