PFF: Josh Jacobs Could be Alabama's X-Factor for CFP

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

On Saturday, when three of the teams currently ranked amongst the College Football Playoff contenders all lost, it was No. 1-ranked Alabama that laid down the gauntlet to their potentially challengers with a dominant conference win over Mississippi State. As impressive as the 51-3 win was on paper alone though, the play of true freshman running back Joshua Jacobs should have made the rest of the top teams in the nation stand up and take notice.

So how can a true freshman with just 68 carries in his college football career become a major part of Alabama’s national championship run? Let’s take a look.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My vote will be Bo Scarborough as the potential X-factor. Bo has gotten better and better in the running game as the year has gone on. His power running style and speed adds a nasty dimension to the offense. Arm tackling him is basically like choosing to sacrifice a body part. He's an automatic three yards every time he's given the ball between the tackles. Just the few times he got the ball against LSU the offense moved quickly down the field.

But Jacobs is special as well and wouldn't be surprised at all if he busted out either.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
The defenses we will face in the CFP, wont be as physical as LSU's. So Jacobs will have a chance to truly shine come playoff time.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The defenses we will face in the CFP, wont be as physical as LSU's. So Jacobs will have a chance to truly shine come playoff time.
I agree. As much as we now spread teams out he will be very, very dangerous with all the space he will have.

Our rushing game is very, very good. Jacobs has that it factor. I think someone said they had to take him out because of the score. He would have kept running. I hope all can remain healthy. Emmons being out after surgery isn't good. Gore though looks very good too. Jacobs though can really do nice things with the ball. Good pick up.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
When he's healthy, Harris has been a beast though. Hard to take a healthy Harris out in critical situations.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jacobs has incredible vision and hits the hole FAST.... and my goodness he just breaks ankles with his juke and slashing moves. I still can't get over how much he looks and runs JUST LIKE Mark Ingram.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jacobs is very good in space, but he needs space. Bo has become more physical. He could really be a beast if he learned a good stiff arm. Harris is the more consistent back. He can do it all.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Jacobs reminds me of a more shifty version of Ingram with possibly a higher gear. I also liked what I saw from Ronnie Clark. Hate that because of the attrition at RB and his achilles tendon that he has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle. He was a highly rated 4 star

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jacobs is very good in space, but he needs space. Bo has become more physical. He could really be a beast if he learned a good stiff arm. Harris is the more consistent back. He can do it all.
If by space you mean a hole or a crease.....then yes he is very good in space....lol:wink: He's 2nd on team in rushing from the RB's (Harris is 1st) and he averages a whopping 7.0 Ypc which is 2nd only to Harris at 7.4 Ypc. Plus if you factor in his receiving yards his avg yards per touch is 7.6. That leads all the RB's and QB's. He's a BEAST.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I hope Damien, Josh, and Bo are all healthy enough to play v Auburn, TN/FL, and in the playoffs because we will need all 3 of them to wear down the defenses. I know Bo has had knee problems/surgery at least twice before, so hopefully his sprained knee will heal by the Auburn game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think they've tried to control Harris' snaps lately because I doubt he's 100% from that ankle sprain. That is probably why Harris only had 4 touches against MSU. Scarbough is dinged up a bit too. Wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie Clark and Derrick Gore get legitimate snaps with the first team offense this week. At the most, Harris may play simply to optimize pass pro in what will likely be another opportunity for Hurts to improve his comfort in the passing game.

So yeah, really good chance that Jacobs gets the start this weekend.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I heard the commentator during the game say that without Scarbrough we were done to 2 scholarship running backs. Are Clark and Gore not on scholarship or what?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.