Oklahoma D Lineman quits team for draft prep

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Link
"Quitting on your teammates is hard to take as a coach," Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops told reporters after Tuesday's practice.
So it wasn't LF7 that quit, but it looks like the idea is in guys' heads. Need to hear all the facts though. He had a concussion earlier this season, so maybe he felt vulnerable.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There's more to the story...

Oklahoma defensive lineman Charles Walker has decided to immediately leave the Sooners to prepare for the NFL draft, the school confirmed Tuesday.

Walker started four games for the Sooners this season before suffering a concussion Oct. 1 against TCU. He has not played since.
It's not like he started the game Saturday, woke up Sunday morning and decided "I'm going stop this nonsense and start preparing for the draft."

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
This is a situation that's hard to call for me. He missed the Clemson playoff game last year with a concussion and hasn't played since Oct 1st from another one. He's been projected to be a day 2 pick in the draft and it's hard for me to criticize him for looking to protect his future. Then again, he may be hurting his own stock by making this declaration.

It's also a good bet Mike Stoops isn't helping recruiting by calling the kid a quitter.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
There's more to the story...

It's not like he started the game Saturday, woke up Sunday morning and decided "I'm going stop this nonsense and start preparing for the draft."
Yes, but the story involves the coach basically calling him a quitter. You'd think if he had a valid reason that the coach would back him, or else the story is a jerk of a coach.

beardensdaman44

All-SEC
Mar 7, 2006
The guy has had 3 concussions and also has a child. Bomani Jones said it best when he said something to the effect of "he'll put his health on the line to support his family but not to make money for the coaches and university."

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Could be Mike Stoops is a jerk.
Yup..There's been coaches that's quit during the season on college football players, to take another higher paying job, they always say it's nothing personal towards the players & was a business decision in best interest of his family..Which I can understand that & don't blame a man wanting to better his life for his family..

Even though it should be about the education..We all know it's a business to these highly ranked high school players when they choose the University to play College Football it's a business decisions now days..There's pretty much nothing players & coaches can do in college football that would surprise me anymore..

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This is a situation that's hard to call for me. He missed the Clemson playoff game last year with a concussion and hasn't played since Oct 1st from another one. He's been projected to be a day 2 pick in the draft and it's hard for me to criticize him for looking to protect his future. Then again, he may be hurting his own stock by making this declaration.

It's also a good bet Mike Stoops isn't helping recruiting by calling the kid a quitter.
Well, with the NFL's attempt at mitigating concussions and all, considering he's already had a couple, I'm not sure any teams will want the potential financial liability that would go along with his injuries. I'm going to say he doesn't even get drafted at this point.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Very hard to call. There seems a lot at play here for future decisions regarding playing further if he knows he will get drafted. He likely doesn't have a college diploma that is highly regarded in the real world of jobs that require a 4 year degree, if he has one at all. Colleges like Oklahoma can keep a kid in a job if they are willing to work hard, even if it's not the NFL dream job he 's hoping for.

On another note, we've seen players come to Alabama that probably could play day 1 at a lesser University with less quality players in front of them that get to play more snaps.

Leonrard Fournette is not 100 percent. He's been rode pretty hard since his arrival at LSU. Lattimore was basically used up at USCe, but there's no way to know if he'd been healthier if he played somewhere else. At least you can only speculate. Alabama used Derrick Henry as a workhorse his last year in the stretch run. I still believe had he gone to a team with less depth at RB he would have been overworked. I don't think that happened at Alabama. Eddie Lacey didn't play much until his last year full time.

It's probably a very tough decision for this player who has most likely felt and been told he was an NFL lock. He may just now realize he's just as mortal as any player and "concussion prone" is not something you want attached to you when the NFL has been a life long aspiration.

I do think he and Oklahoma could have handled this situation much better with more discourse and planning.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Could he not prepare for the draft while still getting an education? If he was concerned about further injury, why not just say after conferring with his Dr. he decided to avoid contact until he has improved and remain with the team?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.