2016 Week Eleven Gameweek (MSU) Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban: The last game was very physical, tough. If you like old-fashioned football, I guess that's what it was.
Saban: I think the biggest thing is we can't have any kind of relief syndrome after a big, emotional game.
Saban: "We're excited to be back home and to be playing this game at Bryant-Denny Stadium."
Saban: Mississippi State is probably playing its best football of the season right now.
Saban: "Dan (Mullen) has done a great job there for a lot of years and we've always had some difficult games" against Mississippi State.
Saban on pass coverage: We didn't play well against Ole Miss or Arkansas, but the other games it has been fairly decent
Saban said stopping run-pass option plays will be a challenge for Alabama this week.
Saban: Kickoff coverage and kickoff return are two areas we need to do better in
Saban on Ryan Anderson: "First of all, he's a good leader. He's a smart player. ... He's a very, very good all-around football player."
Saban on "hateful guys" on defense: "I think to be a good competitor, you have to have a little stuff in your neck." He doesn't elaborate.
Saban: I just think we've got some really really competitive guys on defense.
Saban says Bradley Bozeman has done a really good job of helping the rest of the O-line do its job
Saban said facing Mississippi State's offense is different. Said it's kind of like the old wildcat offense, except "this guy can throw."
Saban on LB Reuben Foster's skill set: "I think that Reuben plays well whether we're playing against a direct run team or a spread team."
Saban on Anthony Averett: I think he's played well all season long... He kind of silently goes about his business and does a good job.
Saban on Anthony Averett: He plays smart, keeps people cutoff. Kind of silently goes about his business.
Saban on Lester Cotton: We still have some work to do in certain areas of our team. He's made steady improvement. Want to see him improve.
Saban on Tony Brown: "He did a good job in the game this past week, just have to work on his confidence and consistency in what he’s doing."
Saban said Keaton Anderson has done a fantastic job as the punt protector this year. He's the quarterback of that group.
Saban on Minkah Fitzpatrick: He did a good job. Didn't make a lot of mental errors. Really played well. Really bright guy.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wonder why they did not include Hurts?
Fumble, INT, and Saban said he missed a few reads in the first half. Saban is going to use every little bit to keep the kid motivated and grounded in order to get him to reach his full potential.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Fumble, INT, and Saban said he missed a few reads in the first half. Saban is going to use every little bit to keep the kid motivated and grounded in order to get him to reach his full potential.
Yeah. Thinking about it like that what he did at the end just got him out of the doghouse while Defense bailed him out in the 1st quarter.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He's been causing havoc all season. It's just not as much as Tim.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk
different anderson.

Keaton Anderson on special teams is #31 and ST player of the week. Ryan Anderson as the starter at OLB. Actually causing just as much havoc than Williams. Leads team in TFL and just barely behind williams and allen in sacks, and is a monster setting the edge against the run.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think in film study Hurts probably saw a lot of plays he'd like to have over. On his fumble, he appeared to be looking dead at a receiver in the middle of the field who looked like he was out early to practice and for whatever reason just could not deliver the ball. My guess is that the middle of the field/slant/seam routes were there most of the night the way LSU played the edges. He certainly recognized it on both his key third down and touchdown runs. If he can learn to make those throws over the middle our offense will start to be as scary as our defense. His long pass was more than good enough. A couple of times I think he handed off when keeping the ball was the correct read.

And I do not mean to be critical. For an 18-year-old I'd say he is performing at an amazing level. I also expect that they preach "don't turn the ball over" so much that he may occasionally stifle his instincts. I am in the camp that expects the light to come on for him rather suddenly. As soon as he is able to stop "thinking" and just play, well, it's exciting to consider.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
And I do not mean to be critical. For an 18-year-old I'd say he is performing at an amazing level. I also expect that they preach "don't turn the ball over" so much that he may occasionally stifle his instincts. I am in the camp that expects the light to come on for him rather suddenly. As soon as he is able to stop "thinking" and just play, well, it's exciting to consider.
Most QB's his age would have folded under the pressure of playing at night in TS in a game that went 0-0 for 3+ quarters. JH is a rare breed.

Last edited by a moderator:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It looks like Etling is holding on for dear life saying "DON'T DROP ME!"

He was terrified out there Saturday night. Not that I blame him, you couldn't pay me to take a snap against this defense...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed. Don't think they will name you POW with a fumble and int.

AH! I got ya. I have been seeing Keaton on ST. I thought he was trying to say something else. My fault.
different anderson.

Keaton Anderson on special teams is #31 and ST player of the week. Ryan Anderson as the starter at OLB. Actually causing just as much havoc than Williams. Leads team in TFL and just barely behind williams and allen in sacks, and is a monster setting the edge against the run.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.