Oklahoma State was retroactively named 1945 National Champions.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Bama was undefeated and won the Rose Bowl....and STILL doesnt claim that title despite our reputation of claiming all the titles. Thats Armys and we should probably just leave it that way.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Late Grandmother used to say when speaking of very light matters brought to her attention "That's a gooood deal". Then dose back off.
RIP 1913 - 2013.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Oh boy, here we go. Retroactive? 70+ years later? Just no. That's really ridiculous, as you can't see but a handful of games on TV, so you have to go off of box scores and newspaper articles. How many people are even alive that saw a significant portion of the season? No thanks.
And this is somehow different from us claiming 1941 (and some others for that matter) in the mid-1980s?

Oh and I doubt anyone saw them on TV since it was sporadic but nobody saw any team ever before the first telecast in 1939.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And this is somehow different from us claiming 1941 (and some others for that matter) in the mid-1980s?
One key difference - the time span elapsed. In 1985, most who had experienced the 1941 season and would be likely to remember the details were still alive. How many people who were old enough to really experience the 1945 season at the time are still with us? How many of those still have solid memories? Sadly, the greatest generation is all but gone. Their children are busy rewriting history.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Oh and I doubt anyone saw them on TV since it was sporadic but nobody saw any team ever before the first telecast in 1939.
It was a brilliant move by Wayne Atchison, groundbreaking, and one that has my full support

I think 1941 is a joke, but we should claim 1945 an undefeated team that beat USC in the Rose Bowl 34 - 14, but we decided to let army have the sole claim on 45. In case you don't remember, Army had a very good year 1945 :) on TideFans.com:pDT_Armataz_01_40: PDT_Armataz_53: :pDT_Armataz_02_47:

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Wasn't the 1945 Army team the one with Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis (Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside)? One of the most famous Army teams of all time and oh by the way, they had just saved the world.

I love the story of our 1945 team that clobbered USC in the Rose Bowl (the last non Big Ten/Pac Ten team to play in the Rose Bowl until the BCS era). But Army deserves that title.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Wasn't the 1945 Army team the one with Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis (Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside)? One of the most famous Army teams of all time and oh by the way, they had just saved the world.

I love the story of our 1945 team that clobbered USC in the Rose Bowl (the last non Big Ten/Pac Ten team to play in the Rose Bowl until the BCS era). But Army deserves that title.
Yes on Blanchard and Davis

Army was really good and coming off huge wins over Germany and Japan, but not sure they would have taken Bama

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Army was really good and coming off huge wins over Germany and Japan, but not sure they would have taken Bama
Sorry, but the Marines on the ground, and the Navy at sea were the first team starters against Japan.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Yeah and the Marines had it 3x harder than the Army ever did against Germany.

Not to take this thread any further off the rails, but what do you mean? From what I recall, the Marine Corps was very sparingly used in the European theater. I thought that a vast majority of U.S. casualties in Europe were from the Army and Army Air Corps.

(Agreed on Pacific though.)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Not to take this thread any further off the rails, but what do you mean? From what I recall, the Marine Corps was very sparingly used in the European theater. I thought that a vast majority of U.S. casualties in Europe were from the Army and Army Air Corps.

(Agreed on Pacific though.)
That's exactly what I'm referring to. Nowhere in my post does it say the marines had it hard against Germany. I was just implying Japan.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In related news, Welsh coal miners have declared "thirteen reasons why Henry III was a bad king."

I think it is really tough to post-facto declare a national championship without watching a bunch of old game film. We have all seen a game in which the box score is deceptive. If you have to rely on box scores and such, it is tough to render a value judgment.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.