Link: Wake Forest Fires Radio Color Commentator for Giving Other Teams Plays

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Wake Forest Investigating if Louisville Knew Too Much Before Saturday's Game

Glad they take this seriously. Like academics, at UNC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Wake Forest Investigating if Louisville Knew Too Much Before Saturday's Game

Louisville is a scummy program. Look at the glorified prostitution ring their b-ball program had going on...hiring that scumbag Petrino right back into an power 5 job...then this crap with Wake Forest.

Jurich gets so much respect from the media but I have no respect for him at all. Look at his program and I think you can see what kind of man he is in reality.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So getting another team's plays in advance isn't an NCAA violation? Anybody that got this needs to be sanctioned to some extent.

To make it sound like a couple of old buddies chatting over a beer is a bunch of scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I absolutely agree that they should not have used the information (and are we sure that they did?), but I am not so sure that they should have told anyone. They believed that old relationships brought this to the UL locker room. They almost certainly believed that they only got these plays because of that relationship. You have to burn two people, one of them your own guy, if you report this. And, at the time, they believed it to be an isolated incident.

Now, that said, once it became clear that this guy at WF had been doing this with other teams, it was time to come clean. It is time that they help the sport by ensuring that this guy never works anywhere near the sport again. You try to do it in a way that protects your guys, but you turn over evidence that they were helped by this clown.

I don't like Petrino at all. I certainly don't like the culture at Louisville. But I am not sure that I blame them for keeping this quiet when it first went down.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Is this any different from two HC's getting together and sharing a tendency of a team one just finished playing and the other preparing to play? I'm sure this happens via phone conversations constantly.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Is this any different from two HC's getting together and sharing a tendency of a team one just finished playing and the other preparing to play? I'm sure this happens via phone conversations constantly.
A lot more is shared on calls like that than you would believe - including things like "tells" that teams have when they are going to run certain types of plays. But then never come with actual excerpts from the playbook, which seems to have been the case here.

Still, your point is valid. You would get more useful information from a coach who had just played them than from their playbook. The only thing more valuable than those coaching conversations might be the play calls, and I have not heard that this was included in the information shared.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

I thought a part of the issue was that he passed info on "special" plays that WF was planning to use against the Cards implying the plays had not previously been ran against other opponents. Perhaps I misread.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I thought a part of the issue was that he passed info on "special" plays that WF was planning to use against the Cards implying the plays had not previously been ran against other opponents. Perhaps I misread.
Yep, but that would amount to only a tiny portion of the game. Nothing that Wake was going to run on those plays was going to result in an 80 yard TD. They aren't that good.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Yep, but that would amount to only a tiny portion of the game. Nothing that Wake was going to run on those plays was going to result in an 80 yard TD. They aren't that good.
Roger. No one is really disputing that this really didn't change the outcome of the game. Ethically (assuming such things matter) it still smells.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's what started the whole thing. If the plays were common ones, I don't think the coaches would have thought about it. But since they were plays they had not used before, they started wondering how Louisville would have gotten them.

Saw someone tweet this screenshot of a text message from a D-1 hoops coach.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
The response from Tom Jurich the Louisville AD is bizarrely tone deaf. He admits to cheating, but only expresses disappointment this has led to a distraction as they prepare for the Citrus Bowl.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I think it's very different -- it's specific game-plan information and it's coming form within the program. That's a pretty big difference than pumping a coach who just played them or a former player/graduate assistant for info.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.