Link: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with ex-pro players is “ludicrous” / Meyer response

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with pro players is “ludicrous”

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

We could have our first "Bryant Rule", since Coach Bryant.
Have you forgotten the recruiting bump rule? All the SEC coaches voted against it until Saban outperformed them, and then they wanted the rule instituted rather than have to work to keep pace with CNS.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

The only thing that justifies "ludicrous" from Kelly would be us having TR or JPW or Blake actually play in the game. This has absolutely no bearing on the games themselves. If anything, Coach Saban and Cal are creating paying work for talented former players who are *not* actually in the NFL. Complaining about this is sour grapes. Don't want to hear it.
I agree with you. What doesn't feel right? It feels right to me. I think the players probably like this too.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

Sounds to me like he's just trying to deflect and make excuses for his own inadequacies as a head coach.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

He is practicing with high school players so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

I used to think Coach Brian Kelly was a really good coach. Now it seems like he's lost the team and throwing his coaches and players under the bus. Maybe the ND job is too big for him. He would be better served to emulate CNS rather than condemn him.
He can't emulate CNS. In ANY way. He has to first produce talent to participate. He's simply not capable.

That is all.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005

I wonder what the non-starters think about outsiders playing on the scout team. Many players hope that their play on scout team will catch the coaches' eyes. Current players lose practice time as well as opportunities to build a reputation. Think about how many times we have heard of some underclassman kicking butt on the scout team only to see them getting significant playing time the next year.

Not questioning Saban, but I suspect some of the scout team players aren't crazy about this.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

It doesn't feel right that an offensive lineman can block 3 yards down field on a pass play, making it look like a run play to the defense, but that is the rule. There are a lot of rules that need review. This is only one of them, and (unlike many others) it has almost no impact on the game itself.
I'm all for taking advantage of the rules. That's CNS's job. He's done nothing wrong.

The rule has a least an impact on the game or Coach Saban wouldn't bother with it. Let's beat up Trent rather than on of our guys who need rest.

The rule is too arbitrary with the word "occasional."

I don't care for Bryan Kelly and ludicrous is too strong a word. It just doesn't feel right to me. That's all.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Maybe, if Kelly did a little more coaching, and a little less complaining, his team might be... well, probably not...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Maybe, if Kelly did a little more coaching, and a little less complaining, his team might be... well, probably not...
No, they'd still suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I like what Broussard said on one of the many ESPN shows about it. He said something to the extent of the only thing ludicrous is that Brian Kelly should only be praising Nick Saban for what he is doing right now.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN

How is practicing with former players any different than getting coached by former NFL coaches? Or using professional training equipment? You'll pardon me if I fail to see how it's in any way questionable.

I think the whole "controversy" is really just people trying to find artificial justification about why our team dominates theirs.

Last edited:

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008

Notre Dame will never make it back to the championship game while KELLY is there.

rg915

Feb 25, 2011

JPW is on JOX radio every Friday morning, and they were all giving him a hard time about finding out he spent time on the practice team the week before from message boards. It sounded like he was sworn to secrecy, but his response was “y’all never asked me”. The first question, do you go out in pads? His answer was absolutely not. He pretty much sounded like he wasn’t in the best of shape, something like he needed oxygen after a play and a trainer after the next, and this routine went on throughout practice. He said he did not get paid, it’s against the rules, and he only practiced two days. After listening to their conversation I’m pretty sure this is as much a way to keep former players involved than anything else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.