Link: Wake Forest Fires Radio Color Commentator for Giving Other Teams Plays

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In any other profession, if someone in your organization is doing something that is illegal or violates the rules, you have an obligation to report it to someone. If you don't, and the organization suffers because of it, you are partially to blame.
You answered the question what does two plus two equal with tomato. Really. If you are going to quote me, answer the question posted in the quote.

If Alabama were accused of cheating in this manner, how do you disprove something like this? Answer. You cannot. So everyone would believe that you were guilty. That's what is happening here. The only one that we know is guilty of breaking any rules in the guy who gave out the plays. The rest is just stuff that you guys are assuming from the limited information that you have.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not saying give the death penalty to a team who got the plays. But I would dock them a scholarship or two depending on how high up it was known about the leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Folks here have a lot more information than the coaches involved did at the time. I suspect that if any of these coaches knew that the plays were real, and that this guy was doing this whenever/wherever he could, they all would have turned him in. But they didn't. Instead of demanding justice for some crime that we perceive as having been perpetrated, how about we ask ourselves why no one turned this guy in. Some of the programs that got this information have great integrity. None turned this guy in. Why?

In my world, that means that they did not take it seriously.
If a playbook, of "trick plays", of the cupcake opponent we were going to play suddenly materialized, my assumption would have been:

1.) It is disinformation, trying to get us to key in on the wrong signs, so the real "trick plays" would have a slightly more infinitesimal chance of working.
2.) It is disinformation, designed to expose us as cheaters, or at least sully our image.

Actions taken would have been:

1.) Ignore it.
2.) Review it, after the game, to see which it was, and then take appropriate action, if needed. Which would probably be tell the AD, and let them deal with it! Who needs the clutter?

Seriously, if a radio announcer said they could give you the trick plays playbook, would you believe him? Or just laugh, saying "Nice try, bub. Try again next year. You might want to work on being a bit more believable."

A former player, grad assistant, and coach...............your first inclination would be to think he had a grudge, because he was not retained, and wanted his alma mater to lose? Sorry, but it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe that.

But, now we know he did this. Still hard to comprehend.

At this point, it seems all it did was keep Wake from using its trick plays. While I think Petrino is scum, is there any evidence they actually used it? Or would have, if Wake did run any of those plays? Seems to be both teams were sandbagged, by a disgruntled cretin. Wake loses, probably worse than they would have. And we get to beat up on scumbag Petrino for being a scumbag.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Wake Forest concluded that team radio announcer Tommy Elrod -- a former player and assistant coach -- provided or attempted to provide confidential game preparations to opponents several times starting in 2014.
"Let's see...............if I leave a set of the trick plays, we are planning to run, in plain sight, where our guys will find it, and maybe they will think it was left there by scumbag Petrino's guys, so they will take them out of the game plan........"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Louisville announces co-OC Lonnie Galloway is suspended for his involvement in WakeyLeaks.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Louisville announces co-OC Lonnie Galloway is suspended for his involvement in WakeyLeaks.
He admitted to receiving the data, so he was clearly the guy who was going to be offered up if they decided to offer someone up. If they really think that he cheated, he will be fired or leave before next season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah...and if you had done the right thing when you got the info, you wouldn't be in that situation, would you? We aren't assuming anything. You're just ignoring the facts for no apparent reason.
You call presumptions facts. I am sticking to validated facts.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

It's starting to unfold now. Anyone other than one poster on here believe of all the teams and coaches, this dude is the only one to have used the information? IMO not a chance and the snowball will roll.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's starting to unfold now. Anyone other than one poster on here believe of all the teams and coaches, this dude is the only one to have used the information? IMO not a chance and the snowball will roll.
You seriously believe that a whole bunch of programs are about to admit to something similar and start suspending people?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
You seriously believe that a whole bunch of programs are about to admit to something similar and start suspending people?
Since you asked, here is what I believe. One coach at one school has taken the fall for cheating. HIGHLY likely others did the same at other schools. Now that one is proven, seems pretty certain others are going to asked the infamous question of who knew and when? Do they lie, and then it comes out they were guilty, or do they tell the truth. Here is what I think you may be missing. Wake Forest knows and can offer proof. Sorry I don't share your views on this...I happen to think cheating is very wrong.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Seriously.................all of these teams needed "help" to beat Wake Forest?

Their release stated it had happened, on multiple occasions, since 2014. Any wonder why it went on for so long?

Because no one took it seriously.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Seriously.................all of these teams needed "help" to beat Wake Forest?

Their release stated it had happened, on multiple occasions, since 2014. Any wonder why it went on for so long?

Because no one took it seriously.
Some needed help, some didn't. That is not the point cuda. Certainly looks like Louisville is taking it "seriously" now they have been outed for it. Let's just see.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Big difference between ignoring it but not reporting it and not reporting it because.............."we plead the 5th."

Sounds like the former. If it was the latter, he would no longer be working there.

OK, it is Lou-ah-ville. Maybe he still would be there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some needed help, some didn't. That is not the point cuda. Certainly looks like Louisville is taking it "seriously" now they have been outed for it. Let's just see.
Are they though? If he is still there in the spring, they are just trying to make this go away quietly. If they fire him, they really believe that he did something wrong. My bet is that he will still be there in the spring.

The former coaches and players who I have seen asked about this have all said that this is much ado about nothing.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I seriously do...

The ACC fined Louisville and Virginia Tech $25,000 each for accepting leaked gameplan information from Wake Forest radio broadcaster Tommy Elrod, the league announced Saturday.

The $25,000 penalty is the maximum fine allowed under ACC bylaws. Earlier this week, both schools admitted that assistants at their respective programs received specific plays from Elrod, who has since been fired from his duties with IMG and barred from Wake Forest.

"I am deeply disturbed something like this would occur, and regardless of the degree of involvement, the protection of the competitive integrity of our games is fundamental to any athletic contest," ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. "Sportsmanship and ethical values are at the core of competitive integrity and in these instances, those were missing. The expectation, regardless of the sport, is that any athletics department staff members would immediately communicate with their supervisor if they are approached by someone from another institution with proprietary information."

Full Story

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yep, but please don't belabor the fact this is true and widespread. Someone "BIG" might find it hard to believe:)
The only story with Beamer is his current employer fining him. We already knew Va Tech accepted the plays.

Why UGA fined him and made it public is the odd part here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.