2016 Week Eleven Gameweek (MSU) Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban on SEC coaches' teleconference:

Saban: I think it's really important for our guys to focus on the task at hand
Saban on running quarterback: I think it's the day and age of football we play in now.
Saban says both teams have a different style of how they use their quarterbacks
Saban on Jalen Hurts: We're focused on trying to develop him into a complete quarterback
Saban on RB depth: "We like having multiple backs that can play so we can leave a little more tread on the tires as the season goes on."
Saban: "This team has shown a lot of resiliency in their competitive character." Wants to eliminate "the adversity we create for ourselves."

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Kinda worried about Cotton if Casher is getting snaps. Or maybe I am worrying too much.
For whatever reason, it did not look like Cotton had his best game on Saturday night. Maybe level of competition, maybe playing hurt, maybe he just had an off night. I'm not reading too much into it, though. This may just be developing more depth and cohesiveness of a back up with the rest of the 1s. The media viewing period is so short you can't really know what went on.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
For whatever reason, it did not look like Cotton had his best game on Saturday night. Maybe level of competition, maybe playing hurt, maybe he just had an off night. I'm not reading too much into it, though. This may just be developing more depth and cohesiveness of a back up with the rest of the 1s. The media viewing period is so short you can't really know what went on.
I do not know if Casher will start but he is not running with the 1's this week to develop more depth. This is a serious time of the year and if he is getting reps with the 1's it is because the coaches believe he is a better option. I don't think Cotton is injured so it does not appear to be due to injury. I do know Casher is one of our smaller OL (6' or 6' 1") but he is one of the strongest guys on the team.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Rewatching the game it was fairly obviously that Cotton missed several blocks that would have given our runners a substantial gain. He seemed to do decent in pass pro but on pull plays he completely missed his assigned man consistently. We definitely gave up a lot of points if you go back and watch film.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I know coach moves the O lineman around but wasn't Casher a center in high school? Maybe with another week or so Shank will be ready for the barn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is doing more than that - he is suggesting in many ways that this is not equitable. Alabama has more (everything) so can do this in ways that other programs simply cannot. IMO, he is trying to get the NCAA to change or eliminate this possibility.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He is doing more than that - he is suggesting in many ways that this is not equitable. Alabama has more (everything) so can do this in ways that other programs simply cannot. IMO, he is trying to get the NCAA to change or eliminate this possibility.
And I think they will. Similar in some ways like Harbaugh did with the satellite camps.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wednesday, November 9 practice report

Al.com

For a second straight day, a different player was practicing at first-team right guard. Korren Kirven was taking reps with the first group as Lester Cotton, the starter the last three games, watched the action. Josh Casher worked with the first team Tuesday and was practicing with the second group Wednesday.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Mullen also said many times that the 5 stars on Alabama's bench were better than his players. He is obviously trolling to get players to think about whether they are going to get snaps if they go to Alabama.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Mullen also said many times that the 5 stars on Alabama's bench were better than his players. He is obviously trolling to get players to think about whether they are going to get snaps if they go to Alabama.
Personally, I don`t think you can really blame him. Got to use anything and every thing you absolutely can when you`re so out manned. JMO.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm not so sure. That argument clearly hasn't been working against Bama - our yearly recruiting titles tell us that. Even with a few disgruntled blue chip players transferring we still have more talent to replace them. We've built a crucible here where the chaff burns away and high talent and championship minded players stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I wonder what's up with the RG position in practice? Getting more guys reps because of the extended absence of Shank?
I think Shank is likely done with football. taking this long to get out of concussion protocol isn't a very good sign, and for his long term health it's probably not worth the risk of another one.

For Cotton, it seems like it's just not quite clicking for him yet. LSU was certainly a tough test, but he had a really, really rough outing and as a casual observer, he doesn't yet seem to be progressing. He might need an offseason to be able to correct whatever is going on, especially since he had that bye-week as extra reps to build on and that didn't seem to correct the issue.

Kirven played really well the few times he's been pushed into duty at LT, so maybe this is his shot and with a viable backup at LT emerging the staff might want to get the next best OL a shot at playing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One thought that doesn't really deserve it's own topic but fits well here:

Dan Mullen has done the best overall coaching job of any Not-Nick-Saban SEC head coach since we got rolling in 2008. That seems crazy but think about this:

1. Mississippi State has been to a bowl game every year since 2010 (year 2 of Mullen)

2. Mississippi State won 9+ games 3 times in his tenure

3. They were the #1 team in the nation for several weeks in 2014

4. He coached arguably one of the best rookie QBs to come into the NFL in a long time.

5. He seems to have found a new QB showing that they may just achieve a bit more than they did with Dak the prior two seasons in 2017 or 2018.

He hasn't had that Les Miles 2011 regular season or magical Gus Malzahn 2013 run, but I don't think anyone has done more with a roster than him and the general trend for the program seems to be consistently competitive rather than in and out of bowl season.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
One thought that doesn't really deserve it's own topic but fits well here:

Dan Mullen has done the best overall coaching job of any Not-Nick-Saban SEC head coach since we got rolling in 2008. That seems crazy but think about this:

1. Mississippi State has been to a bowl game every year since 2010 (year 2 of Mullen)

2. Mississippi State won 9+ games 3 times in his tenure

3. They were the #1 team in the nation for several weeks in 2014

4. He coached arguably one of the best rookie QBs to come into the NFL in a long time.

5. He seems to have found a new QB showing that they may just achieve a bit more than they did with Dak the prior two seasons in 2017 or 2018.

He hasn't had that Les Miles 2011 regular season or magical Gus Malzahn 2013 run, but I don't think anyone has done more with a roster than him and the general trend for the program seems to be consistently competitive rather than in and out of bowl season.
AND he just hired Jimmy Sexton. Will LSU go after him?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Mullen is their backup plan in Baton Rouge. The question is who are 1A/1B? He has an appeal problem because at this point people don't immediately remember that this was the Urban Meyer Florida OC. They see a guy chugging out bowl eligible seasons with occasional 9+ win seasons. They forget the soil he's tilling though...pulling that off in Starkville is a helluva job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.