What is your favorite win vs Tennessee?

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
1972 in Neyland.

"With 2:39 left in the game, Alabama took possession at the Vols 48-yard line, and three plays later Wilbur Jackson scored on a two-yard run. On the Tennessee possession that ensued, John Mitchell recovered a Holloway fumble at the Vols' 17-yard line. On the next play, Terry Davis gave Alabama a 17–10 lead with his touchdown run with just over one minute left in the game.[SUP][30][/SUP] The victory improved Alabama's all-time record against Tennessee to 25–23–7." From wiki

IIRC, Woodrow Lowe put a one jarring tackle on Holloway that caused the fumble that BigJohn Mitchell recovered. It was a great trip back to Tuscaloosa.
Pat Dye convinced Coach Bryant not to try an onside kick after the first touchdown.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I don't recall the year... mid-1980's I think... Bobby Humphrey was the featured RB. Bama was running student-body-left / student-body-right and Humphrey was repeatedly knocking off 10+ yard runs marching down the field. Bama won of course. I had the pleasure of watching that game with two Tennessee co-workers. They didn't enjoy the game as I recall.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't recall the year... mid-1980's I think... Bobby Humphrey was the featured RB. Bama was running student-body-left / student-body-right and Humphrey was repeatedly knocking off 10+ yard runs marching down the field. Bama won of course. I had the pleasure of watching that game with two Tennessee co-workers. They didn't enjoy the game as I recall.
That was 1986. Remember it like it was yesterday. We ran at will against them that day and scored over 50 pts against them in Knoxville. We won 56-28.

Last edited:

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
1973 was a good one.

First play of game - 80-yard bomb to Wayne Wheeler. From the wishbone, of course.

Game was tied 21-21 in the 4th quarter. Wilbur went 80 yards and we had a punt return to wind up winning 42-21.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
1972 in Neyland.

"With 2:39 left in the game, Alabama took possession at the Vols 48-yard line, and three plays later Wilbur Jackson scored on a two-yard run. On the Tennessee possession that ensued, John Mitchell recovered a Holloway fumble at the Vols' 17-yard line. On the next play, Terry Davis gave Alabama a 17–10 lead with his touchdown run with just over one minute left in the game.[SUP][30][/SUP] The victory improved Alabama's all-time record against Tennessee to 25–23–7." From wiki

IIRC, Woodrow Lowe put a one jarring tackle on Holloway that caused the fumble that BigJohn Mitchell recovered. It was a great trip back to Tuscaloosa.
I was at this game also and could not believe Bama did not attempt an onside kick after the Wilbur Jackson score. No way Coach Bryant would play for a tie! Right!? Learned later that Pat Dye had talked him out of it. Dye assured him the defense would get the ball back. They did!

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
That was 1986. Remember it like it was yesterday. We ran at will against them that day and scored over 50 pts against them in Knoxville. We won 56-28.
Correct. Broke a 4 game losing streak to ut. The only 4 losses in a TWENTY FOUR YEAR period! 1971-1994. Made the mistake of scheduling Penn State on the Second Saturday in October in those 4 years.

Individual Game Results of Alabama (vs Tennessee), 1971-1994

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...t=1971&end=1994&team1=Alabama&team2=Tennessee

Last edited:

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Coach Saban's first year 2007. Game in Tuscaloosa, went with my boss at the time. He's a big UT fan and we'd only won 2 of the previous 12. He ran his mouth all the way down as we drove from Nashville, Eric Ainge is gonna play on Sunday's, blah, blah, blah. Kept calling John Parker Wilson Sarah Jessica Parker.

Opening kick we on-side and recover. Ainge threw 3 interceptions, I believe. It was a really fun day! 42-17!

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The two that stick out for me are 2007 (started the game off with an onside kick that I'm not sure most of the stadium realized had happened) and Rocky Block 2009. My wife (girlfriend at the time) refused to watch so she turned around from the game. There were so many people high-fiving and hugging other random people they didn't know.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
07 holds a special place in my heart as well because we were down a couple of starters due to the textbook scandal and absolutely took them to the woodshed. It was the first of a two game "processing" of Fulmer by Saban.
Coach Saban's first year 2007. Game in Tuscaloosa, went with my boss at the time. He's a big UT fan and we'd only won 2 of the previous 12. He ran his mouth all the way down as we drove from Nashville, Eric Ainge is gonna play on Sunday's, blah, blah, blah. Kept calling John Parker Wilson Sarah Jessica Parker.

Opening kick we on-side and recover. Ainge threw 3 interceptions, I believe. It was a really fun day! 42-17!
The two that stick out for me are 2007 (started the game off with an onside kick that I'm not sure most of the stadium realized had happened) and Rocky Block 2009.
The 2007 game destroyed my opinion of John Chavis. John Parker Wilson carved up their zone defense all day, and they had no answer.

"The defense takes this loss on our shoulders," Vols linebacker Jerod Mayo said.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
2009----the Rocky Block has to be my favorite. It saved an eventual National Championship.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I was in the drumline at Neyland 88. We beat them in Knoxville and we started the 0-6 chant that spread to the a much larger area.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.