**** Collin Sexton SIGNS with Alabama ****

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Re: Collin Sexton

YES!!!! One of the best PG's in the country.....maybe the best we've ever signed on paper.....being coached by one of the best PG's ever. I have a feeling this is gonna work out just fine :cool2:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Between him and what we have already, WOW! Get to the dance this year and let's get to the FF next year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Hope you're right indeed.
Sexton may be the best basketball player we have EVER EVER signed.
He is Stephen Curry and Pete Maravich combined.
Get ready for your jaw to drop. Just watch.
Two half court baskets in a row shooting backwards???? Maravich did that in warm ups in 1970. Never seen anybody else do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFOmRqTuXnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsDvPaXptwc
Agree, what a talent! VERY excited for Bama.

I wouldn't have been too surprised to see Pete try that shot in a game. I saw him fire it up from one step inside half court several times (in those outer corners, actually).

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Two half court baskets in a row shooting backwards???? Maravich did that in warm ups in 1970. Never seen anybody else do that.

I was there in Coleman to see him drop those in just as 'Sip says. Still see those shots clear as day in my mind's eye. Unforgettable.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I was there in Coleman to see him drop those in just as 'Sip says. Still see those shots clear as day in my mind's eye. Unforgettable.
He scored 17 points in the first half, and 52 in the second. 69 points! We won in overtime 103-101. Believe it or not, our only SEC win. We went 1-17 in the conference, but the most incredible individual performance I've ever seen. Remember the brawl at the end of the game?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

He scored 17 points in the first half, and 52 in the second. 69 points! We won in overtime 103-101. Believe it or not, our only SEC win. We went 1-17 in the conference, but the most incredible individual performance I've ever seen. Remember the brawl at the end of the game?
Yep, I was there When Pete put up 69; with NO 3 point shot. Could have been 80 with 3's. Remember the fight well. A Bama male cheerleader gave Pete a "good game" pat on the butt on his way out and Pete went after him. The front rows were full of guys with shaved heads, football players. They came on to the court and whipped some LSU BBall players azz.

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Our big guys were basically tossing him into the equipment out of bounds when he drove. Bad blood. Do I remember correctly that Press Maravich (Pete's dad, LSU coach) shot everybody the bird on the way out? But, although the talk always centers on Pete's scoring, he was an even better ball handler.
Not meaning to hijack this VERY exciting thread welcoming Collin Sexton! I bet we'll be reminiscing like this about him one day.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Whoa, Sip. You of all people know what kind of talent came through this place under C.M. and Wimp.

That said, congrats to Avery and young Mr. Sexton. The future indeeds holds great promise. But let's keep in mind that highlight films from high school all-star teams are to college basketball what two-hand touch is to football. Amazing talent, true. Let's see how he physically and mentally makes the next big leap.

Roll Tide, Collin.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

This reminds me of the year we signed Ennis Whatley and Bobby Lee Hurt in the early 80's.:)
Good comparison. Enimo, who I still believe was the most physically gifted player Alabama ever signed, would not go to class and basically became uncoachable by his sophomore year. Bobby Lee, who Bubba Scott said would win at least one national championship at Alabama, had bad hands and was at the center of far more paternity suits than titles. In basketball perhaps as in no other sport, it's really difficult to discern how the most high-profile kids will turn out.

By the way, nobody but Davidson offered Stephen Curry a scholarship, and Collin Sexton looks amazing.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Whoa, Sip. You of all people know what kind of talent came through this place under C.M. and Wimp.

That said, congrats to Avery and young Mr. Sexton. The future indeeds holds great promise. But let's keep in mind that highlight films from high school all-star teams are to college basketball what two-hand touch is to football. Amazing talent, true. Let's see how he physically and mentally makes the next big leap.

Roll Tide, Collin.
When I was a student 76-78 we had incredible talent. Leon Douglas, Reggie King, Rickey Brown,
T.R. Dunn, and AMP Murray were our starters.All 5 were Parade High School All Americans. Two were College All-Americans, all five All were All-SEC at some level and all were drafted, two first rounders(Douglas-King) and two second rounders(T.R-Rickey Brown)
AMP was drafted but didn't make the 76'ers. The other's played a great deal in the pro's and T.R. played for like 10 or 12 years or something like that.
Still, when I look at the ball handling, the shooting, the quickness, and the speed of Sexton it boggles my mind more than any incoming prospect I've known us to have.
As I said, to me, he's a combination of Maravich and Stephen Curry. I hope we keep him two years but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a one and done.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I'm hoping he does stay at least two years, he really can learn a lot under CAJ tutelage that will prepare him for the NBA. He is a heck of a talent, been enjoying watching his and Petty's videos

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Always appreciate your passion for hoops. Interesting that CAG says we were on him before he blew up the rating charts over the summer. But to compare him to two of the top 50 players of all time raises unfair expectations. I hope he has a great career. But he won't be playing against the level of defense that is being displayed on that film.

When I was a student 76-78 we had incredible talent. Leon Douglas, Reggie King, Rickey Brown,
T.R. Dunn, and AMP Murray were our starters.All 5 were Parade All Americans. Two were All-Americans, all five were drafted, two first rounders(Douglas-King) and two second rounders(T.R-Rickey Brown)
AMP was drafted but didn't make the 76'ers. The other's played a great deal and T.R. played for like 10 or 12 years or something.
Still, when I look at the ball handling, the shooting, the quickness, and the speed of Sexton it boggles my mind more than any incoming prospect I've known us to have.
As I said, to me, he's a combination of Maravich and Stephen Curry. I hope we keep him two years but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a one and done.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Always appreciate your passion for hoops. Interesting that CAG says we were on him before he blew up the rating charts over the summer. But to compare him to two of the top 50 players of all time raises unfair expectations. I hope he has a great career. But he won't be playing against the level of defense that is being displayed on that film.
I agree that he hasn't played against the level of competition he will face at Bama, and who knows what will actually happen, but from a strictly "Prospect" perspective and "potential" perspective, he, to me, looks as good as anybody ever has. Although, coming in, Charles Cleveland was the best athlete I had ever seen, but C.M. forced him to play far too conservatively.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Pettway was recruiting him when Grant was still here. That relationship went a long way in getting him here.

While he isn't facing the competition he'll face in college, the travel tournaments have helped make the difference less than what it would have been 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.