The Plan: How to beat Bama

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yeah, Tennessee just got trucked by the best today. To be honest, their offense played with so little effort I wasn't sure if they even cared. It seems like our win last week took the steam out of them. The energy that I've seen from Tennesee, that "never say die" energy was just never there.

Some of that is Alabama and how suffocating they are. But we can win this game. And here's why.

- Alabama plays run you over, high percentage, methodical football. They will run you over. When Hurts and Harris run the ball, they could practically jog around out there. We should expect to get run over a few times next week. But I like us here because our safeties take a back seat to no one. If Bama makes it to the second level (and they will) Watts, Wilson and Evans will make them earn every yard after that.

- Jalen Hurts does not scare me as a passer. He's young, he's a true freshman, and 'Bama doesn't ask him to do a lot. Most of his throws will be high percentage, keep the ball moving, get set-up for play-action kind of stuff. But they don't have to ask him to do anything because their defense is so damn good. We will need Myles Garrett though, and our linebackers have to be ready to take him to the ground.

- The absolute biggest key is on our offense. Bama has scored a touchdown on defense in, I believe, 11 straight games. We cannot give them a free touchdown from our offense. If we do this then the cards are stacked against us.

We want to be the best, and we have set ourselves up for our chance. There is no reason to be scared now. Trevor Knight is not afraid of Bama, as we know. Our guys can win this game. Our guys will win this game.

BTHO Alabama.
I can already see one flaw in this plan. We will get to the second level and their safeties will then make us earn every yard. Hmmmmmm. That does not sound like a very good plan to me.

And to top it off he tells us he is not scared of Jalen -- and then says Bama wins without Jalen being scary. Wow.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, Tennessee just got trucked by the best today. To be honest, their offense played with so little effort I wasn't sure if they even cared.
I think not being able to move forward over and over and over and over again had a lot to do with it myself.

It seems like our win last week took the steam out of them.
You beat South Carolina, 24-13.

A team that MISSISSIPPI STATE got 27 points against. And my theory is that Kentucky beating SCAR probably made them an easier mark for ATM.

The energy that I've seen from Tennesee, that "never say die" energy was just never there.
Hard to have a lot of energy when you're backpedaling for four hours.

Some of that is Alabama and how suffocating they are. But we can win this game. And here's why.
Oh you CAN, but will you?

- Alabama plays run you over, high percentage, methodical football. They will run you over. When Hurts and Harris run the ball, they could practically jog around out there. We should expect to get run over a few times next week. But I like us here because our safeties take a back seat to no one. If Bama makes it to the second level (and they will) Watts, Wilson and Evans will make them earn every yard after that.
You missed THIRTY-ONE TACKLES and gave up 686 yards to a team that had SEVEN TURNOVERS. Wanna talk again about how good you can tackle?

- Jalen Hurts does not scare me as a passer. He's young, he's a true freshman, and 'Bama doesn't ask him to do a lot. Most of his throws will be high percentage, keep the ball moving, get set-up for play-action kind of stuff. But they don't have to ask him to do anything because their defense is so damn good. We will need Myles Garrett though, and our linebackers have to be ready to take him to the ground.
He better scare you as a runner. He ain't Joe Montana, but he ain't Trent Dilfer, either.

- The absolute biggest key is on our offense. Bama has scored a touchdown on defense in, I believe, 11 straight games. We cannot give them a free touchdown from our offense. If we do this then the cards are stacked against us.
Rest assured, you will give up at least one. You had three turnovers against the Vols defense that isn't even in the same universe - and your all-star QB had two via pick.

We want to be the best, and we have set ourselves up for our chance. There is no reason to be scared now. Trevor Knight is not afraid of Bama, as we know. Our guys can win this game. Our guys will win this game.
So if Trevor Knight is so awesome based on the game in January 2014, should we grade the ATM defense based on their performance in the game of October 2014?

Over and over we've heard this same tale - Gary Danielson says it every game 'you have to have a hot quarterback.' But let me reiterate something - the ONLY way that has proven successful at beating Alabama is to: a) have a stellar running game (Zeke Elliott); b) get turnovers. The only team to beat Alabama in the last eight years and LOSE the turnover battle was Auburn in 2013 (and it was an almost meaningless 1-0).

You have a decent running game so you have something of a chance.

But our defense is quite a bit better than the best one you've faced so far. In fact, you barely beat Tennessee and you struggled against Arky (it was 24-17 entering the fourth for those who don't know). We didn't play that well against Arky and they were still never a threat to win.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only thing that concerns me about aTm is Knight's legs. If you get into his grill he cant hit the broad side of a barn.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Every time we beat a good team, it's always that the other team quit, gave up or just wasn't as good as they thought.

I think our team has a LOT to do with all that and it bothers fans of other teams so much they'll never admit it.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
You missed THIRTY-ONE TACKLES and gave up 686 yards to a team that had SEVEN TURNOVERS. Wanna talk again about how good you can tackle? by Selmaborn

Yes, but those thirty-one missed tackles were tackled by the safeties ...... and Tennessee had to earn every yard of it. :party:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My only concern is where are we mentally and physically after 7 straight weeks and A&M is coming off a bye. This week has been tough for us in the past because of that. Sometimes it's been Tennessee like last season. But we looked fresh and healthy after the game yesterday.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Yeah I know you can't take the transitive property too far, but these examples mean aTm lacks basic football skills at the lines of scrimmage (sure Garrett is great), QB, etc. Against UT's LOS they looked pedestrian.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
This is a very simplistic reply; but this guy's strategy/analysis is very simplistic.

We just beat the ever livin' daylights off of a team (at their place) that took your team to 2 OTs (at your place) after committing SEVEN turnovers and being decimated by injury.

You better go get Johnny Football out of the club because he's your only chance!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My only concern is where are we mentally and physically after 7 straight weeks and A&M is coming off a bye. This week has been tough for us in the past because of that. Sometimes it's been Tennessee like last season. But we looked fresh and healthy after the game yesterday.
That's going to be the BIGGEST issue. And ANY win by ANY score needs to be enough for folks here to accept next week.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am a bit confused here. Is Redwood Forrest a Texas A&M fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It soundsRe: The Plan: How to beat Bama

I am a bit confused here. Is Redwood Forrest a Texas A&M fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds to me a bit like a guy writing two different letters to two different girlfriends, and then putting them in the wrong envelopes. That is, for someone who actually still writes letters to be mailed.

Clearly though, Redwood is writing that from the point of view of the typical TamU fan.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
While I would like Alabama to crush Texas A&M, and with as much talent as they have, that is always possible, I told my wife before the game that I was as worried about injuries against Tennessee as I was about beating them. Alabama just matched up well against Tennessee and Tennessee was banged up. Texas A&M was resting and I feel like they match up better.

To give a couple of examples, they can pressure the QB really well and their QB is the type of QB that Alabama has had problems with (specifically they had problems with him once already). Now, Alabama could finish morphing into the team we know they can become. If they protect the QB and defend better against the deep pass, it is hard to imagine anyone beating them and Texas A&M has no chance.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah I know you can't take the transitive property too far, but these examples mean aTm lacks basic football skills at the lines of scrimmage (sure Garrett is great), QB, etc. Against UT's LOS they looked pedestrian.
Agree about the transitive property but when UGA (UT needed a hailmary to beat them) lost to Vandy at home I knew we would blow out UT. Similar theory with aTm struggling with Arkansas, a bad UCLA team, Tennessee and South Carolina..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.