Upset Saturday! (#2,3,4 lose)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Washington might not even end up in the P12CG if Washington State beats Colorado then wins the Apple Cup. That would be quite the turnaround for Wazzu after dropping their first two games to Eastern Washington (FCS) and Boise State (MWC). It would also likely all but end the Pac-12's chances at the CFP.

Some of the media types are trying to hype Oklahoma now to get that conference's fans back into the pot of watchful eyes...but I think they have almost no chance after getting stomped by Ohio State and Houston. West Virginia is really the only Big-12 team that has the backdoor shot in my opinion. They end the season with OU, @ISU, Baylor. Their OOC scheduling was not weak at all though Mizzou took a nose dive and BYU is just a bowl eligible type team this year. I think the committee has three tiered view on OOC scheduling: you tried and beat good team(s), you tried (scheduled names) but they didn't end up being good wins, you didn't try (Baylor's problem in 2014). If WVU is sitting at 11-1 and have an "at least your tried" OOC grade, I think they make it in over a Louisville team that won't be in the ACCCG...IF Washington drops another game.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Washington might not even end up in the P12CG if Washington State beats Colorado then wins the Apple Cup. That would be quite the turnaround for Wazzu after dropping their first two games to Eastern Washington (FCS) and Boise State (MWC). It would also likely all but end the Pac-12's chances at the CFP.

Some of the media types are trying to hype Oklahoma now to get that conference's fans back into the pot of watchful eyes...but I think they have almost no chance after getting stomped by Ohio State and Houston. West Virginia is really the only Big-12 team that has the backdoor shot in my opinion. They end the season with OU, @ISU, Baylor. Their OOC scheduling was not weak at all though Mizzou took a nose dive and BYU is just a bowl eligible type team this year. I think the committee has three tiered view on OOC scheduling: you tried and beat good team(s), you tried (scheduled names) but they didn't end up being good wins, you didn't try (Baylor's problem in 2014). If WVU is sitting at 11-1 and have an "at least your tried" OOC grade, I think they make it in over a Louisville team that won't be in the ACCCG...IF Washington drops another game.
I think OU has a REALLY good shot now, but they need a little help, some of which I see them getting (State will win the Apple Cup). The key indicator will be their position this week. If they make top 6 this week, they are guaranteed a top 5 spot if they win out (tOSU/UM loser drops out...even though it hurts the SOS they need tOSU to lose). Then it just remains whether you would jump them over a Louisville, who won't be a conference champion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
OU making the CFP two years in the row due to destroying their borderline group-of-five quality conference would be a travesty.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Another thought: you don't have to spin a yarn too long to find a scenario where almost every CFP participant doesn't win their conference.

OSU - Win out in regular season, PSU wins out in regular season, they stay at home during championship week, but make the CFP.

Alabama - Win out in regular season, lose SECCG, their loss is no worse than some of the ones we saw this weekend; make the CFP.

Louisville - Win out in regular season, Clemson wins out but loses in the ACCCG, they go to the CFP.

OU - They need to win out and have UDub lose one more...and probably need the Louisville scenario above too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There's another team that could cause problems - Oklahoma State. They can win the Big 12 with a win over Oklahoma since they are a game behind now. What does the committee do with them having two losses (and we all know they shouldn't have one of those)? They were ranked 13th last week, two spots behind OU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another thought: you don't have to spin a yarn too long to find a scenario where almost every CFP participant doesn't win their conference.

OSU - Win out in regular season, PSU wins out in regular season, they stay at home during championship week, but make the CFP.

Alabama - Win out in regular season, lose SECCG, their loss is no worse than some of the ones we saw this weekend; make the CFP.

Louisville - Win out in regular season, Clemson wins out but loses in the ACCCG, they go to the CFP.

OU - They need to win out and have UDub lose one more...and probably need the Louisville scenario above too.

This would be brilliant! :biggrin:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
well if all that happened, OU would be the only conference champ but they'd have two convincing beatings in OOC and one of those beatings at the hands of a CFP participant.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
PJ Fleck is a hard coach for me to figure out. He seems kinda snake oil salesman with all the sayings and acronyms but at the same time it is kind of a more "hip with the times" slant on Nick Saban's process. He's been building something there for the last few years...this isn't a one-off, he's been due a team like this...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
PJ Fleck is a hard coach for me to figure out. He seems kinda snake oil salesman with all the sayings and acronyms but at the same time it is kind of a more "hip with the times" slant on Nick Saban's process. He's been building something there for the last few years...this isn't a one-off, he's been due a team like this...
Agreed. He's been at WMU long enough that this season is his work. Just look at the records - 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, and 10-0. This isn't the "typical group of 5 coach getting one good year and getting a new job" season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He took over a wreck and has slowly built it into a factor G5 team. I think he was close to a season kinda like this the last few years but he didn't catch enough down Big Ten teams. Realistically, they're probably a 8-2 or 7-3 team right now in most seasons but they got their break finally.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.