GA News: OnlineAthens - JUCO transfer Javon Wims growing as WR in first UGA season

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
October 19th, 2016 12:35 PM

It may have come slower than Georgia preferred, but dependable targets in the passing game for Jacob Eason are starting to emerge from newcomers as the season progresses.
Tight end Isaac Nauta and wide receiver Riley Ridley--both freshmen--came on against Tennessee on Oct. 1.
Against Vanderbilt Saturday, junior college transfer wide receiver Javon Wims joined in with his best game as a Bulldog.
“Look, we need playmakers we need those guys to make plays,” coach Kirby Smart said Wednesday. “We’ve got to continue to get that out of them. I think Jacob is really comfortable with them and he kind of knows where they are all the time. We need some of the other guys to step up as well.”
The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Wims is a Miami native who came to Georgia from Hinds Community College in Mississippi as a top five junior college wide receiver prospect.
“Everything is a learning adjustment,” Wims said. “We all don’t have the answers right away but my coaches do an amazing job preparing me every week in practice so I can be ready whenever I do step in and I can contribute and help the team.”
Wims had his first catch for 10 yards in the blowout loss at Ole Miss and added another reception a week later against Tennessee, but had his breakout game against the Commodores in the 17-16 loss.
He had three catches for 32 yards, making a 12-yard grab over the middle on a drive that ended with a field goal in the first quarter and adding two more catches on third downs, both good for first downs.
“He’s a very physical wide receiver,” safety Quincy Mauger said.
Smart would like him to use his big body even more like he did when he sprung Isaiah McKenzie with a block on a 65-yard touchdown pass play against Nicholls.
“I think Jovon can be more impactful in the run game by blocking a little better, but he’s catching the ball with confidence,” Smart said. “He went up and got one (against Vanderbilt) that was a high throw, went up and got it. He’s playing with a little more confidence, too.”
Wims had a pass intended for him deflect into the air against South Carolina that was intercepted.
“He took ownership in that,” Smart said. “He stood up and took responsibility for it. He’s doing everything he can to get better.”
Georgia could use consistency from its receivers in Eason’s freshman season. Junior Isaiah McKenzie leads with 30 catches and sophomore Terry Godwin is second with 16.
“A bunch of groups have flashed, receivers are flashing, different guys are flashing,” tight end Jeb Blazevich said. “But we haven’t played our best game yet. That’s up to us. We need to continue to work so all of these guys are going high gear at the same time instead of a flash here.”
Wims is in his first Georgia season, but at age 22 is more seasoned than the freshmen.
“He’s a little more mature, he’s a little older,” Smart said. “He’s been able to pick it up. I think the biggest thing with Javon Wims is he’s been able to get more confidence in just catching the ball and he and Jacob have gotten a better rapport. And that will only grow as they continue to go through the season.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.