It's Time to End the "War on Drugs"

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Some laws are made to keep people from getting hurt. Speed limits for example. You're given a speeding ticket. Not because there was a victim but because society realizes that speed kills.

A guy is driving crazy, passing school buses while they are loading kids, he has a mason jar full of weed, and has a five year old child in the front passenger seat with no restraint. He didn't hurt anyone so he shouldn't be arrested or given citations?

A lady is driving on the wrong side of a 4 lane hwy going the wrong way. Highly intoxicated. Didn't kill anyone, no victim. Don't arrest or cite? Just let her go?

I don't want to come across as attacking anyone. I just have seen, first hand, the effects of drug use on communities. I do think that a guy who has a small amount of weed should be given a citation instead of arrested. But someone who has a large amount should be arrested.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Some laws are made to keep people from getting hurt. Speed limits for example. You're given a speeding ticket. Not because there was a victim but because society realizes that speed kills.

A guy is driving crazy, passing school buses while they are loading kids, he has a mason jar full of weed, and has a five year old child in the front passenger seat with no restraint. He didn't hurt anyone so he shouldn't be arrested or given citations?

A lady is driving on the wrong side of a 4 lane hwy going the wrong way. Highly intoxicated. Didn't kill anyone, no victim. Don't arrest or cite? Just let her go?

I don't want to come across as attacking anyone. I just have seen, first hand, the effects of drug use on communities. I do think that a guy who has a small amount of weed should be given a citation instead of arrested. But someone who has a large amount should be arrested.
i would think that a significant number of folks possessing large amounts are doing so because it is illegal.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
i would think that a significant number of folks possessing large amounts are doing so because it is illegal.
Dopers are only doing a lot of drugs because they are illegal? Not because they are very addictive? Life destroying even? Wouldn't you think that if it was legal they would buy more?

Anyone know what drug was the highest to be found in dwi related accidents in Alabama (not Portugal , England, or Colorado)? Marijuana. Not Meth, nor cocaine, or heroine. Straight from the Dept of Alabama Forensic Science. Blood tested results.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Dopers are only doing a lot of drugs because they are illegal? Not because they are very addictive? Life destroying even? Wouldn't you think that if it was legal they would buy more?
There are three reasons I can think of to buy something in large quantities.

One, I genuinely use a lot of it.
Two, to resell.
Three, an uncertain supply chain.

By saying Dopers are only doing a lot of drugs because they are illegal? You seem to assume that everyone doing so is in the first category.

The second category is already highly illegal, and would be regulated heavily even if made legal. Furthermore, the amount being held is used as prima facie evidence of intent to distribute, which in the case of a legal product, who cares?

The third category is also related to the illegality of it. If it were legal, I would be able to buy in small amounts routinely without worrying. Since it is illegal, I have to worry about whether my dealer is going to get busted, creating a dry spell for the area, or if I don't have a reliable supply, larger amounts minimize the frequency with which I have to deal in risky behavior with unknown agents, many of whom are the unsavory types, SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF THE ILLEGALITY.

Anyone know what drug was the highest to be found in dwi related accidents in Alabama (not Portugal , England, or Colorado)? Marijuana. Not Meth, nor cocaine, or heroine. Straight from the Dept of Alabama Forensic Science. Blood tested results.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that alcohol was excluded from this statistic.

Honestly, this is really good news that marijuana has higher prevalence than all those other drugs, because it's way less harmful than they are by any measure you can think of. SOMETHING has to be most common, why should that not be pot?

I would be MORE alarmed if meth was more common than pot, and SHOCKED if anything came close to alcohol.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Don't expect to get too far with the Reefer Madness stuff around here.

At worst marijuana should be held to the same standard as alcohol.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

dopers?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Dude... Because outlawing murder has gone swimmingly well. You got to be kidding me. First of all quit reading articles that are pushing their own agenda and quit thinking back to your college days. If you want to see what drug use has done to this country go work with a local police dept. Go work as a reserve or do ride alongs as a citizen. Don't ride once and think you have everything figured out, ride for a year or two. Make drugs legal. Got to be the most craziest thing I've heard on here. Because dopers don't do stupid stuff or kill people lol
Do you always spend this much time assuming things about people?

I have never in my life used MJ of any variety, though I did consider it and then discarded the idea due to concerns over being randomly tested at exactly the wrong time.

Why would I need to go to the police department? I worked in the emergency department at 2 hospitals. Taken care of people who OD'd on a variety of drugs and those who were shot, beaten, stabbed, killed, and so forth related to the illegal drug trade.

When you can't do business in the open legally you can't settle disputes in court like a decent human being. How to solve disputes then? Oh, beat, stab, shoot, and kill people.

I have family members that do drugs. They did stupid things before drugs, but yeah, the drugs sure didn't help matters. Not that I claimed they did.
In your opinion maybe so. It may be hard to believe but people don't want dope to be legal. The people that it affects, that have had family members murdered, property stolen, etc don't care that someone wrote an article stating that dope should be legal. Of all the break ins and burglary that happens in our community 90% is drug related. Violent crimes, drug related. Has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the fact that dope isn't legal. He threw a blanket statement out there I threw another one. He implied why have laws if people ignore or they aren't stopping the opiod crisis. I took it a step further and asked why have laws for murder if people ignore or they arent stopping murder. Because as a functional society you have to have laws. Just because people ignore them or don't stop doesn't mean you do away with the law. If we used that theory we would do away with all laws.
For those that don't know people are given multiple breaks in court. Drug and dui's offenders are given court ordered referral programs to help them get clean and sober. Multiple chances. Sentenced to drug and alcohol rehab. Not to say that all are, those are the minor offense related cases.

Who in here has actually rode with a police dept?
Some people do want it to be legal and that number is growing because everyone - including you - can see what an abject failure the war on drugs has been.

You actually think that violent drug related crimes have nothing to do with drugs being illegal? My friend, please open your eyes. The illegality of it is exactly what causes the violence. Disputes cannot be settled lawfully in an illegal trade so violence is the only way to do that.

For example, what street gangs are currently killing each other over the distribution of alcohol? None. Because it is legal. But when it was illegal...Ever heard of Al Capone and all the other gangsters running alcohol in the era? If you are not more than passingly familiar with the issues that occurred then then please familiarize yourself. The gangs lost their power when alcohol was legal again and those crimes declined rapidly and greatly. The same would happen in the drug trade.

Again, I have worked emergency. I see many of the things they have seen. Not all, but then I've dealt with a lot of aftermath as well. I also have family who abuse drugs. IOW, I don't need to ride along.

Many of us are fine with doing away with any and all laws that penalize people for 'crimes' where there is no victim. Murders involved victims, some dude smoking a doobie does not.

We need a government that protects our liberties, not one that arbitrarily decides where our liberties exist and where they do not.
Why are victimless crimes crimes to begin with? Because someone wants to save someone else from themselves. Sorry, if you've ever worked with people who are actually addicted you know you can't help someone until they want to help themself and by driving the trade underground you are ensuring that there is no consistency in the quality of drugs on the market.

Let me say this:

People die from drugs BECAUSE they are illegal, NOT IN SPITE of them being illegal.

Were they legal then people could better assure the quality and purity of what they buy.

Because people die when there is a sudden change in potency or when other drugs like fentanyl are mixed in without the user's knowledge or in an amount not known to the user.

These people for the most part aren't looking to try to kill themselves. But we make it so that they have no other choice at times - at least any realistic choice. And reality is they aren't going to stop until they are ready.

And speed can kill a person besides the speeding driver. That is key.

No relation to the discussion at all, but kids can't consent to being put in danger so...

Driving under intoxicated puts others at risk.
I also have seen the effects of drugs.

Worse, I have seen the effects of making them illegal. Drug related violence, all the overdose deaths, the encroachments on civil liberties, all the people killed from innocent bystanders to cops to young kids too stupid to realize what they were doing wasn't worth dying over.

It's not JUST drugs that kill people.

The ILLEGALITY of drugs kills every bit as much.

Make them legal and people will buy them in the open. They will be able to go around the corner if the first guy is selling bad dope. Any disputes can be settled in court instead of with a gun. Loved one dies? Sue the seller and put him out of business. Good luck doing that now.

Dude, I get it. I really do.

The first time I heard someone talk about legalization I thought the very same things as you. Every last thing. Right down to assuming the person with that opinion just didn't want to have to risk arrest to get their high.

I recalled all the indoctrination that was fostered on/in me in my formative years. Just say NO! Drugs are bad. Drugs kill. Don't be a dope. So on and so forth.

But my mom recently agreed with me on this issue and she is a Total T-Totaler. She thinks drinking one drink of alcohol will send you straight to hell - do not pass go do not collect the grace of Jesus.

Now if my 76yo mother can reconsider her many years of believing otherwise, i expect other people can also.

Want to reduce drug overdose deaths?

Legalize drugs.

Want to reduce drug related violence?

Legalize drugs.

Want to reduce police deaths related to drugs?

Legalize drugs.

Want to reduce conflicts between police and minorities?

Legalize drugs. (not because stereotyping minorities but because police patrol more in minority neighborhoods for drugs even though whites use drugs at similar rates).

Want to reduce all the billions spent on prisons for people who were only ever put there because of a nonviolent victimless "crime" and have sentences longer than real and actuall murderers and rapists?

Legalize drugs.

Want to increase tax revenues and decrease spending at the same time?

Yup. Legalize drugs and use that money for treatment programs instead.

Want to stop the spread of HIV and Hepatitis C (and B)?

You guessed it. Legalize drugs.

How many people with those diseases have you seen and treated? I've seen and treated quite a few. Darn shame. Lot's of them good people. I used to think they were just sorry worthless druggies and probably said so on here (thereby disqualifying me from federal judgeships). But most are good people. Most want to stop. Most know they are hurting themselves and sometimes others directly or indirectly. They don't deserve to die. But there they go and it's not just them killing themselves. We are helping kill them.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
There are three reasons I can think of to buy something in large quantities.

One, I genuinely use a lot of it.
Two, to resell.
Three, an uncertain supply chain.

By saying Dopers are only doing a lot of drugs because they are illegal? You seem to assume that everyone doing so is in the first category.

The second category is already highly illegal, and would be regulated heavily even if made legal. Furthermore, the amount being held is used as prima facie evidence of intent to distribute, which in the case of a legal product, who cares?

The third category is also related to the illegality of it. If it were legal, I would be able to buy in small amounts routinely without worrying. Since it is illegal, I have to worry about whether my dealer is going to get busted, creating a dry spell for the area, or if I don't have a reliable supply, larger amounts minimize the frequency with which I have to deal in risky behavior with unknown agents, many of whom are the unsavory types, SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF THE ILLEGALITY.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that alcohol was excluded from this statistic.

Honestly, this is really good news that marijuana has higher prevalence than all those other drugs, because it's way less harmful than they are by any measure you can think of. SOMETHING has to be most common, why should that not be pot?

I would be MORE alarmed if meth was more common than pot, and SHOCKED if anything came close to alcohol.
or nicotine

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Not going into a long drawn out reply because we are just going in circles and probably will just have to agree to disagree. However I will point some things out that are incorrect.
I never said anyone on here used drugs of any kind. Didn't assume anything. Crimsonaudio stated that there are a lot of people that think laws targeting victimless crimes should done away with (maybe debate enough for another thread) stating the murder has a victim, smoking a doobie doesn't. I posted multiple examples (victimless) including examples of test results for dwi which include accidents from people smoking doobies (victims) . For reasons why there are laws even when there are no victims. I didn't assume that people use a lot of drugs(not buy) because of supply and demand. I know people use a lot of drugs because they are addictive. It was also stated that it was good news that marijuana was the leading drug in blood test results of dwi accidents instead of other drugs. Not sure that makes a good point and pretty sure its not good news. I believe people should ride with police to give them another view point. If more people did maybe we could come up with answers. As far as the war on drugs being a failure I dont believe it is or has been. Its the progressive acceptance of drugs and the drug culture that is the failure. And I don't think people that do drugs are bad people. I work with/interact with drug users of every kind every day. Have performed CPR on people I cared about that lost their lives to drug and alcohol addiction. I've fought and continue to fight and pray for their lives. I grew up with friends and family that had addiction. Seen it from every angle. I know as it was said that they won't change until they are ready to change. Also know putting people in jail has saved some of their lives. Someone stated on here that people don't need a criminal record they need help. People that are arrested for drug use including alcohol are given multiple chances and opportunities for treatment.
There are things that need fixed on so many levels before resorting to putting more drugs on the street. Doctors prescribing too much, society thinking they need drugs for every little ailment. I wouldn't put gas on a fire unless I wanted a bigger fire and that is what drugs are. An out of control fire. As far as stopping crime. That is a false narrative. A point was attempted that once alcohol prohibition was discontinued the gang wars etc stopped . But what other crimes rose? If the answer to eliminating crime was to make drugs legal then it would have worked when alcohol was made legal. Is alcohol a similar drug to marijuana? Or is it between marijuana and Meth? If it is a stronger drug than marijuana how come a stronger drug didn't stop all the violence as it was suggested? Are there still not armed robberies of liquor stores? People getting drunk and killing other people in all sorts of ways and for all sorts of reasons? This can't be happening because its legal and on every corner.
Couple more things before I go. First I'd like to apologize for making this response so long when I said I wouldn't :) Second I mentioned having friends who did drugs. Which started with marijuana use and proceeded to other things. I drank, they smoked weed and I drank. Couple reasons why I didn't smoke marijuana , I'm allergic to weed( makes me nauseous and my skin break out when I touch it) and because I felt why in the heck would I spend 20 bucks on a qtr bag when I could pay the same or less on a fifth of whiskey put it in my trunk and not get in trouble if I got pulled over. Wasn't worth the risk. Might be why some people buy small amounts of drugs, because of the negative reinforcement. Anyway great debate guys! Roll Tide!

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not going into a long drawn out reply because we are just going in circles and probably will just have to agree to disagree. However I will point some things out that are incorrect.
I never said anyone on here used drugs of any kind. Didn't assume anything. Crimsonaudio stated that there are a lot of people that think laws targeting victimless crimes should done away with (maybe debate enough for another thread) stating the murder has a victim, smoking a doobie doesn't. I posted multiple examples (victimless) including examples of test results for dwi which include accidents from people smoking doobies (victims) . For reasons why there are laws even when there are no victims. I didn't assume that people use a lot of drugs(not buy) because of supply and demand. I know people use a lot of drugs because they are addictive. It was also stated that it was good news that marijuana was the leading drug in blood test results of dwi accidents instead of other drugs. Not sure that makes a good point and pretty sure its not good news. I believe people should ride with police to give them another view point. If more people did maybe we could come up with answers. As far as the war on drugs being a failure I dont believe it is or has been. Its the progressive acceptance of drugs and the drug culture that is the failure. And I don't think people that do drugs are bad people. I work with/interact with drug users of every kind every day. Have performed CPR on people I cared about that lost their lives to drug and alcohol addiction. I've fought and continue to fight and pray for their lives. I grew up with friends and family that had addiction. Seen it from every angle. I know as it was said that they won't change until they are ready to change. Also know putting people in jail has saved some of their lives. Someone stated on here that people don't need a criminal record they need help. People that are arrested for drug use including alcohol are given multiple chances and opportunities for treatment.
There are things that need fixed on so many levels before resorting to putting more drugs on the street. Doctors prescribing too much, society thinking they need drugs for every little ailment. I wouldn't put gas on a fire unless I wanted a bigger fire and that is what drugs are. An out of control fire. As far as stopping crime. That is a false narrative. A point was attempted that once alcohol prohibition was discontinued the gang wars etc stopped . But what other crimes rose? If the answer to eliminating crime was to make drugs legal then it would have worked when alcohol was made legal. Is alcohol a similar drug to marijuana? Or is it between marijuana and Meth? If it is a stronger drug than marijuana how come a stronger drug didn't stop all the violence as it was suggested? Are there still not armed robberies of liquor stores? People getting drunk and killing other people in all sorts of ways and for all sorts of reasons? This can't be happening because its legal and on every corner.
Couple more things before I go. First I'd like to apologize for making this response so long when I said I wouldn't :) Second I mentioned having friends who did drugs. Which started with marijuana use and proceeded to other things. I drank, they smoked weed and I drank. Couple reasons why I didn't smoke marijuana , I'm allergic to weed( makes me nauseous and my skin break out when I touch it) and because I felt why in the heck would I spend 20 bucks on a qtr bag when I could pay the same or less on a fifth of whiskey put it in my trunk and not get in trouble if I got pulled over. Wasn't worth the risk. Might be why some people buy small amounts of drugs, because of the negative reinforcement. Anyway great debate guys! Roll Tide!
i heard old people talk nostalgically about prices like that when i was in college.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
We may have to agree to disagree on many things, including what you did or didn't say (including inferring what happened or didn't in my college days).

We'll definitely have to disagree on what is making matters worse.

But at least you do care about "dopers" and want to help them get off the drugs.

I help people do that every day.

Because drugs do take over and ruin lives.

People get arrested and go through treatment programs numerous times and say all the right things and "play the game" to get their freedom back so they can get back to using. Only when they decide to quit do they actually do it.

There are 6 "stages" to doing so: Precontemplation, Contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance, and termination vs relapse. This applies to everything from nicotine to heroin. You can force someone into temporary abstinence, but not into quitting forever.

I never said all crime would be eliminated, but crime related to the illegality would be eliminated almost literally overnight. History supports that view.

In the last 10 years the noose has tightened on drug use and yet drug overdose deaths have soared from (I'd have to look up the exact numbers) around 10k OD deaths to 65k. I don't understand how this is considered a resounding success or is not considered an abject failure of current drug policy.

The idea of decriminalizing (with or without full legalization) drugs is based on harm reduction.

Harm reduction.

65,000 overdose deaths (198 in 1 million) and increasing every year under tighter and tighter prohibition.

Very few (even rare - about 3 in 1 million) overdose deaths comparably in a country where all drugs were decriminalized and a treatment based approach was adopted.

It's clear what policy reduces harm when one country's overdose death rate is 66 times that of the other.

66 times.

6,600% higher.

And without any significant increase in usage.

Think about it.

At least research it with an open mind.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Little blurb on a new Showtime show.

https://reason.com/archives/2018/02/02/showtime-documentary-highlights-drug-war#comment

Showtime Documentary Highlights Drug War’s Futility

The Trade offers access to cartels, addicts, and cops alike.

In all the billions of words and electronic images expended in telling the story of the war on drugs, perhaps nothing sums it up quite so concisely as a scene in Showtime's new documentary series The Trade. As a bedraggled mother is dragged off following her arrest on heroin charges, a cop kneels to speak to her crying children. "It's okay," he comforts them. "We're the good guys." After more than a century of this senseless, futile war, you still can't identify the players without a scorecard.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think we are a couple more election cycles away from that passing.
it will be interesting to see how long this takes now that so many states have legalized it in some form or another. gay marriage moved really quickly once it got a little momentum.

these are two things i never thought i would live to see.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
it will be interesting to see how long this takes now that so many states have legalized it in some form or another. gay marriage moved really quickly once it got a little momentum.

these are two things i never thought i would live to see.
same but we are super close. Canada is now fully legal and more than half the US, the South will be last as always but I expect it now within a few years

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
SMH.

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/18/houston-narc-who-lied-to-justify-a-deadl#comment

The day after the January 28 drug raid that killed a middle-aged couple and injured five undercover narcotics officers, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo lavished praise on Gerald Goines, the 34-year veteran who had been shot in the neck after breaching the door and entering the house to assist his wounded colleagues. "He's a big teddy bear," Acevedo said. "He's a big African-American, a strong ox, tough as nails, and the only thing bigger than his body, in terms of his stature, is his courage. I think God had to give him that big body to be able to contain his courage, because the man's got some tremendous courage."
Acevedo struck a different note on Friday, when he described Goines as a liar who had broken the law and embarrassed the department by inventing the heroin purchase that was the pretext for the raid, during which police killed Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas in their home at 7815 Harding Street. But as Keri Blakinger and St. John Barned-Smith reported on Friday night in the Houston Chronicle, there were warning signs that Goines was not a paragon of police professionalism long before he invented a confidential informant and a controlled buy to justify the no-knock search that put him in the hospital but did not discover any evidence of drug dealing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.