Link: JK Scott NOT a Ray Guy Semifinalist

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I feel like he's getting shamed on his number of punts returned because we're pretty ballsy with our punt decisions. We don't try a ton of directional stuff or even consider rugby style punts. We know we have some of the best athletes in the nation so we tell him to kick the cover off the football and have our fastest guys leverage the returner into the middle or outright make the tackle if they get a good release...our TE/DE/LB body types are athletic too so they're often down there just a few ticks behind the speedy guys.

If JK Scott played on a less good team then I imagine he'd do more tactical punting and lower his return numbers. When we've asked him to go directional, he executes it...we just take our chances that with his leg and our team speed that opting to feint the return opportunity to the opponent is the best strategy. Gives more opportunities to create turnovers, often lures teams into catching balls they shoulda let go into the endzone.

The voters just don't respect that strategy because it is talent-based hubris all-around.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They almost outright say if he did not play for Alabama he would have made our list, because you guys win all the awards already so it's not fair.
But Alabama players do not win many awards, relatively speaking. IMO, the "Alabama" stigma has cost a number of your players awards since Saban arrived. By that I mean that many players are seen as a product of having played for a great team rather than being great of their own accord.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
But Alabama players do not win many awards, relatively speaking. IMO, the "Alabama" stigma has cost a number of your players awards since Saban arrived. By that I mean that many players are seen as a product of having played for a great team rather than being great of their own accord.
That's true. I really meant to say something more like "Alabama already wins everything" referring to the NCs.

But you are right. Looking back over the years a lot of our guys have gotten snubbed.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This was linked in the Alabama Football News sticky:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/rammer-jammer-nick-saban-press-conference-jk-scott-awards

This season he’s averaging 48.4 yards a punt, and more than half (19) of his 36 punts were either fair caught or downed inside the 20-yard line.
Scott’s problems mostly seem to come down to usage. He’s only punted 36 times this season, and while Ohio State’s Cameron Johnston has the same number of kicks, 75 percent of his punts were pinned deep. Alabama’s punt cover team is a little looser, giving up nearly 10 yards a return to Ohio State’s four.

By pure yardage, Scott deserves to be in consideration for the award, but the committee’s evaluation isn’t limited to average. So for Scott, the Ray Guy — and the Heisman – will have to wait until next year.

Incidentally, the Ray Guy winner has never played for the eventual national champion of that season.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I hope that none of our guys win awards... Meaning -- I hope they are so ticked off at being snubbed that they just steamroll every team we play. In a team sport there is really only one award that counts -- and no one votes on the final recipient.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.