How realistic is it that a College team could beat an NFL team?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
NFL Players are bigger, stronger & just as fast college players or faster in actuality..The most important trait that only comes playing at an even higher level of play in the NFL, is they become "Wiser" in technique & with their of play in the NFL, if that maturation level is applied on a football field against, against a college football team..The young college "Whipper Snappers" wouldn't stand a chance in hell..

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Do any of you think we could hang with the Cleveland Browns for example? One argument I always see when it comes to this, is that every NFL team is basically a College all star team. All of them, even Cleveland. Because NFL players were some of the best players on their respective College team.

I know that College and the NFL used to play each other a loooooooooooong time ago.
Indeed, 1934-1976, in fact. The last time college guys won was 1963, beating Vince Lombardi's Packers 20-17. Remember watching that one on the telly.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
NFL Players are bigger, stronger & just as fast college players or faster in actuality..The most important trait that only comes playing at an even higher level of play in the NFL, is they become "Wiser" in technique & with their of play in the NFL, if that maturation level is applied on a football field against, against a college football team..The young college "Whipper Snappers" wouldn't stand a chance in hell..
Yah, think about how many players that were stars at Bama have been mediocre in the NFL.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
The difference between college football kids and professional grown men playing football is a big difference in terms of skill set, mental maturity, and even strength due to their training in the NFL.

As good as we are, NFL teams are at a different level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Re: How realistic is it that a could College team could beat an NFL team?

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Vince Lombardi that a reporter asked him after winning Super Bowl 1 with the Packers:

Reporter: What does it feel like being the greatest football team in the world?

Lombardi: I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet.
You know what I've always loved about that quote? It was January, 1967...right after the 1966 season...he didn't say, "I don't know, we haven't played Notre Dame yet," or, " I don't know, we haven't played Michigan State yet." Coach Lombardi knew what was what...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yah, think about how many players that were stars at Bama have been mediocre in the NFL.
Yup..I was actually talking with a buddy of mine about this the other day..Coach Saban has built & designed "The Process" to specifically get the absolute best play humanly possible when they come to play for us at Alabama..If a Player does what's asked of him, bid their time for PT, we will see just how good they are as a Player while they at Alabama..

"The Process" produces results & Championship like no other entity has ever done in college football history..It's a definite great recruiting tool when Coach Saban has recruits talking about those results & what "The Process" can do for the NFL dreams if they come to Bama & live it..

What Coach Saban has done at Bama is remarkable, "The Process" brings stability & structure, to our Player's lives while wearing the Crimson Jersey..I imagine it's a really really big adjustment for our Player's when they leave Bama, to go from the structure of stability "The Process" has given while at Bama, to applying what they've learned at Bama to the rest of their life after "The Process"..

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
As for the original question, just the mismatch in time to study an opponent and prepare would swamp the college players who have to focus some on school.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This comes up so often, and while it is a compliment it is just not even realistic enough to even make a half way decent comparison.

ESPN played around with spurrier' statement that we could hang with the worst NFL teams either in 2011 or 2012, and they got a west gate guy to make a line for a neutral site matchup between the jags and Bama and he had the jags at like -18.5. That is a blowout pick. Then they had him do a game at bds against the jags and he had them at -17.5. Then they had him do the New England Patriots and he placed the pats at -44.5. I know lines are have no impact on the game, but I can't even remember mike Shula or dubose being a 18 point home dog.

So the answer is no no no, we have no chance against any pro team whether they be the Browns or the patriots. We probably lose by 2-3 tds at a minimum, and no that is not me being pessimistic that is me being realistic.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Nope. And if both played their best it wouldn't even be close.

Let me put it this way...what chance would you give Alabama in a game against just the SEC All-Stars? Say a team of 22 players was constructed only of the other 13 teams in the league - best players at every position. Chad Kelly throwing to better receivers than he already has with a better line than he has and better running backs than he has.

He only lost by five as it was.

Now remember that you have every single best of the best across college ALL divisions, including those little gems hidden at HBCUs and FCS schools. Richard Dent, the Super Bowl XX MVP and Hall of Famer went to Tennessee State; Jerry Rice went to Miss Valley State; Walter Payton to Jackson State. Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa.

Hell, the Super Bowl 49 MVP went to West Alabama. Not Alabama. WEST Alabama.

Now imagine a team full of those guys. Plus they'd have additional years of experience lifting weights, playing ball, and the rigorous NFL training camp and medical personnel.

We have guys in our secondary who have trouble covering no names out of the phone book now. Do you seriously think that our secondary could cover FOUR Odell Beckham's or Julio Jones's?

Nope.
Super bowl 49 mvp was tom Brady....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLIX

I get your point but it's just one of those few opportunities that I get on you Selma. What is like Selma 2333555 and me 2 ;)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
We struggle with good SEC teams, and we're arguably the best team in college football. We'd be completely destroyed by an NFL team...even the Browns.

If you took an Alabama all-star team over Saban's tenure, we could compete.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.