President Trump's Team

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
So if "~70% of the population" is against such a thing becoming law, you think Trump would push it through regardless?
The quandary is that something like 80% of the country supports protecting religious freedom. Plus, this bill doesn't appear to be about making gay marriage unlawful (which would be nonsensical given the recent Supreme Court ruling). The Court has had opportunities to strike down or severely gut the current RFRA and has not thus far.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Why not? It hasn't stopped the GOP from trying. And as you know, most things in this country are not decided by popular vote -- after all, 2% more voters wanted Clinton as president, yet here we are. ;)
My question had nothing to do with the General election, Clinton and the popular vote. It was a simple "yes" or "no" question. ;)

I'll take that as a "yes" and we can move on

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
[video]http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/12/22/video_obama_saying_merry_christmas.html[/video]

sorry, couldn't get video to imbed
Yeah, but does it count when a Kenyan Muslim says it? (Blue font)

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Well darn. My post disappeared due to a connection issue on my end. The basics of it were this: While you have a point about marginalized groups, many of those groups have become unreasonable - and not just to those who are not allied with them. Take the recent treatment of the director of the movie Boys Don't Cry at Reed College. This kind of behavior continues to become more common. When people are unreasonable it is difficult to reason with them. Sometimes it makes you want to flip the bird and say "forget you" (the non-scrubbed version) even when you want good things for them. I guess I'm an oddity in that I want respectful treatment for everyone from everyone and I'm inclined to reject the jackasses on all sides.

PS Reason has an article about the Reed College incident. Can't link due to language.
Conservatism used to have this "my eyes out of your backyard, yours out of mine" tenant. Some conservatives still think that is something we should return to.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The quandary is that something like 80% of the country supports protecting religious freedom. Plus, this bill doesn't appear to be about making gay marriage unlawful (which would be nonsensical given the recent Supreme Court ruling). The Court has had opportunities to strike down or severely gut the current RFRA and has not thus far.
True. I was only using gay marriage polling as an analog for public opinion on these various anti-LGBT/religious freedom bills, because the polling on gay marriage is much more robust. And as I stated before, I still don't see religious freedom and LGBT equality as non-overlapping Venn diagrams. Unfortunately, that's increasingly how the rhetoric is portraying this.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My question had nothing to do with the General election, Clinton and the popular vote. It was a simple "yes" or "no" question. ;)

I'll take that as a "yes" and we can move on
Sorry for the snark. ;) In short, so long as 1000 people will cheer at his rallies, I don't think Trump gives two auburns about public opinion.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
They wont for the next 4 years as long as Bannon has Trumps attention.
Logic/truth/facts are just tools of oppression. See responses to Helen Reece's work. That basic theme was repeated by a friend who is deeply involved in certain academic pursuits related to race and gender and sexual orientation (in response to saying I'd have to wait on the facts to come out regarding one of the police shootings). That said, your criticism of Trump seems valid. Facts are stubborn things. Some people are just more stubborn.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.