What is up with the defensive secondary?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No, my argument is that Humphrey is consistenly in position to make a play on the ball, just like he was here. But he doesn't. Whether it's falling down, swatting at the ball and missing, or just allowing the catch because of separation.

But you're probably right. Humphrey is playing lights out. No question. As is Ronnie Harrison.

90% of the fanbase and Nick Saban are way off here. These secondary issue threads should probably be deleted. ;)

The size of our corners aren't the problem. The problem is they never turn around and look for the ball when they're in phase with the receiver on vertical routes.

Granted, I have not read your dialogue with other posters but in our dialogue your argument has been the corners aren't turning around to play the ball and that's the problem. The video you posted shows Marlon actually turning around and attempting to play the ball. He just prematurely turns around which ironically is what causes the separation.

But I get the overall sentiment. You're frustrated about our secondary getting burnt on long balls. So am I. I'm just as frustrated. But, I believe it's more complex than what you're making out to be. Hopefully they'll work on it this week and get better. That's all we can hope for. :)

Last edited:

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Glad you admitted it - he graded out extremely well for the Arky game: http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274855

Harrison played better against Arkansas, but he usually stays burnt. Wonder how PFF graded him on this touchdown that zoomed right by his head in the end zone. Again, in perfect position, but the result is the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...d3qarIxTf4Bs9GJOA&sig2=lKsf3Ib4qXuQl0UrWkFWpw

PFF is garbage. I've been around football a lot longer than PFF has. I know what I see. I'll come back tomorrow and show you why it's garbage.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Granted, I have not read your dialogue with other posters but in our dialogue your argument has been the corners aren't turning around to play the ball and that's the problem. The video you posted shows Marlon actually turning around and attempting to play the ball. He just prematurely turns around which ironically is what causes the separation.

But I get the overall sentiment. You're frustrated about our secondary getting burnt on long balls. So am I. I'm just as frustrated. But, I believe it's more complex than what you're making out to be. Hopefully they'll work on it this week and get better. That's all we can hope for. :)

Sometimes the issue is the DB's don't turn and look for the ball. How many times have you been watching the game and everybody around you is yelling "TURN AROUND BALL!!" while the ball is in the air? But they just don't do it despite being in phase?

Sometimes the issue is that they just misplay the ball because they're not used to turning around and making a play on it. And they fall down...

Sometimes it's just a perfect throw and you have to just give credit to the QB and receiver. Yes it's a combination of things. But nothing is more frustrating to watch again and again for me personally than seeing them in position and just not turning to look for the ball. When if they'd have just done it, the ball would've stuck right in their chest and had an easy pick. Instead they run through the receiver and get a flag.

Make no mistake, I fully expect Saban to address Humphrey specifically. And I hope he plays well vs. Tennessee. But he simply hasn't played well so far. Too many completions, big plays, and TD's given up. He's close, he just has to start finishing at the catch point.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I think the D will be fine, if you deduct the 14 points they scored from the 30 then Ark only scored 16. I think the problem is soon as they scored the not's and we scored quick after one of the interceptions, then we turned the ball over once, we were right back on the field. Ark had 84 plays, the D was worn out, like someone else said the penalties also came at a good time for them on several of those drives.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I'm going to say it again here.
If you take away the 5 or 6 first downs gained by defensive penalty, nobody would be complaining about the defense.
A couple of those penalties were questionable but the rear were legit. 3-4 defensive penalties for first downs is too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, Bama is currently 39th in FBS in passing efficiency D, which while not amazing, isn't awful. We're pushing teams hard enough with our offensive and non-offensive TDs that everyone is abandoning the run and passing like crazy.

Can the secondary play better? Sure, and I think they will continue to improve. But playing ranked teams with strong offenses who are franticly trying to keep up with Bama's scoring isn't going to help the defensive stats.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Remember, the next 2 games you will have another DB on the field. You ran your base defense against Arkansas, and it really isn't your base defense anymore.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. They're not as good as they looked against USC, Kentucky, etc. but also not as bad as they looked against Arky and Ole Miss.

Honestly, I would be more concerned if I didn't feel like we had the personnel. We have four guys that played heavily last year, and they're all more than capable. Just gotta play with better discipline and get the mistakes cleaned up.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
he's right about PFF... it's a flawed system. it's great as far as stat keepers though..Harrison didnt have a great game at all other than "their" made up system.

Harrison played better against Arkansas, but he usually stays burnt. Wonder how PFF graded him on this touchdown that zoomed right by his head in the end zone. Again, in perfect position, but the result is the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...d3qarIxTf4Bs9GJOA&sig2=lKsf3Ib4qXuQl0UrWkFWpw

PFF is garbage. I've been around football a lot longer than PFF has. I know what I see. I'll come back tomorrow and show you why it's garbage.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I have been complaining about the secondary position for several years. we have recruited excellent corners, safeties. our overall defense ratings have been excellent because of the def, and linebackers. we stop the run consistently, but, we always show up lacking in the secondary. how many times just this year, with good qbs, they consistently succeed on 3d down pass plays, many 6 yards or more. Humphrey was doing a good job last year, he is bigger and stronger, but, is not making the plays. he appears to depend on the receiver getting his hands on the ball, and breaking it up. I watched him and Harrison a lot in the arky game. out of position, not focusing on the play. no way with the pressure put on arkys qb there should be 400 yards of passing. I really believe our secondary is expected to do to much, I think they could simplify assignments and be more effective, play a little more zone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.