Whiny Bret Bielema Makes False Claim About Ref on Monday, Backtracks on Wednesday

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
Re: Whiny Bret Bielema: "I've Been Guaranteed We'll Never See that Official Again"

Good grief, he's such a baby.
Funny, he did not have a problem with the questionable roughing the passer call against us. I don't believe quality officiating is his goal. It's to work the refs to his favor.

But he way, Bama was a victim of some horrible calls at Ole Miss and none of our coaches went on the field.

10 straight makes me happy!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: Whiny Bret Bielema: "I've Been Guaranteed We'll Never See that Official Again"

I personally thought the Ref blew that call in our favor. But I'm more curious why Bret thinks he'll never see that official again, and who guaranteed that to him?
That's what I'm wondering too. I don't think I've ever seen/heard a case of a referee being "black balled" on certain teams before. Obviously referees aren't allowed to work games in which their alma mater is playing but this is totally different. Did Sankey seriously promise Bert that official would never work another Arkansas game again? That's absurd...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

That's what I'm wondering too. I don't think I've ever seen/heard a case of a referee being "black balled" on certain teams before. Obviously referees aren't allowed to work games in which their alma mater is playing but this is totally different. Did Sankey seriously promise Bert that official would never work another Arkansas game again? That's absurd...
Agreed. We were never able to rid ourselves of Tom Ritter or Penn Wagers.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014

^^^This^^^

I have never heard of this. I knew the alma mater rule, but I have never heard of a decision like this. I know refs can be suspended, but never heard of blackballing. If refs get blackballed for every iffy call that a coach doesn't like, all new refs would be required yearly. Don't refs work with the same crew for the year??? I think BB may be making that up to save face after costing his team 15 yards while they are trying to come back on the #1 team in the country.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Arky may not win an SEC game this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa. Sage.

I feel more zen about it now! lol. JBama comin with the tranquility.

Really it's just a chance continue making Bielema a punching bag; a exercise I am all to eager to engage in.
We have bigger fish to fry. Brett knows a thing or two about fish.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" using Tapatalk Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I believe that he is flat lying in his claim that he has been assured that he will not see that ref again - assuming that his claim is that someone in the SEC office or on the officiating team told him. Now, if he is saying that his best buddy told him that over a beer...

I totally get riding a ref for a bad call during the game, sometimes even to the point that you draw a flag. Your team needs to know that you have their back, and that stuff sometimes will buy you a "makeup" call/no call later in the game. But if this is still something consuming him while preparing for Ole Miss, his team is in trouble. Does anyone know - did he bring this up, or was this a response to a question from the media.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

The biggest winner in all of this is the referee who never has to go back to Arkansas.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Processed.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I believe that he is flat lying in his claim that he has been assured that he will not see that ref again - assuming that his claim is that someone in the SEC office or on the officiating team told him. Now, if he is saying that his best buddy told him that over a beer...

I totally get riding a ref for a bad call during the game, sometimes even to the point that you draw a flag. Your team needs to know that you have their back, and that stuff sometimes will buy you a "makeup" call/no call later in the game. But if this is still something consuming him while preparing for Ole Miss, his team is in trouble. Does anyone know - did he bring this up, or was this a response to a question from the media.
This is the only thing that makes sense. Otherwise this is a huge slippery slope...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

What's frustrating to BB and all coaches/fans is the inconsistency in officiating. There's a myriad of other plays that should have been called holding that weren't. Then the officials call the most ticky tack holding call imaginable. Not making excuse for the outburst from BB but I understand his frustration. If they're going to call the game tight then call it tight all game. Don't swallow your whistle when Tim Williams gets pretty much tackled on every play then decide to call a ticky tack one on a TD play..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

What's frustrating to BB and all coaches/fans is the inconsistency in officiating. There's a myriad of other plays that should have been called holding that weren't. Then the officials call the most ticky tack holding call imaginable. Not making excuse for the outburst from BB but I understand his frustration. If they're going to call the game tight then call it tight all game. Don't swallow your whistle when Tim Williams gets pretty much tackled on every play then decide to call a ticky tack one on a TD play..

No problem with a coach being frustrated about the officiating.

The issue is his tantrum and whining throughout the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I believe that he is flat lying in his claim that he has been assured that he will not see that ref again - assuming that his claim is that someone in the SEC office or on the officiating team told him.
Appears that way. From the SEC coaches' teleconference:

@TomMurphyADG Bielema is apologizing for his Monday comments that SEC umpire Stan Weihe would not work Ark games anymore. Said it was premature

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Appears that way. From the SEC coaches' teleconference

@TomMurphyADG Bielema is apologizing for his Monday comments that SEC umpire Stan Weihe would not work Ark games anymore. Said it was premature
Additional info from the SEC coaches' teleconference:

SEC umpire Stan Weihe is reported to be despondent.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

I actually thought there was sec league policy about coaches commenting on officiating?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I personally thought the Ref blew that call in our favor. But I'm more curious why Bret thinks he'll never see that official again, and who guaranteed that to him?
That is exactly what I wondered when I saw the headline. I can't see Shaw guaranteeing that to anyone. That would drop one whole crew from rotation. What if every coach got that "guarantee?" I think he misunderstood. If one official were knocked out from one particular school for a bad call, then there soon wouldn't be any left...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.