Finebaum reporting Sumlin could be gone if he loses to LSU.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I really think that this is the problem. Fans of most P5 schools really believe that their team should contend for titles every year. Maybe not win, but be in contention. Some coaches have been able to do this, but only a few, and generally only one or two per generation. This generation has Saban and Meyer.

Every school is searching for the next generation's Nick Saban. He is out there right now, coaching somewhere. Who is going to win that lottery?
Anybody remember Frank Solich HC at Nebraska following Tom Osborne. He is another example of what B1G said. His 59-16 record got him fired because he did not win a NC. Check out Nebraska's success since Solich.

Before anybody criticizes other programs; when CNS retires Alabama will be exactly like the other program's fans we are always critical of. It is the nature of the game.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I really think that this is the problem. Fans of most P5 schools really believe that their team should contend for titles every year. Maybe not win, but be in contention. Some coaches have been able to do this, but only a few, and generally only one or two per generation. This generation has Saban and Meyer.

Every school is searching for the next generation's Nick Saban. He is out there right now, coaching somewhere. Who is going to win that lottery?
You know, we might just have a chance. Having said that, it might also be that we would have the best chance if CNS played a major role in selecting his successor. JMO.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Texas A&M is a powder keg of possibility. It certainly could be a program that could get on Bama level in a hurry with the right leadership. Sumlin is a rinse and repeat coach. I think they've given him more than enough time to consider moving in a different direction. This may become a Kirby Smart situation where schools react because of what other schools do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
IMO Sumlin is the same coach as Malzahn or Freeze or any coach that runs a QB- centric offense. No QB = no offense.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I don't seem to remember coaches getting fired for not beating CPB (or any other legendary coach back in the day).
How old are you? Ever hear of Bill Battle or Charlie McClendon? Both of those guys were fired because they couldn't beat Bama despite having career winning records. I'm sure they are more. Yes, I would agree that the coaching hot seat warms up a lot faster than it used to back in the 70's but coaches got canned way back then for not beating Bama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't seem to remember coaches getting fired for not beating CPB (or any other legendary coach back in the day).
Bill Battle, Johnny Majors, and Phil Fulmer all found the door at Tennessee when they couldn't beat Alabama.

Charley McClendon, one of the greatest coaches in LSU history and a former Bryant assistant, was eminently successful but couldn't beat Alabama and got the heave-ho after the 1979 season.

John Cooper compiled an enviable record at Ohio State, but he kept losing to Michigan; so, too, Earle Bruce.

Bill Curry was on a hot seat at Alabama because he never beat Auburn - ever.

Gary Gibbs had two bad years at OU upon an inheriting a team on probation, but he got canned because Tom Osborne kept beating him like a drum.

And btw - Texas ATM keeps hiring 'the next big thing' and coming up empty - Franchione, Sherman, and now Sumlin. Their next coach will just be biding time until he's tossed.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'm not sure why Stidham is being seen as that big a get for auburn, or why he'd be that interested in stepping into that mess. Granted my knowledge of him is sketchy since he hasn't been playing this year (which couldn't be helping his development) but from what I recall of him, he doesn't seem like the prototypical QB for Gus' scheme. On the other hand, and perhaps I'll answer my own question, he could be better than the host of QB's Gus has recruited - the why of which is a topic for another discussion.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Never understood the thought process behind a single game determining whether you hire a coach (Orgeron) or fire one (too many to list).

That decision should be based on a body of work, not any single game whether good or bad.

Saying you're going to fire a coach unless he wins this game or that one leads to continually chasing the shiny play-pretty du jour and all the instability that goes along with it.

I'm not saying Sumlin needs to be either fired or retained. I'm saying the decision shouldn't rest on one game.

Greg Schiano, Jim Mora, Jr., Ty Willingham, Dennis Franchione, Will Muschamp, and a long line of predecessors all say hi.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Never understood the thought process behind a single game determining whether you hire a coach (Orgeron) or fire one (too many to list).

That decision should be based on a body of work, not any single game whether good or bad.

Saying you're going to fire a coach unless he wins this game or that one leads to continually chasing the shiny play-pretty du jour and all the instability that goes along with it.

I'm not saying Sumlin needs to be either fired or retained. I'm saying the decision shouldn't rest on one game.

Greg Schiano, Jim Mora, Jr., Ty Willingham, Dennis Franchione, Will Muschamp, and a long line of predecessors all say hi.
What you say is true. The teams that set such ultimatums always lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they would look at the entire body of work, instead of relying on just one game, they probably wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
He also went on to say he thinks Strong will keep his job at least one more year at Texas.
That may already have been proven wrong if rumor is correct, Strong is unemployed right now after loosing to Kansas for the 1st time in forever.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That may already have been proven wrong if rumor is correct, Strong is unemployed right now after loosing to Kansas for the 1st time in forever.
I don't think Paul knew that would happen yesterday afternoon when he made the statement.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
TAMU ceased to be a 'World Beater' when Johnny Football left the program.
Sumlin will pay the price for mediocrity.

(Did I mention he hasn't beaten Alabama lately... This tends to get coaches fired)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.