Question: When Does Brian Kelly Start Feeling the Heat in South Bend?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Notre Dame has plenty of talent. They have absolutely no business losing to Duke or NC State.

Kizer is an NFL QB. They've got talent just about everywhere. Don't get me wrong; I think even if they played to their best they would still lose to the likes of Alabama with regularity with this year's team. But there is no reason that Notre Dame cannot compete on a national level with consistency if a program like Stanford can. It's a unique challenge, with several self-induced restrictions to overcome. But it can be overcome.

Kelly is simply a mediocre coach not up to the challenge.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Brian Kelly is already feeling the heat. History shows that ND has been more patient with Kelly than any other prior coach who hasn't won a NC there. Before Kelly there has been no ND coach who has lasted more than 5 seasons without winning a NC. This is Kelly's 7th season so I'm sure patience is getting very thin there. I guess the only reason he's been there this long is that he made it to the NC game once before losing to us.
Where did THAT time go? Hard to believe Kelly is already in his 7th season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Kelly was going to be on a hotseat no matter what given how the season has played out but the way he has behaved has done no favors to his cause. I think he's feeling the heat. They really overachieved last year given their injuries, so many in their fanbase were expecting big things in 2016. A total crash and burn isn't really something Kelly has experienced at ND in his tenure and he is definitely not handling it well at all.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Lou Holtz said on the radio that he doesn't foresee any changes coming at ND, especially with him just signing a long term contract. Personally, I'd have to do some serious thinking if I was A.D. They have no business ever being flat out mediocre.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I cannot see Meyer leaving Columbus for any other college program. Contrary to what the media and ND loyalists believe; ND is no longer the top of the mountain in college football. Scholarship limitations and academic requirements has for the most part neutered the Fighting Irish. The loss to Duke at home should be the "handwriting on the wall" for letting Kelly go. They would now have a hard time competing as a full time member of the ACC. ND is simply not the job it once was.
Academic standards aside, people told us the exact same thing as we were in the process of hiring Saban.

I, for one, am not going to tell anyone that "X" job is not the job it once was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I cannot see Meyer leaving Columbus for any other college program. Contrary to what the media and ND loyalists believe; ND is no longer the top of the mountain in college football. Scholarship limitations and academic requirements has for the most part neutered the Fighting Irish. The loss to Duke at home should be the "handwriting on the wall" for letting Kelly go. They would now have a hard time competing as a full time member of the ACC. ND is simply not the job it once was.
Meyer isn't leaving tosu because tosu is a better job than notre dame plain and simple.

The problem with Notre Dame is that they are this blue blood team that fights the change of time. They do things like they did them when ara was there and they think that the name ND will solve all problems.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I would be shocked if Urban Meyer ever went to ND. Meyer is coaching a football power in the state he was born. I can't imagine a better deal than that. Even if ND would offer him mega-bucks I think he stays where he's at. The only way he leaves Ohio State is if he starts losing.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
So to repeat my point in more detail. Notre Dame doesn't have much place to go but down. Kelly is a fine coach for them.

There is some slippage, but all of the turnover doesn't help any program until it's clear that a coach is burned out or that he's lost the locker room.

Truth is there are only a handful of programs or coaches for those programs that have been able to maintain the ability to compete year in and year out, we're fortunate to have one of those coaches. I get, that he's doing a bit more than just not competing as he may not make bowl game, but after years of being irrelevant, Kelly took them to an undefeated regular season a BCS title bid, then they were one play away from being in the playoffs just LAST YEAR.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...turnover doesn't help any program until it's clear that a coach is burned out or that he's lost the locker room...
(1) Many Alabama fans' 2006 arguments in favor of retaining Mike Shula were very similar. "We're 'that' close..."

(2) Unless I'm mistaken (me?), Shula HAD lost the locker room with, amongst other things, his tendency to play favorites

(3) CBK probably lost the locker room with his January, 2013 public flirtation with the Eagles. If not, he's almost certainly lost it with his abysmal coaching since then

It's safe to say ND won't win the FBS Championship this year, and that will make their drought 28 years, the longest in their history by 11 years. Look how ready we were in 2007 to buy wholesale into CNS after a title drought exactly half that long. I have trouble believing that there exists nowhere a top tier coach who not only believes he can return ND to glory, but actually can...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I would be shocked if Urban Meyer ever went to ND. Meyer is coaching a football power in the state he was born. I can't imagine a better deal than that. Even if ND would offer him mega-bucks I think he stays where he's at. The only way he leaves Ohio State is if he starts losing.
Agreed. No way he'd leave OSU

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So to repeat my point in more detail. Notre Dame doesn't have much place to go but down. Kelly is a fine coach for them.
His 68% winning percentage ranks 17th in Notre Dame coaching history. Take out the 2012 season, and his percentage drops to 63%.

Of course, that season still counts, but everyone knew that team was very fortunate to go undefeated. They won 6 one-possession games.

There is some slippage, but all of the turnover doesn't help any program until it's clear that a coach is burned out or that he's lost the locker room.
He's been there seven years. They've given him time. Going 4-8 at Notre Dame isn't acceptable.

Truth is there are only a handful of programs or coaches for those programs that have been able to maintain the ability to compete year in and year out, we're fortunate to have one of those coaches. I get, that he's doing a bit more than just not competing as he may not make bowl game, but after years of being irrelevant, Kelly took them to an undefeated regular season a BCS title bid, then they were one play away from being in the playoffs just LAST YEAR.
They haven't competed year in and year out, though. His 9.2-3.8 average record entering this season shows that. They competed for a national title once.

They were out of the title race before the end of September in his first year of 2010.

By October 22, they were out of it in 2011.

November 9 is the day they officially lost their chance at a title in 2013.

November 15 is when they were out of it in 2014.

A lost to Stanford on November 28 last year saw them lose any chance of playing for a title.

With the exception of 2015, I went to their third loss of the season. If I stopped at second loss, they were finished in the second week of the season in 2011, September 28 in 2013, and November 8 in 2014.

You say they were one play away from being in the playoffs last year. Were they?

Clemson would have had to lose to UNC in the ACC title game (Clemson held head-to-head advantage).

Alabama would have had to lose the SEC title game.

Oklahoma already won the Big 12.

Stanford would have had to lose in the Pac-12 title game (held head-to-head advantage).

Oh, and Ohio State was ahead of ND in the playoff rankings going into Championship Saturday, so that was another roadblock for ND to overcome in order to make the playoffs.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
His 68% winning percentage ranks 17th in Notre Dame coaching history. Take out the 2012 season, and his percentage drops to 63%.

Of course, that season still counts, but everyone knew that team was very fortunate to go undefeated. They won 6 one-possession games.

He's been there seven years. They've given him time. Going 4-8 at Notre Dame isn't acceptable.

They haven't competed year in and year out, though. His 9.2-3.8 average record entering this season shows that. They PLAYED IN A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME once.

They were out of the title race before the end of September in his first year of 2010.

By October 22, they were out of it in 2011.

November 9 is the day they officially lost their chance at a title in 2013.

November 15 is when they were out of it in 2014.

A lost to Stanford on November 28 last year saw them lose any chance of playing for a title.

With the exception of 2015, I went to their third loss of the season. If I stopped at second loss, they were finished in the second week of the season in 2011, September 28 in 2013, and November 8 in 2014.

You say they were one play away from being in the playoffs last year. Were they?

Clemson would have had to lose to UNC in the ACC title game (Clemson held head-to-head advantage).

Alabama would have had to lose the SEC title game.

Oklahoma already won the Big 12.

Stanford would have had to lose in the Pac-12 title game (held head-to-head advantage).

Oh, and Ohio State was ahead of ND in the playoff rankings going into Championship Saturday, so that was another roadblock for ND to overcome in order to make the playoffs.
FIFY

To say they competed in that game is a stretch

[emoji57]

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The question is whether Jack Swarbrick will swallow his pride & fire him after giving him a six year extension last year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.