It's Time to End the "War on Drugs" - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: It's Time to End the "War on Drugs"

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    I was very surprised the other day to see CBD oil gummies in the little gas station here in Titus. Had to look it up to even see if that was legal here. The THC levels have to be essentially non-existent (0.3 percent or less IIRC) but was still a surprising sight to behold in rural AL.
    Yep, 0.3% or less. Alabama's AG put out a press release on 12/12/19 stating the obvious legality with the signing of the Farm Bill. I was surprised to see him give in so fully and quickly when just the week prior they were arresting people for selling the same things.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i heard old people talk nostalgically about prices like that when i was in college.
    $10 for a four finger bag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    We may have to agree to disagree on many things, including what you did or didn't say (including inferring what happened or didn't in my college days).

We'll definitely have to disagree on what is making matters worse.

But at least you do care about "dopers" and want to help them get off the drugs.

I help people do that every day.

Because drugs do take over and ruin lives.

People get arrested and go through treatment programs numerous times and say all the right things and "play the game" to get their freedom back so they can get back to using. Only when they decide to quit do they actually do it.

There are 6 "stages" to doing so: Precontemplation, Contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance, and termination vs relapse. This applies to everything from nicotine to heroin. You can force someone into temporary abstinence, but not into quitting forever.

I never said all crime would be eliminated, but crime related to the illegality would be eliminated almost literally overnight. History supports that view.

In the last 10 years the noose has tightened on drug use and yet drug overdose deaths have soared from (I'd have to look up the exact numbers) around 10k OD deaths to 65k. I don't understand how this is considered a resounding success or is not considered an abject failure of current drug policy.

The idea of decriminalizing (with or without full legalization) drugs is based on harm reduction.

Harm reduction.

65,000 overdose deaths (198 in 1 million) and increasing every year under tighter and tighter prohibition.

Very few (even rare - about 3 in 1 million) overdose deaths comparably in a country where all drugs were decriminalized and a treatment based approach was adopted.

It's clear what policy reduces harm when one country's overdose death rate is 66 times that of the other.

66 times.

6,600% higher.

And without any significant increase in usage.

Think about it.

At least research it with an open mind.
    Last numbers I saw from Colorado, since they legalized weed opioid overdoses had dropped dramatically.
    As for the medical aspect, Iíll debate with anyone the benefits of using weed for a variety of maladies and chronic problems, even diseases. I can provide witnesses with medical records, prior failed doctor-ordered treatments and the success of the evil weed in curing them (I said curing).
    Like my brother the scientist said (and the one interviewed on PBS as well), you canít tell someone that something they are taking doesnít give them positive results, when it does. Itís not anecdotal when it happens to you.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Last numbers I saw from Colorado, since they legalized weed opioid overdoses had dropped dramatically.
    As for the medical aspect, I’ll debate with anyone the benefits of using weed for a variety of maladies and chronic problems, even diseases. I can provide witnesses with medical records, prior failed doctor-ordered treatments and the success of the evil weed in curing them (I said curing).
    Like my brother the scientist said (and the one interviewed on PBS as well), you can’t tell someone that something they are taking doesn’t give them positive results, when it does. It’s not anecdotal when it happens to you.

OD deaths are now over 70,000 annually.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

https://reason.com/2019/07/26/no-one...w69pD-i05cp1Cg

Evidence from the scene of the disastrous drug raid that killed a middle-aged couple in Houston on January 28 seems to contradict the official police version of what happened that day, according to an investigation commissioned by the couple's relatives. The no-knock raid at 7815 Harding Street, which was based on a fraudulent warrant application alleging that heroin was being sold at the house, discovered no evidence of drug dealing.
    Too many people (and their dogs) have died in this failed war.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Second Team

Does anyone here truly believe that gvts really want to put a stop to drugs? If they did they could do it in days. They know where the stuff is being grown, harvested, processed, etc. A couple of strategic bombing runs, "forest" fires and such and you could all but wipe it out. There is too much money and power involved in it.
    I don't so much have a problem with the ganja but the harder drugs are an issue and anyone who denys that has their head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInCummingGA View Post
    Does anyone here truly believe that gvts really want to put a stop to drugs? If they did they could do it in days. They know where the stuff is being grown, harvested, processed, etc. A couple of strategic bombing runs, "forest" fires and such and you could all but wipe it out. There is too much money and power involved in it.
    I don't so much have a problem with the ganja but the harder drugs are an issue and anyone who denys that has their head in the sand.
    No doubt, but prohibition makes the situation exponentially worse on many fronts. Anyone who denies that has either not studied the issue or hasn't taken their own head out of the sand.

Prohibition has caused an impure and adulterated product more likely to kill those who use it, gangs and their violence, incarceration that destroys multiple generations, and has wasted billions upon billions of dollars. Despite all that the illegal drug market is still stronger than ever. Time to do something different.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Most of the illegal fentanyl comes from China

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Most of the illegal fentanyl comes from China
    https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net...odr-graph2.jpg
    The drug category with the most deaths in america includes fentanyl. Also this must be an incomplete list because I do not see all the deaths causes by Marijuana.

BamaNation All-American

Depends on what drugs you classify as "harder drugs" but yes, some drugs are very clearly an issue. I don't think anyone would deny drugs like heroine and meth are an issues.

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net...odr-graph2.jpg
    The drug category with the most deaths in america includes fentanyl. Also this must be an incomplete list because I do not see all the deaths causes by Marijuana.
    Yeah. Keep looking...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Let me know when you find it!
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!