President Trump's Team

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Mnuchin didn't invent predatory lending nor did he invent aggressive debt collection either. Are the financial institutions suppose to just write off the debt and give the people the home?

Just trying to understand your reasoning that Mnuchin basically doing his job when the homeowner defaulted and refused to vacate on the mortgage would make him "bad"
I never said he invented predatory lending or that it was an illegal practice, but I don’t necessarily think elevating a man with his history inspires good faith. In an era where experts are warning that hedge funds may be the next bubble to burst and usher in another recession, I’m not convinced that a former hedge fund guy whose only stated public policy is to eliminate all business oversight is a good appointment. And I don’t think that a guy who publically stated that he only fundraised so hard for Trump in order to get this cabinet position and deregulate business is deserving of absolute trust.

I certainly didn’t vote for Trump, but eliminating corruption in Washington is one idea I can get behind, and I sure as hell mean to hold him to that promise. It hasn’t been going well so far.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I never said he invented predatory lending or that it was an illegal practice, but I don’t necessarily think elevating a man with his history inspires good faith. In an era where experts are warning that hedge funds may be the next bubble to burst and usher in another recession, I’m not convinced that a former hedge fund guy whose only stated public policy is to eliminate all business oversight is a good appointment. And I don’t think that a guy who publically stated that he only fundraised so hard for Trump in order to get this cabinet position and deregulate business is deserving of absolute trust.

I certainly didn’t vote for Trump, but eliminating corruption in Washington is one idea I can get behind, and I sure as hell mean to hold him to that promise. It hasn’t been going well so far.
Appreciate the response and that makes a lot more sense than your initial post (to me at least) relative to Mnuchin. Seems we both can agree on eliminating corruption in Washington. Obviously its a "wait and see" situation as to how it works out in the long term. As far as the Mnuchin statements that you reference can you please provide a link, as I would be interested in more due diligence relative to Mnuchin.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Appreciate the response and that makes a lot more sense than your initial post (to me at least) relative to Mnuchin. Seems we both can agree on eliminating corruption in Washington. Obviously its a "wait and see" situation as to how it works out in the long term. As far as the Mnuchin statements that you reference can you please provide a link, as I would be interested in more due diligence relative to Mnuchin.
I interpolated a bit with that statement. Since Mnuchin hasn't been in the public eye, we really don't know anything about his policy beliefs other than his recent vows to end Dodd-Frank and the practice of financial regulation in general.

He was interviewed by Bloomberg during the campaign, which strongly implied that Trump had offered this secretary position in exchange for his role of fundraising.

Trump, who declined to be interviewed, has told donors Mnuchin would be good at the job of stewarding the world’s biggest economy. Mnuchin himself is circumspect, and if you ask him about his motivations—getting him on the phone between $50,000-a-plate dinners, or in his Manhattan office—he sounds less like a political obsessive than an investor closing a deal he can’t quite discuss... “Nobody’s going to be like, ‘Well, why did he do this?’ if I end up in the administration.”
Link

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Odds are we have different takeaways from that article however I thought it was a good read being very enlightening/informative (shades of a certain Bret Easton Ellis novel -"He was into that whole Yale thing."). Sincere thanks for posting the link. We shall see...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Trump made it official last night.

Secretary of Defense:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...cec35b1ad25_story.html?utm_term=.5ec5d1681278

President-elect Donald Trump said Thursday he has chosen retired Marine Gen. James N. Mattis, who has said that responding to “political Islam” is the major security issue facing the United States, to be secretary of defense.

“We are going to appoint Mad Dog Mattis as our secretary of defense,” Trump told a rally in Cincinnati, the first stop on a post-election “thank-you tour.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the will have to figure out a waiver/way around the law for him to serve.

(a) There is a Secretary of Defense, who is the head of the Department of Defense, appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within seven years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force.
link to us code

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I missed this nomination becoming official.

Secretary of Transportation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/us/politics/elaine-chao-transportation-trump.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — She is a woman and an immigrant, a fixture of the Republican establishment for two decades. She is a savvy and professional practitioner of the capital’s inside game.

And now she is going to work for President-elect
Donald J. Trump.

Mr. Trump named Elaine L. Chao on Tuesday as his choice to be the next secretary of transportation, elevating someone whose background and experience are in many respects completely at odds with the brash and disruptive tenor of his anti-Washington campaign.

But her selection also signaled Mr. Trump’s understanding of the need to surround himself with people who can help him accomplish the most ambitious parts of his agenda, even if they come from the political establishment he has so often scorned.

His transportation secretary is likely to be one of the more essential players. Mr. Trump, a real estate magnate, has said that infrastructure redevelopment will be a priority of his first 100 days in office. And Ms. Chao has experience — politically and personally — in navigating the competing centers of power in the capital. She is married to Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
the will have to figure out a waiver/way around the law for him to serve.

link to us code
While he should be able to get the waiver, requiring one is probably an unconstitutional restriction on the president's appointment power. If the Senate believes Gen. Mattis is unfit due to having served recently in the armed forces, all it has to do is vote down his confirmation.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
ARTICLE II, SECTION 2, CLAUSE 2

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
While he should be able to get the waiver, requiring one is probably an unconstitutional restriction on the president's appointment power. If the Senate believes Gen. Mattis is unfit due to having served recently in the armed forces, all it has to do is vote down his confirmation.

ARTICLE II, SECTION 2, CLAUSE 2
actually, all the senate has to do is follow the law.

i expect to see many arguments from small government conservatives in the next few years about the wide extent of the president's constitutional powers.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.