Question: What can we expect from the coaching staff in the Iron Bowl?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Now that our spot in Atlanta is secured regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. Will we see a different approach in the Iron Bowl from our staff in the game planning? I'll go one step further and ask is it possible we will rest any players, whether it be the entire game or parts of the game?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Given the prior 10 year track record for this staff: We will do everything possible to stop our opponent, move the ball around the field, and score points.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Win the game. I dont think anything will change as far as game planning for Auburn. There are lot of rumors flying around on Auburn board regarding Woody Barrett and Sean White being done for the year.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
IMHO, CNS knows what this game means to the fans, players, etc. That being said, I see a game similar to MSU and that is we get our playmakers involved. Build a comfortable lead, starters on bench at some point in Q3.

RTR!

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Now that our spot in Atlanta is secured regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. Will we see a different approach in the Iron Bowl from our staff in the game planning? I'll go one step further and ask is it possible we will rest any players, whether it be the entire game or parts of the game?
I would love for you or one of the reporters to try and ask this to Coach Saban at a press conference. You would probably get run through a tin horn.:biggrin:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm pretty sure the staff is going to approach it like any other game against a respected opponent. But I will say that psychologically it was GREAT for the barn to lose to Uga and us clinch the West.

We usually play pretty uptight against the barn when the SECCG is on the line. Even if we get a lead we go into a shell trying not to lose while the barn is playing to win the whole game. Now though we KNOW we are in Atlanta no matter what.

So I think our guys will be loose this time and play to win....plus since nothing is on the line for the barn they just might quit if we get up big.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If we're resting players it'll be 'cause we're way ahead. Saban says UT is our biggest rival and while I agree with that for the most part - most of us don't live amongst the vol faithful. The majority of us live next to, work with, church with, and - in some unfortunate cases - even have barn relatives (I've been spared that particular injustice). Not winning that game with our best players on the sidelines would not go over well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think that you understand the process if you are seriously asking this question.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm pretty sure the staff is going to approach it like any other game against a respected opponent. But I will say that psychologically it was GREAT for the barn to lose to Uga and us clinch the West.

We usually play pretty uptight against the barn when the SECCG is on the line. Even if we get a lead we go into a shell trying not to lose while the barn is playing to win the whole game. Now though we KNOW we are in Atlanta no matter what.

So I think our guys will be loose this time and play to win....plus since nothing is on the line for the barn they just might quit if we get up big.
Wasn't 2013 the only year Alabama had not clinched the West by kickoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We used a game yesterday that meant more to us getting to Atlanta than what the Iron Bowl now means and we used that game to practice on passing. We also used it to rest a RB that has become a very important cog in the system.

No one is saying the staff isn't trying to win the game. But we'll be playing an Auburn team that will still have their starting QB and star RB less than 100% and it's still questionable whether Pettway plays at all. We've got the SEC championship and possibly two more games after that. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to think that the staff will use the Iron Bowl much like they did the Miss St game. The main objective is to win the game but I highly doubt we will be pulling all the bullets of the playbook out like we would if the game meant what it would have been if Auburn hadn't of lost Saturday. It is very possible that we will use the game to continue to "practice" on some things before tournament play begins. And also rest some players if possible.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just don't see it. Saban knows what the Iron Bowl means. MSU was used as a passing test because they're god awful in the pass defense. It was a perfect pairing: we want to calm Hurts down a bit and get him making progressions, MSU had a poor pass rush and lackluster coverage.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I don't think you'll see much different in our approach to this game until/when we are up by 35 in the fourth quarter. We would probably rest some folks, then.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It's still a big game. We need that third win in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.