Texas still thinks they can get CNS

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
They'd be fools not to call him. I doubt he goes. But any program with the cash should always shoot for Saban and then Urban, but Texas better have an option C.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Simple misunderstanding. Lou Saban, they are going to resurrect Lou Saban.

Not that big a stretch from coaching the Buffalo Bills while alive to coaching the Tea Sipping Longhorns while deceased...

I live in Texas and trust me - these folks probably believe they could resurrect Coach Bryant and he'd come right to Texas.

I'm only exaggerating () much.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I had this conversation in 2011 and AGAIN in 2013. Save it for your Shorthorn friends.

Texas Nutbag: We're going after Saban, and he's coming because we can pay him more than y'all can.

Me: Well, that's true in the abstract. But answer me this question: what amount of money that you WILL ACTUALLY PAY HIM can Alabama not match? You see, if you're going to say you have more money than Alabama that's one thing. But you and I both know you're not going to pay Saban $100 million per year.

So I ask again - what amount of money that you will actually pay him can we not match? $8 million per year? 9? 10? 12?

TNB: But Saban is a mercenary, he builds these programs but he doesn't stay.

Me: Then why would it make any difference that you can pay him more than we can (but only if you're in a ridiculous range that will never happen)?

=======================

The funny thing is how many people who live right here just in the Dallas metro area actually think they know what Saban would do. They've never even met the guy, and they're convinced they know what he would do in what given circumstance.

I had no idea what Saban would do in 2011 or 2013, but I feel safe in betting the mortgage that he would tell them publicly to go to hell right now, especially with our team being unbeaten and number one.
I'd like for Texas fans to define a mercenary. I guess staying at school 10 years makes you a mercenary. Mark Richt? Mercenary. Les Miles before he was fired? Mercenary. The list can go on...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The arrogance that permeates that program is the precise reason why they have underwhelmed on the football field for so many decades, and why they will continue to do so.

Way, way too many millionaires meddling and thinking they deserve a seat at the table during the coaching staff meetings, for example. (I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but not nearly enough to type it in blue font).

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
They'd be fools not to call him. I doubt he goes. But any program with the cash should always shoot for Saban and then Urban, but Texas better have an option C.
They are posturing I'm sure ... its pretty much Tom Hermon or bust for them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know why would would be surprised to hear this. If you think you are the best you would go after THE BEST.

I'd be very surprised if CNS made the jump now, but I must admit I would not be shocked.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Before they hired Charlie Strong, I thought there was a small chance he might go. Now, he's:

1. Older and has to start from scratch (in a conference that's a complete mess right now)
2. Has made ties here. After coaching football, I think his next love is making relationships. You can still see it is hard for him when discussing LSU. Not because of the football program, but because of the relationships he made there. I think he now has enough relationships built here that it ties him to us as well.
3. He has complete control here. We have giving him keys to the kingdom to run as he pleases. Why? He has rightfully gained the Universities trust and they know coach is a successful CEO and guides the football program in the right direction in all aspects.
4. He's at a storied program with some of the best facilities in the nation. If he doesn't have it, then he can get it without much or any hassle.
5. The press for the most part is finally off his back about the moving and switching. He gets much respect and accolades from others outside of our fan base (even though it is a love/hate relationship :)

IOW I don't think there a snowballs chance .....

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I don't know why would would be surprised to hear this. If you think you are the best you would go after THE BEST.

I'd be very surprised if CNS made the jump now, but I must admit I would not be shocked.
With crystal clear clarity like this, you should join us in non sports sometime. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's not the UT program that is the problem (arrogance). That problem has its roots in the mindset of all Texans. Anyone who lives in Texas and has family rooted in the state sincerely believes that Texas and Texans are better than anyplace/anyone else.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Before they hired Charlie Strong, I thought there was a small chance he might go. Now, he's:

1. Older and has to start from scratch (in a conference that's a complete mess right now)
2. Has made ties here. After coaching football, I think his next love is making relationships. You can still see it is hard for him when discussing LSU. Not because of the football program, but because of the relationships he made there. I think he now has enough relationships built here that it ties him to us as well.
3. He has complete control here. We have giving him keys to the kingdom to run as he pleases. Why? He has rightfully gained the Universities trust and they know coach is a successful CEO and guides the football program in the right direction in all aspects.
4. He's at a storied program with some of the best facilities in the nation. If he doesn't have it, then he can get it without much or any hassle.
5. The press for the most part is finally off his back about the moving and switching. He gets much respect and accolades from others outside of our fan base (even though it is a love/hate relationship :)

IOW I don't think there a snowballs chance .....
Just to play devil's advocate, only #2 is iron clad.

IMO, he'd win the Big 12 in the first season.

FWIW, I don't think he'll do it (alot to do with your #2) but he'd be an instant success and very quickly he'd have UT playing in the CFP...like maybe in year 2. This is JMO but he's that good and it explains why they'll probably make another run at him.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I don't think Texas actually thinks they can get Saban but they would be foolish not to at least ask if there is any interest. No since in selling yourself short when going after a coach. If you aim high, you might just hit it and get what you are looking for. If you aim low, you will hit it every time and you won't be satisfied with the result.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's not the UT program that is the problem (arrogance). That problem has its roots in the mindset of all Texans. Anyone who lives in Texas and has family rooted in the state sincerely believes that Texas and Texans are better than anyplace/anyone else.
I hear this all the time, but that is painting with a broad brush.

There is definitely state pride and for some very good reasons, but not everyone here fits your description.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Just to play devil's advocate, only #2 is iron clad.

IMO, he'd win the Big 12 in the first season.

FWIW, I don't think he'll do it (alot to do with your #2) but he'd be an instant success and very quickly he'd have UT playing in the CFP...like maybe in year 2. This is JMO but he's that good and it explains why they'll probably make another run at him.
Didn't say he couldn't /wouldn't win there. Just saying it would be a headache to get the ball rolling again. Sure, I agree he would win the conference right away (maybe even in the first year), but I think it would be year three before the nc start again. Why? He still has to put together a team that can compete with the SEC and other select teams that are already est in the playoffs. While he has a machine going full steam ahead already in place. All this with a bunch of Texas millionaire/ billionaires wanting to put their two cents in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.