President Trump's Team

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I don't think most people understand the implications of this.

Donald Trump's new FCC pick is essentially a death sentence for net neutrality

The government's primary media regulator has a new leader—and he's among the most outspoken critics of the net neutrality regulations put in place during the Barack Obama administration.

Aji Pai, who's served as an FCC commissioner since 2012, has been selected by President Donald Trump as the next chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, a role that will give him serious power to reshape how the government regulates the media and the internet.

Pai's appointment is a death knell for the major changes put in place under outgoing chairman Tom Wheeler, which gave the FCC greater power to prevent internet providers from blocking websites, throttling traffic, striking deals to create fast lanes, or really, anything else that would violate the principles of net neutrality.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So if that's not true tell me when it was enacted. I could have sworn it was February 15, 2015.
it was officially enacted then under the current regulation but there were earlier regulations, that had the same effect which also precluded the same behaviors we are concerned about for the years prior. Then prior to that the technology didn't really exist for these companies to behave badly. So yeah, you were technically correct that this rule has only existed since 2015 but that doesn't mean what you want it too. It doesn't mean that ending this rule today makes it just like 2014 and nothing will change, far from it actually

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
it was officially enacted then under the current regulation but there were earlier regulations, that had the same effect which also precluded the same behaviors we are concerned about for the years prior. Then prior to that the technology didn't really exist for these companies to behave badly. So yeah, you were technically correct that this rule has only existed since 2015 but that doesn't mean what you want it too. It doesn't mean that ending this rule today makes it just like 2014 and nothing will change, far from it actually
Thanks, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I just really don't know that much about it. Just what I've seen in headlines.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yeah Ajit Pai came up in our last discussion on net neutrality. I concluded he's a lying sack of crap.

Not good news.
no, it's not

and part of me can't wait to read the Trump voter posts wondering why their Netflix just went to $25 a month or that "Netflix streaming sucks on Comcast maybe I'll switch to Comflix (or whatever their inevitable service gets called) instead" or how much it sucks that they run out of bandwidth every month for Amazon Prime or have to keep ESPN on a cable package because they go over their cap with slingtv but if they buy the cable channel it doesn't count against their data.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.