Jalen Hurts - Legit Heisman candidate?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
He literally won the USCe game for Bama. Well him and the OL but everyone in the stadium knew what the play was, who was getting it, and where he was going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know how anyone could forget this game. To me it was his 'Heisman Moment'. 7 mins left in the game with the score 13-6 at our 30 yrd line. We went wildcat with Ingram in the shotgun and in about 4 plays he ran 65 yards down the field. Then Gmac came in to run a toss sweep to Ingram to provide the dagger. 70 yrds and EVERYONE knew who was getting the ball every play.

I agree that Rolando was the best defensive player and MVP of the defense. But Ingram was that on the offensive side. I honestly don't know how anyone could argue anyone else on the team being better or more valuable to the team than those two THAT year. Not to get too far off-topic.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He literally won the USCe game for Bama. Well him and the OL but everyone in the stadium knew what the play was, who was getting it, and where he was going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Answers: Run left/right, direct snap to Ingram, in the general direction of the endzone.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I guess he's actually doing something right.
Anything close to the stats he compiled against MSU in closing out an undefeated regular season vs. Barney, and he's got a ticket to ride with Saban at his side for NYC. A couple of the other "contenders" could also easily fall out of the running (Jabril who?) between now and then, too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This thread should be deleted on the grounds that it's a rediculous idea to begin with. I'm pumped about Hurts potential but he is just a freshman QB and he plays like it sometimes. The Heisman is not a player who has "freshman moments"
Tell that to the voters of ESPN poll that have him third.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This thread should be deleted on the grounds that it's a rediculous idea to begin with. I'm pumped about Hurts potential but he is just a freshman QB and he plays like it sometimes. The Heisman is not a player who has "freshman moments"
Why would you not support an Alabama player for an award like this? The kid has flaws, but he is a leader and a winner.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
A lot of really weird posts in this thread. "Not even the 10th best player on the team and delete this thread!" Just bizarre..

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
#1 - This is not a ludicrous or ridiculous thread.
#2 - If you think we'd have beaten Ole Sis with Bateman or Barnett (no offense to anyone on here with a sensitive nature) and LSU to boot, then you're absolutely crazy.
#3 - I don't have a problem with a freshman winning the Heisman.
#4 - Players in the NFL making millions make stupid mistakes
#5 - Hurts is one of the calmest, coolest under pressure QBs/Team Leaders I have seen in a long time to be a freshman.
#6 - Should he get an invite? In my opinion, YES. Will he win it? Who knows. Anymore the Heisman has become somewhat of a mix between a beauty contest and a popularity contest.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Regardless of whether he gets an invite to NY for the Heisman, he is going to garner a ton of awards after the season for being the best Freshman QB in the country and hopefully leading his team to an undefeated season, the SEC title, the college football playoffs, and the national championship.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I understand the point, but given the QB bias and defensive player bias, he does deserve to be in the discussion. It isn't just that he's the only QB in a major conference with an undefeated season, it goes beyond that.

Hurts leads the SEC in rushing TDs. Now, stop and think about that a second. Didn't the SEC have Heisman candidates at the position coming into the season? And it's Hurts who has the most TDs? Then look over at passer ratings. Hurts is third in the SEC. He's behind Chad Kelly, who is out for the season and at one point whose name came up for the Heisman. The only other guy he's behind is Sean White, who has less yards, less touchdowns, less attempts (but more sacks). Hurts statistically speaking is one of the better passers in the SEC as well.

Then there's the leadership aspect, and there's no question Hurts is elite in that regard. He's also come up big in a couple of games when Alabama needed him. Now, do I think he's going to win the Heisman? No, I don't. But, if he can pad his stats and have a couple of good games, is there any question in my mind that he deserves to go to New York? No, there is not. And I add this. If Louisville loses again, and if Hurts finishes strong there's going to be a case to be made for his winning the trophy.
I have been one of Jalen's biggest supporters since we signed him, and he has done an absolutely fantastic job for this football team. I've never said otherwise.
But the Heisman is supposed to go to the best football player in all of college football, and while he is a very good player at this point, I don't feel like he's Heisman worthy yet.
However, as I said in my previous post, you give him a couple of years or maybe even just one more year of growth and maturity and he could easily walk away with the trophy.
And it's not a slight to Jalen for me to say there are better football players than him on Bama's team. In my opinion Jonathan Allen is the best football player in America. Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson are both incredible players. Adarius Stewart and Calvin Ridley are remarkable wide receivers, O.J. Howard will be the first TE taken in the NFL draft, Eddie Jackson, Minkhah Fitzpatrick, Reuben Foster, Humphrey.
Again, as most here know, I have been a huge fan of Jalen's for a long time, and I may have cheered louder than anyone when he was named our starting Quarterback. I'm just not ready to call him the best player in America just because he plays for my favorite team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Amazing at some of the posts.... Hurts earned it. he may have freshman moments, but he also delivered big time as well. The fact he's third in the polls speaks volume about him as a player and the fact he is starting as a TF for Alabama football is amazing and we need to savor every moments good and bad with Hurts and watching him grow. The fact he's on the list of Heisman is a huge accomplishment and that's something every player dream of, being on the list for the trophy. So let's not complain about him, and enjoy the moment.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I have been one of Jalen's biggest supporters since we signed him, and he has done an absolutely fantastic job for this football team. I've never said otherwise.
But the Heisman is supposed to go to the best football player in all of college football, and while he is a very good player at this point, I don't feel like he's Heisman worthy yet.
However, as I said in my previous post, you give him a couple of years or maybe even just one more year of growth and maturity and he could easily walk away with the trophy.
And it's not a slight to Jalen for me to say there are better football players than him on Bama's team. In my opinion Jonathan Allen is the best football player in America. Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson are both incredible players. Adarius Stewart and Calvin Ridley are remarkable wide receivers, O.J. Howard will be the first TE taken in the NFL draft, Eddie Jackson, Minkhah Fitzpatrick, Reuben Foster, Humphrey.
Again, as most here know, I have been a huge fan of Jalen's for a long time, and I may have cheered louder than anyone when he was named our starting Quarterback. I'm just not ready to call him the best player in America just because he plays for my favorite team.
Sip, I really feel like he can be the best player in the America with his development and growth. If he can truly ball out in next three games and I suspect he will, I have a feeling lot of people on here will change their true feelings about him being better.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm just not ready to call him the best player in America just because he plays for my favorite team.
While refreshing, keep in mind that this award almost never actually goes to the best player in the nation. You can be a homer in this award. Everyone else is.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Rewatched the State game last night. Man, Jalen has "it". So impressive. Heisman? I'd be really shocked if Jackson didn't run away with the votes at this point. Does Jalen deserve an invite? You bet. My only question is whether he would be excited about it or not. He's so focused I would bet that he would have his mind in Tuscaloosa while in New York. Would he and CNS have tablets with video of the next opponent sitting in the audience? :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.