Arkansas player holding Hurts' head after INT

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Watching the replay tonight and the announcer intimated this was done so Hurt wouldn't get up and try to make a tackle and maybe get hurt. To me it looked more sinister. Has there been discussion about this?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The announcer (I'm not sure which one it was) should be really embarrassed for his comments. The Arky player was very obviously pushing Jalen's head into the ground. There should have been an unsportsmanlike penalty. My opinion...this type of behavior is a reflection of the head coach.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Anyone of you cheer when Aaron Murray got his clock cleaned? Quarterbacks are fair game on interceptions, I'll take what he got over what could've happened if he was up and running to make a tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
There's a fine line between the two plays:

1. The murray hit is a clean play. He ran out the box, got intercepted, tried to help defense and became a defender. He got hit right in front of his face (though he looked at the other way). That might hurt yet it is super clean.

2. What arky did was totally dirty play and should be reviewed and banned later on.

3. The Fanney body slammed mizzou player one might be put into comparison though.

Anyone of you cheer when Aaron Murray got his clock cleaned? Quarterbacks are fair game on interceptions, I'll take what he got over what could've happened if he was up and running to make a tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
There's a fine line between the two plays:

1. The murray hit is a clean play. He ran out the box, got intercepted, tried to help defense and became a defender. He got hit right in front of his face (though he looked at the other way). That might hurt yet it is super clean.

2. What arky did was totally dirty play and should be reviewed and banned later on.

3. The Fanney body slammed mizzou player one might be put into comparison though.
I completely agree with your assessment of what the Arkansas player did. However, Jalen walked away unscathed whilst Murray was scrapped off the turf by his O-lineman. I bet nothing would've pleased one of the Hog players more than knocking Jalen Hurts outta the game and possibly the season.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I didn't see anything sinister or suspension worthy. Maybe a holding penalty, at most, but you're not going to get that call.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I didn't see anything sinister or suspension worthy. Maybe a holding penalty, at most, but you're not going to get that call.
I agree. It's not like he dropped a knee into Hurts back or something like that. Honestly it didn't even look like he was pushing Hurts into the turf, rather he was just holding him in place.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I agree. It's not like he dropped a knee into Hurts back or something like that. Honestly it didn't even look like he was pushing Hurts into the turf, rather he was just holding him in place.
So if it was your son being treated like that you would, you would not complain? It was unsportsman like but not dirty. It should have been called.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A 300 lb guy pushing down on your neck....

Can we teach them not to hold them in place by pressing down on his neck?

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
We know that players use cheap tactics to get ahead from time to time, especially in piles ... but that was flat-out ridiculous. He even looked around to make sure no one was watching while he was doing it. JH couldnt respond for risk of getting a penalty. He got away with one that could have potentially bode bad for us. Its not the same as a clean hit or block in the play of the game ... its the equivalent of stomping on a player while they are on the ground.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The picture doesn't show how dirty the play was. He repeatedly kept pushing down on it and looked around several times making sure that no one was looking. Hurts handled it perfectly, he simply won't be deterred by anything that happens on the field, he's too mature to get involved with crap like this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'd submit it to the SEC Office and just confirm that this is a legal tactic and it is okay if our players do the same thing. If the SEC office came back and gave the "green light" I'd definitely teach my players to exploit the rule to the fullest. Because if that can be done on the QB then obviously it can be done to other players as well.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
To me this is a personal foul/dangerous because he's pushing down on his head. If he were doing this on his back, legs, etc... I'd say it's just a hold. But with the way football is going, protecting the head/neck area, you've got to call this a personal foul just for safety reasons.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So if it was your son being treated like that you would, you would not complain? It was unsportsman like but not dirty. It should have been called.
I think you just agreed with me without meaning to.

My agreement was to the point that there was nothing suspension worthy (i.e. not dirty).

It wasn't a classy move by any means, and was probably holding, but that wasn't going to get a roughing the passer or unsportsmanlike conduct call. To deserve that it would have to be something with more velocity and impact. If I was the kids coach I would absolutely tell him to never do that again, but I'm not going to suspend him for that...

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Pushing is not holding. Something doesn't look right though. "Giving him the business?"
Nope, "Giving him the business" is a specific foul, involving punches being thrown. Youtube it-hearing the call is hysterical. *Couldn't resist providing the link myself.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.