President Trump's Team - Page 7
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
Results 79 to 91 of 362
  1. #79
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    6,056

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    A great choice IMO but look for dems to go all in on blockading this one during confirmation hearings. They absolutely loathe Senator Sessions, almost as much as they do John Bolton.
    The republicans control the senate and sessions has been a senior member for quiet some time. So it should pass with flying colors as long as Cruz and his group don't feel too slighted for sessions endorsement snub.

    Plus the dems should probably consider this a mercy nomination since Giuliani is still out there.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #80
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    14,340

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Thanks for the correction. He couldn't make it through his last Senate confirmation, so I guess we'll see if 2016 is more forgiving of his racist past than the 1980s.
    Do these accusations of racism have anything to do with something other than his stance on Illegal Immigration? Honest question as I do not know, and I also do not consider his stance on illegal immigration to be racist, but I know the left does and that's ok, I don't want to get into a debate about that. I just wanted to know if it was because of something else. I know nothing about Jeff Sessions in the 80s.

    Nevermind, Charmin. I looked it up.
    Last edited by TideEngineer08; November 18th, 2016 at 11:14 AM.

  4. #81
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    9,918

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The republicans control the senate and sessions has been a senior member for quiet some time. So it should pass with flying colors as long as Cruz and his group don't feel too slighted for sessions endorsement snub.

    Plus the dems should probably consider this a mercy nomination since Giuliani is still out there.
    I hope you're right. I think Jeff is supremely qualified for the position. The senate DOES have a history of giving a lot of deference to one of it's own, and I would expect this confirmation hearing to be much less than contentious than the one back in 1986. In fact, the only sitting senator that I recall in recent memory being successfully blocked from a cabinet level position was John Tower back in the late 80's--though I could be wrong. All others in recent times have been confirmed.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  5. #82
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta 'Burbs
    Posts
    7,903

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Do these accusations of racism have anything to do with something other than his stance on Illegal Immigration? Honest question as I do not know, and I also do not consider his stance on illegal immigration to be racist, but I know the left does and that's ok, I don't want to get into a debate about that. I just wanted to know if it was because of something else. I know nothing about Jeff Sessions in the 80s.

    Nevermind, Charmin. I looked it up.
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/16/fi...ons-no-liberty

  6. #83
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Birmingham & Atlanta
    Posts
    16,012

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    Dr. Carson has declined to serve in the Trump administration.
    Yeah. He ran for president and now says he isn't qualified to serve in the administration. Go figure.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

  7. #84
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    5,292

    Re: President Trump's Team

    We will see how that whole Trump is in favor of states' rights thing goes when Sessions gets in and wants to crack down on states that legalized pot.

  8. #85

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Nevermind, Charmin. I looked it up.
    Yeah, Jon's link is a good one. But for those who didn't go looking: Jeff Sessions failed his 1986 Senate nomination hearing for a U.S. District Court in Alabama because he was too racist. He's called the NAACP and ACLU "un-American." He referred to a black attorney as "boy" and told him that he needs to "be careful what [he says] to white folks." He called a white lawyer a "disgrace to his race" for representing a black client. He's suggested the KKK isn't so bad.

    I don't have the drive to list all Jeff Session's greatest hits here, such as his views on illegal and legal immigrants, belief the the war on drugs was successful, or backwards views on "the gays." But I'll leave you with this: the man who has been chosen as the top law enforcement official in the country is on record stating that grabbing random women by the p_ssy does not constitute sexual assault.

  9. #86
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    14,933

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I hope you're right. I think Jeff is supremely qualified for the position. The senate DOES have a history of giving a lot of deference to one of it's own, and I would expect this confirmation hearing to be much less than contentious than the one back in 1986. In fact, the only sitting senator that I recall in recent memory being successfully blocked from a cabinet level position was John Tower back in the late 80's--though I could be wrong. All others in recent times have been confirmed.
    Actually, Tower was a FORMER Senator, who retired in 1985. I still get your point but anyway.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

  10. #87
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    14,933

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Once again, it will be interesting to see because ONCE AGAIN we have an ACTUAL racist as opposed to 'just some Republican we want to whine about and call a racist.'

    And as I said months ago - you spend fifty years crying 'racist' (wolf) don't be surprised when a real wolf (racist) appears and nobody listens to what you have to say.

    I wonder if it ever dawned on any of the true believers that maybe just maybe the only reason 'X is a racist' has been a common theme is because 90-plus percent of the black vote is Democratic and they're throwing red meat to their base just like the GOP does with school prayer.

    GW Bush not approving hate crime legislation is a far cry from Sessions.

    Oh and one more thing......I don't think I recall any time where the opposition party liked the Presidential choice for AG.

    The Democrats whined about Ed Meese (Reagan). They couldn't make a big deal about Thornburgh because they'd decided to torpedo John Tower. The Republicans didn't care for Zoe Baird, they DID like Kimba Wood (whom Clinton withdrew), and it was back and forth over the recently deceased Janet Waco. Democrats whined about Ashcroft, Republicans whined about Holder and Lynch.

    Seems to be right out of the instruction manual.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

  11. #88
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,024
    Thread Starter

    Re: President Trump's Team

    http://www.weeklystandard.com/in-ala...rticle/2005461

    Now that Jeff Sessions is Donald Trump's pick for attorney general, you're going to hear a lot of people dig up old accusations that Sessions is a racist. In fact, CNN did so last night. However, between the nature of the accusations and Sessions's actual record of desegregating schools and taking on the Klan in Alabama, it strains credulity to believe that he is a racist.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 18-Time World Champions: 2017, 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

    “The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

  12. #89
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    14,340

    Re: President Trump's Team

    I posted this in the wrong thread. I should have posted it here, instead of the Donald Thread.

    Concerning the racism of Jeff Sessions:

    http://yellowhammernews.com/politics...nk-hes-racist/

  13. #90
    BamaNation All-American sabanball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Forrest Streight Trail
    Posts
    2,168

    Re: President Trump's Team


  14. #91
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,024
    Thread Starter

    Re: President Trump's Team

    Ambassador to the United Nations:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/nikki-haley-donald-trump-un-ambassador.html?_r=0


    President-elect Donald J. Trump on Wednesday named Gov. Nikki Haley of South Carolina as his choice to become ambassador to the United Nations, adding to his prospective cabinet a former critic with whom he had sparred bitterly.

    Ms. Haley’s name had previously been mentioned as a possible contender to become Mr. Trump’s secretary of state, and she met with
    Trump transition officials last week in New York.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 18-Time World Champions: 2017, 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

    “The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!