It's Time to End the "War on Drugs"

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
No doubt, but prohibition makes the situation exponentially worse on many fronts. Anyone who denies that has either not studied the issue or hasn't taken their own head out of the sand.

Prohibition has caused an impure and adulterated product more likely to kill those who use it, gangs and their violence, incarceration that destroys multiple generations, and has wasted billions upon billions of dollars. Despite all that the illegal drug market is still stronger than ever. Time to do something different.
Of course the drug trade is stronger than ever. There are more people using and the same ol sabre rattling from politicians who have absolutely no desire to shut the drugs down due to money and power. I would even go so far to say (without hard facts to back it up) that a lot of the money collected in taxes that are supposed to go towards fighting this drug war is really diverted elsewhere. It's a scam.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Of course the drug trade is stronger than ever. There are more people using and the same ol sabre rattling from politicians who have absolutely no desire to shut the drugs down due to money and power. I would even go so far to say (without hard facts to back it up) that a lot of the money collected in taxes that are supposed to go towards fighting this drug war is really diverted elsewhere. It's a scam.
Amen to that! An expensive and deadly scam intent on depriving people of life, property, and liberty.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
A couple of TED Talks on the subject:

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Beer is actually far, far more damaging to one's health (and our communal healthcare resources) than pot is. Same with tobacco. Pot should be legalized nationwide as the reefer madness generation declines. And as more states drink from the sweet, sweet fountain of additional tax revenue, the federal government will soon follow.

As always, lobbyist money (in this case, the tobacco lobby that somehow managed to get weed classified alongside heroin) protects corporate interests over the interests and freedom of individuals. Find a way to reduce, cap, and publicly monitor public servant campaign contributions, and watch as these types of pro-corporate, anti-individual policies melt away.
While I have come to the point I wouldn’t oppose pot being legal, I don’t think it would be the financial bonanza some expect. Politicians would just find a way to waste it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
While I have come to the point I wouldn’t oppose pot being legal, I don’t think it would be the financial bonanza some expect. Politicians would just find a way to waste it.
CA has found a way to screw it up by over-taxing and over-regulating it and screwing over small businesses while making it easier for bigger corporations. Other states have done better.

Decriminalizing alone would be a boon. Politicians seem to find new ways tp waste money.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure if I understand why Biden feels this way:
Feels this way? You think that the fact that he said this means that he believes it? Come on - this is politics. Every word that he says has a single purpose - gain votes.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If I am advising Biden, I would tell him to say making it legal is “worth talking about” and that he is “exploring all options” on drug policy.

That is a bunch of political gobblitygook, but it lets him look like he might make it legal without actually saying that.

Have any other candidates (that actually have a chance at the nomination) said they would push for full legalization?

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
If I am advising Biden, I would tell him to say making it legal is “worth talking about” and that he is “exploring all options” on drug policy.

That is a bunch of political gobblitygook, but it lets him look like he might make it legal without actually saying that.

Have any other candidates (that actually have a chance at the nomination) said they would push for full legalization?
IIRC, every other democratic candidate has voiced support for just that in regards to cannabis and Pete has voiced support for decriminalization across the board, which makes sense to me.

• Thank You
Reactions: Crimson1967

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Judge Finds That the Houston Narcotics Officer Whose Lies Killed a Couple in 2019 Framed Another Suspect in 2008 Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg says it's reasonable to presume that Gerald Goines also lied in other drug cases.

The handling of Mallet's case seems to be in character for Goines, who wrote the fraudulent search warrant affidavit for the January 2019 drug raid that killed a middle-aged couple, Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas, in their home on Harding Street. To justify the Harding Street raid, which resulted in state murder charges and federal civil rights charges against Goines, the officer invented a heroin purchase by a nonexistent confidential informant. His story about Mallet's involvement in the 2008 crack deal appears to have been equally fictitious.
"Now we know [Goines] was lying and using the district attorney's office as a tool to convict people wrongfully as early as 2008," said Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, whose office is reviewing some 14,000 cases involving Goines and other members of the Houston Police Department's Narcotics Division. "Anybody who was convicted as a result of Gerald Goines' testimony, or involvement in a case that is significant or relevant, will now be given a presumption when they file their writ that Goines' testimony or evidence in their case was false."
The system is corrupt.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The system is corrupt.
Yes, it is. Countless Americans have been imprisoned for countless reasons that have nothing to do with having committed the crimes for which they were convicted. I don't trust anyone involved in our judicial system. Judges are corrupt. Police officers are corrupt. Prosecutors are corrupt. They are all human beings, and because they are in positions of power, they are more corrupt than those in the general population.

Power corrupts.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would also add that it is time to end plea bargains in America, and it is time to disallow any statement given to police before legal council is present. The idea of waving your right to council dates back to a time in which we trusted our police - back to a time in which the police were worthy of that trust. And plea bargains are filling our prisons with young people who could never be convicted on the basis of the evidence.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This one officer was responsible for the killing of at least two innocent people and this unit with the conviction of 14,000 cases. None of those convictions can be trusted. Not a single one. Wasted money and lives. All should be released (standard caveats apply) and compensated for their trouble. Their records should be wiped clean. The officer and anyone else who knew or were a part of what was happening should go to prison for a very long time.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.