The Donald Wins....now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is time to share this. I found it during my intellectual meanderings.
The is from Harper's Magazine, December 1856, p. 135
The agony is over, and the man whom the people—at least the majority of the people—willed to be their chief magistrate is chosen President of these United States. Half of the people have been very sure that if he were elected the country would come to an end, if the world did not. But we are inclined to believe that the Union will last a little longer, and that we shall have some good times yet, in time to come. It has been said that a "special Providence watches over children, drunkards, and the United States." They make so many blunders, and yet live through them, it must be that they are cared for, for they take very little care of themselves. So we are disposed to trust Providence, and not to worry.
My guy did not win, but I think we'll be okay.

For the left-statist Democrats on the board, how are those checks and balances looking now?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The stuff he said about Trump is the same stuff that could be said about Hillary & the Dems - the irony is rich....
I don't disagree. The hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle is a major reason I don't support one side over the other and tend to outright oppose both.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

Thought this was a pretty good statement even though I don't know much about this guy other than he's a Democrat. I'm no where close to PC but whitelash is a pretty accurate term for what I've seen around here. It is also just a backlash against status quo politics.

I feel like that the nation divide is going to deepen even more after this. It would be nice to start seeing politics going in the direction of bringing people back together after this but I have a feeling we're going to get the opposite.
I am shocked that he would play the race card.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
We have $20T in debt. We can't take care of others until we take care of ourselves.
If you can't understand that helping others does help us, I can't do anything about that. I say that as a lifelong conservative.

I had a 3 paragraph response with economic data, personal anecdotes from the field and examples but my browser crashed.

I know this forum is somewhat anonymous and online, but trust me when I say that I've seen the positive effects of what a small amount of cash can do for the economy of an entire village in Latin America. Our dollar goes a long way in these small and economically besieged countries and I've seen the fruits of those investments make their way back to the U.S.

Mind you I'm talking specifically about humanitarian aid on a personal or community level, not giant government payouts, but individual investment made to reputable non-profits with proven track records in these communities.

Of course we can take the cynical view and point to how money gets mishandled (one only need look as far as the American Red Cross in the wake of the Haiti earthquakes) but for every news story you hear of USAID malfeasance there are at least 10 families whose children can now attend school and who's income has literally doubled.

Someone also asked why we need tax incentives, and perhaps people would be more willing to give if they had more. I AGREE with this logic, but historically it has NOT held water. Even in economically prosperous times and with less taxation people give roughly the same amount to their designated non-profit. There is a lot of data on this. It's a nice thought, but people are generally selfish and they need prodding to give.

Why do you think "Toms" shoes are so popular? Because people get something out of it. I get a pair of shoes and then I get to feel good that a kid somewhere got a pair of shoes and then I get to wear my shoes around and show everyone how much I care about poor kids in Africa. The truth is that, sure, shoes are nice to have but the issues of safe water, community health, agriculture and micro-enterprise are infinitely more important than giving away shoes but they are also infinitely less-sexy. It's a whole new era of charitable giving where we don't really give but instead just buy a product for ourselves and then feel good that part of the profit goes to people who need it.

Now I know a lot of people will jump on and say they write checks or just give cash and I totally believe it, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that not enough people do it and at no time in American history have people done it to a level, no matter the economic scenario, where we could just stop foreign humanitarian aid outright.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If you can't understand that helping others does help us, I can't do anything about that. I say that as a lifelong conservative.

I had a 3 paragraph response with economic data, personal anecdotes from the field and examples but my browser crashed.

I know this forum is somewhat anonymous and online, but trust me when I say that I've seen the positive effects of what a small amount of cash can do for the economy of an entire village in Latin America. Our dollar goes a long way in these small and economically besieged countries and I've seen the fruits of those investments make their way back to the U.S.

Mind you I'm talking specifically about humanitarian aid on a personal or community level, not giant government payouts, but individual investment made to reputable non-profits with proven track records in these communities.

Of course we can take the cynical view and point to how money gets mishandled (one only need look as far as the American Red Cross in the wake of the Haiti earthquakes) but for every news story you hear of USAID malfeasance there are at least 10 families whose children can now attend school and who's income has literally doubled.

Someone also asked why we need tax incentives, and perhaps people would be more willing to give if they had more. I AGREE with this logic, but historically it has NOT held water. Even in economically prosperous times and with less taxation people give roughly the same amount to their designated non-profit. There is a lot of data on this. It's a nice thought, but people are generally selfish and they need prodding to give.

Why do you think "Toms" shoes are so popular? Because people get something out of it. I get a pair of shoes and then I get to feel good that a kid somewhere got a pair of shoes and then I get to wear my shoes around and show everyone how much I care about poor kids in Africa. The truth is that, sure, shoes are nice to have but the issues of safe water, community health, agriculture and micro-enterprise are infinitely more important than giving away shoes but they are also infinitely less-sexy. It's a whole new era of charitable giving where we don't really give but instead just buy a product for ourselves and then feel good that part of the profit goes to people who need it.

Now I know a lot of people will jump on and say they write checks or just give cash and I totally believe it, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that not enough people do it and at no time in American history have people done it to a level, no matter the economic scenario, where we could just stop foreign humanitarian aid outright.
Homeless veterans, veterans dying before they get the help they need, starving children in our country, among many, many others. Let's fix our problems first before we try and fix everyone else's problems. Read Matthew 7:4-5.

You want to make a difference globally? Good for you. Give to your church or favorite charity and donate all of your time to doing it. I think it's admirable. But to ask for the taxpayers to bear the burden of saving the world? Nope.

Last edited:

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
It's great that the people have spoken, no one gave Trump a chance yesterday at this time but the deplorables (me) did vote.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

I too believe we re to help those less fortunate. As a Christian I believe it should be done through our churches, not our government...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Will we ever get to see his tax returns? Still have to wonder what he was hiding.
I don't know but I believe that my taxes are between me and the IRS. If he has broken the law the IRS should have found it. If he obeyed the law and took huge deductions that makes him what? A law abiding citizen that's what.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Saw someone mention that Trump won with less votes than the last two Republican losers. 59.1 million versus 59.9 million (2008), 60.9 million (2012). Interesting statistic.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I haven't read through the thread but I can tell you exactly what we can expect: the same old, same old.

Trump may be able to actually fulfill a few of his campaign promises but he won't be able to do anything without toeing the Republican party line on most things and caving to the Democratic party on a significant number of things.

We'll see Trump undo a substantial number of Obama's executive orders, replacing them with many of his own - a surprising number of which will eventually look very similar to Bush's and Obama's. Well see Obamacare replaced with a Republican version of pretty much the exact same thing. It may be a little better but it'll still be based on invalid assumptions and an economic model that is really a fallacy and doomed to ultimately fail.

In the end, big government will just continue to get bigger and more and more individual liberties and States' rights will continue to erode away.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I think a lot of people that Felt the Bern just stayed home or voted for Trump. Guess the DNC gets to look in the mirror for 4 years and do a little self reflection on how they handled things.
That and the ones that only came out to vote for Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.