A few thoughts from the other side on Bama @ LSU

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I'll leave the professional analysis to guys like JessN, but I wanted to weigh in.

Alabama wins if... they play like Bama. Get out in front early and let the defense do their job. Alabama played catch up only against Ole Miss and let's face it, that defense isn't very good. Limit mistakes and don't let LSU get momentum early.

LSU can win if... they play in control. Emotion is needed, but it has to be limited. Don't get too high or too low. They also need to seize any opportunities that may be given to them. They have to keep the game within 7 points in the 4th. They have to make Hurts throw and limit his ground yardage. LSU's DBs are the strength of the defense and they will need to be on their game.

Favoring Alabama... they are just a better and experienced TEAM. Been there, been successful. The win streak adds pressure to LSU. Saban wants this game. I believe he values a win over LSU more than any other team.

Favoring LSU... Night game at TS. Yeah, Alabama won the last two in TS at night, but it's fair to say Alabama escaped with a win both times.

Misc - LSU is probably the only team that can come close to matching Alabama in talent 1-85. This game will feature a ton of future NFL players.

LSUgrad side of me says... The run game for Alabama will struggle. LSU and the crowd will force Hurts into some mistakes. LSU 20, Bama 17

BamaDad side says... Etling will have trouble finding any rythym. Although fournette isn't as limited as last year, he and Guice can't carry them against the Bama D. Bama 27, LSU 14 with Bama scoring a late TD after LSU fails to convert a 4th down late in their own territory.

Weird prediction... if LSU wins, Hurts will have less than 50% rushing v passing yards. For example, if he throws for 150, he won't rush for more than 75.

I'm hoping for a great game. Good luck and enjoy!

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I believe he values a win over LSU more than any other team.
I agree with this and have thought it can sometimes cause the team to play tight. Should be a very good game. Good luck the rest of the season if we win. If not, I'm not sure it will help Alabama to get into the playoffs even if the LSU Tigers win out. That could come down to many things including how Alabama plays the rest of the season.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'll leave the professional analysis to guys like JessN, but I wanted to weigh in.

Alabama wins if... they play like Bama. Get out in front early and let the defense do their job. Alabama played catch up only against Ole Miss and let's face it, that defense isn't very good. Limit mistakes and don't let LSU get momentum early.

LSU can win if... they play in control. Emotion is needed, but it has to be limited. Don't get too high or too low. They also need to seize any opportunities that may be given to them. They have to keep the game within 7 points in the 4th. They have to make Hurts throw and limit his ground yardage. LSU's DBs are the strength of the defense and they will need to be on their game.

Favoring Alabama... they are just a better and experienced TEAM. Been there, been successful. The win streak adds pressure to LSU. Saban wants this game. I believe he values a win over LSU more than any other team.

Favoring LSU... Night game at TS. Yeah, Alabama won the last two in TS at night, but it's fair to say Alabama escaped with a win both times.

Misc - LSU is probably the only team that can come close to matching Alabama in talent 1-85. This game will feature a ton of future NFL players.

LSUgrad side of me says... The run game for Alabama will struggle. LSU and the crowd will force Hurts into some mistakes. LSU 20, Bama 17

BamaDad side says... Etling will have trouble finding any rythym. Although fournette isn't as limited as last year, he and Guice can't carry them against the Bama D. Bama 27, LSU 14 with Bama scoring a late TD after LSU fails to convert a 4th down late in their own territory.

Weird prediction... if LSU wins, Hurts will have less than 50% rushing v passing yards. For example, if he throws for 150, he won't rush for more than 75.

I agree with many points but Bama has won 3 of 4 in Baton Rouge and is 26-9-2 all time. Bama is a great road program but it's record in Baton Rouge with LSU, IMO, historically a top 10 program and number 2 in the SEC, is beyond remarkable.

In recent history, Bama and LSU have been close to equal in talent, with maybe even a slight edge to LSU, but not this year. IMO, this is probably the most talented team in Bama history, certainly the most talented in Saban's tenure. Probably 7 or more first round picks on D, with all 13 regulars drafted. The D has upgraded at DC. Another 3 or 4 first rounders on O, with close to all 11 drafted. The O is more diverse than ever. LSU has the talent to beat Bama, but the disparity in Bama's favor, has not been this great in the Saban era. Also, I've never seen the team's will and closeness as great as it is now. I can understand LSU's enthusiasm and no one is invincible, but it's hard to believe Bama won't be incredibly tough to beat, not just for LSU, but anyone.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Hurts didn't get rattled in Fayetteville, or Oxford, or College Station. All were ranked at or around where LSU is now. Not sure why Baton Rouge would be any different.

The mystique of Saturday night in Death Valley...well, it's mostly a mythical tale of yore, now....

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No matter how we look at it if Alabama and LSU play the way they have played for the entire season (or just the past three games) LSU loses. It would take one team playing better or one team playing worse. Roll Tide.

The last three games that LSU is so proud of: LSU average opponent wins 3. Alabama last three games: 5.6

Last edited:

#1sabanite

3rd Team
Sep 14, 2008
No matter how we look at it if Alabama and LSU play the way they have played for the entire season (or just the past three games) LSU loses. It would take one team playing better or one team playing worse. Roll Tide.

The last three games that LSU is so proud of: LSU average opponent wins 3. Alabama last three games: 5.6
I completely agree, Im not knocking the fact that LSU has played much better over the last 3 games but the fact is that Mizzou, Southern MIss and Ole Sis are not great teams.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Hurts didn't get rattled in Fayetteville, or Oxford, or College Station. All were ranked at or around where LSU is now. Not sure why Baton Rouge would be any different.

The mystique of Saturday night in Death Valley...well, it's mostly a mythical tale of yore, now....
Played TAMU in BDS, point taken though. He will need to play an error free game.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Was Hurts in College Station for a recruiting visit? Haha. Assume you meant Knoxville. And you can't possibly think Oxford compares to BR? In oxford, the average fan is worried about which dry cleaner can get the Merlot spill out of the tailgating table cloth.

Anyway, this will be a great test for young Jalen. It will be interesting to see how he performs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

That might have been because he wasn't in College Station.

I get your point, though, and it's correct.

In fact, all of them correct here.

I'm thinking something similar to last year - a tie game at the half, Alabama asserts itself in the second half and then holds on to win.

Knoxville is the same, though. Neyland is just as crazy.
Was Hurts in College Station for a recruiting visit? Haha. Assume you meant Knoxville. And you can't possibly think Oxford compares to BR? In oxford, the average fan is worried about which dry cleaner can get the Merlot spill out of the tailgating table cloth.

Anyway, this will be a great test for young Jalen. It will be interesting to see how he performs.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Hurts didn't get rattled in Fayetteville, or Oxford, or garbage truck workers' convention. All were ranked at or around where LSU is now. Not sure why Baton Rouge would be any different.

FIFY

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I just don't see lswho beating bama. Yes, lswho and their fans will be lathered up in a frenzy, but that will only take you so long. The group on tiger droppings are nuts. There is a thread comparing our D Line to what Etling played aginst while at Purdue... UH, OK.

Either way, hope for an injury free game with Bama on top at the end.

RTR!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I completely agree, Im not knocking the fact that LSU has played much better over the last 3 games but the fact is that Mizzou, Southern MIss and Ole Sis are not great teams.
A large part of their argument has to do with the fact that they performed much better against ARK and OM than we did. Of course neither of those teams played nearly as well as they did earlier in the season against us. It's true that LSU's talent level approaches ours. However, it's not been developed and the question is can CEO correct Miles' errors in this short a time. I'm betting not...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

I'm starting to regret petitioning our benevolent dictator to lift his ban and allow LSU fans to post on this site. Here is a rational, lucid, and non derogatory post by an LSU fan. I'm not sure how to deal with this. This guy is dismantling my long held beliefs about all LSU fans.

I vote we ban him immediately.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He was in his first career road game down by 21 points. Oxford wasn't the friendliest place to be at that exact moment.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A large part of their argument has to do with the fact that they performed much better against ARK and OM than we did. Of course neither of those teams played nearly as well as they did earlier in the season against us. It's true that LSU's talent level approaches ours. However, it's not been developed and the question is can CEO correct Miles' errors in this short a time. I'm betting not...
Yep, anytime you play a team that has recently been beaten by Bama there's a very good chance they'll not play as well as they played against Bama.

Everybody gets up for Bama. Everybody gets beat down by Bama - physically and emotionally.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Totally agree. We are 18-4 in our past 22 games in Death Valley. Coach Saban had 2 of those 4 wins for LSWho.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.