It's Time to End the "War on Drugs"

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/0...orithm_to_dismiss_9362_marijuana_convictions/

"If you are the mom or dad who wants to participate in the kids' school activities and they're being told you can't go to that field trip because you have a felony conviction because you sold a nickel bag in the Tenderloin 10 years ago, that's the people that we care about," said Gascon. "Contact with the criminal justice system should not be a life sentence, so we've been working to reimagine the record clearance process," Jennifer Pahlka, Code for America founder and executive director, said in a statement."This new approach, which is both innovative and common sense, changes the scale and speed of justice and has the potential to ignite change across the country."
But with drugs it pretty much is a life sentence as you are effectively barred from many things that might keep you from returning to crime, including housing, employment, and education.

Good on CA for reversing some of the wrongs the state has done over the years.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
66% of Americans support legalizing cannabis.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/243908/two-three-americans-support-legalizing-marijuana.aspx

And 2/3 of states have legalized medicinal and/or recreational use.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/07/its-time-for-congress-to-acknowledge-the

This is no longer a fringe issue. We are reaching critical mass. I hope Congress will act soon to legalize across all 50 states.
I was very surprised the other day to see CBD oil gummies in the little gas station here in Titus. Had to look it up to even see if that was legal here. The THC levels have to be essentially non-existent (0.3 percent or less IIRC) but was still a surprising sight to behold in rural AL.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I was very surprised the other day to see CBD oil gummies in the little gas station here in Titus. Had to look it up to even see if that was legal here. The THC levels have to be essentially non-existent (0.3 percent or less IIRC) but was still a surprising sight to behold in rural AL.
Yep, 0.3% or less. Alabama's AG put out a press release on 12/12/19 stating the obvious legality with the signing of the Farm Bill. I was surprised to see him give in so fully and quickly when just the week prior they were arresting people for selling the same things.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
We may have to agree to disagree on many things, including what you did or didn't say (including inferring what happened or didn't in my college days).

We'll definitely have to disagree on what is making matters worse.

But at least you do care about "dopers" and want to help them get off the drugs.

I help people do that every day.

Because drugs do take over and ruin lives.

People get arrested and go through treatment programs numerous times and say all the right things and "play the game" to get their freedom back so they can get back to using. Only when they decide to quit do they actually do it.

There are 6 "stages" to doing so: Precontemplation, Contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance, and termination vs relapse. This applies to everything from nicotine to heroin. You can force someone into temporary abstinence, but not into quitting forever.

I never said all crime would be eliminated, but crime related to the illegality would be eliminated almost literally overnight. History supports that view.

In the last 10 years the noose has tightened on drug use and yet drug overdose deaths have soared from (I'd have to look up the exact numbers) around 10k OD deaths to 65k. I don't understand how this is considered a resounding success or is not considered an abject failure of current drug policy.

The idea of decriminalizing (with or without full legalization) drugs is based on harm reduction.

Harm reduction.

65,000 overdose deaths (198 in 1 million) and increasing every year under tighter and tighter prohibition.

Very few (even rare - about 3 in 1 million) overdose deaths comparably in a country where all drugs were decriminalized and a treatment based approach was adopted.

It's clear what policy reduces harm when one country's overdose death rate is 66 times that of the other.

66 times.

6,600% higher.

And without any significant increase in usage.

Think about it.

At least research it with an open mind.
Last numbers I saw from Colorado, since they legalized weed opioid overdoses had dropped dramatically.
As for the medical aspect, I’ll debate with anyone the benefits of using weed for a variety of maladies and chronic problems, even diseases. I can provide witnesses with medical records, prior failed doctor-ordered treatments and the success of the evil weed in curing them (I said curing).
Like my brother the scientist said (and the one interviewed on PBS as well), you can’t tell someone that something they are taking doesn’t give them positive results, when it does. It’s not anecdotal when it happens to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Last numbers I saw from Colorado, since they legalized weed opioid overdoses had dropped dramatically.
As for the medical aspect, I’ll debate with anyone the benefits of using weed for a variety of maladies and chronic problems, even diseases. I can provide witnesses with medical records, prior failed doctor-ordered treatments and the success of the evil weed in curing them (I said curing).
Like my brother the scientist said (and the one interviewed on PBS as well), you can’t tell someone that something they are taking doesn’t give them positive results, when it does. It’s not anecdotal when it happens to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OD deaths are now over 70,000 annually.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://reason.com/2019/07/26/no-on...7b9qkKAziqYIsswiyrSUCb3n3Wod3r4w69pD-i05cp1Cg

Evidence from the scene of the disastrous drug raid that killed a middle-aged couple in Houston on January 28 seems to contradict the official police version of what happened that day, according to an investigation commissioned by the couple's relatives. The no-knock raid at 7815 Harding Street, which was based on a fraudulent warrant application alleging that heroin was being sold at the house, discovered no evidence of drug dealing.
Too many people (and their dogs) have died in this failed war.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Does anyone here truly believe that gvts really want to put a stop to drugs? If they did they could do it in days. They know where the stuff is being grown, harvested, processed, etc. A couple of strategic bombing runs, "forest" fires and such and you could all but wipe it out. There is too much money and power involved in it.
I don't so much have a problem with the ganja but the harder drugs are an issue and anyone who denys that has their head in the sand.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Does anyone here truly believe that gvts really want to put a stop to drugs? If they did they could do it in days. They know where the stuff is being grown, harvested, processed, etc. A couple of strategic bombing runs, "forest" fires and such and you could all but wipe it out. There is too much money and power involved in it.
I don't so much have a problem with the ganja but the harder drugs are an issue and anyone who denys that has their head in the sand.
No doubt, but prohibition makes the situation exponentially worse on many fronts. Anyone who denies that has either not studied the issue or hasn't taken their own head out of the sand.

Prohibition has caused an impure and adulterated product more likely to kill those who use it, gangs and their violence, incarceration that destroys multiple generations, and has wasted billions upon billions of dollars. Despite all that the illegal drug market is still stronger than ever. Time to do something different.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Most of the illegal fentanyl comes from China

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Depends on what drugs you classify as "harder drugs" but yes, some drugs are very clearly an issue. I don't think anyone would deny drugs like heroine and meth are an issues.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Never in the history of mankind has there been an overdose death from cannabis, (I do know the case recently in LA and there were opiates in the system - unsure what else)
I looked up the LD50 for cannabis. Lol, this is the first thing I found.

At present it is estimated that marijuana’s LD-50 is around1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.cannabis-science.com/content/DEA%20Ruling%20Judge%20Young.pdf

How high would a man be after smoking 39,999 joints? :):eek2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.