Question: The Electoral College

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't disagree, particularly in any swing state where it matters, but there's just no excuse for someone in the party - especially in those states. Obviously, I haven't decided whom to vote for yet and obviously it won't matter one iota here. Additionally, unless the democrats nominate Paul Pot I'll likely recommend everyone vote for that person where it matters. If they do nominate Paul Pot I could be swayed by his dead state limiting his ability to commit mass murder and therefore being a possibly better choice than the current White House resident.
is that manny the hippy's new moniker?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I've read a few articles like this one that make it sound pretty (constitutionally) controversial. Given the current court makeup, I think I know how they would rule.
My problem is this: if you want it to be constitutional then you can make an argument for that. If you want it to be unconstitutional you can make an argument for that. However it can only be one or the other. Why can we not find an objective person to look at the facts and make an unbiased decision?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
More of a question than a comment... It appears from personal experience that several states that do not have an income tax replace it with a Wealth Tax including Tennessee and Florida. I have not studied the matter but it would seem that a tax could be designed in such a way to avoid a Supreme Court ruling that would effectively throw out all wealth taxes.
States can do all kinds of things that the federal government is prohibited from doing.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My problem is this: if you want it to be constitutional then you can make an argument for that. If you want it to be unconstitutional you can make an argument for that. However it can only be one or the other. Why can we not find an objective person to look at the facts and make an unbiased decision?
The problem with judging the constitutionality of most issues boils down to this: Are you judging based on the Constitution as adopted or the Constitution as one side or another wishes it to be?
As adopted, if you want to judge the constitutionality of an act by looking at Article I, Section 8. If it is listed there, then it is constitutional. If not, it is not constitutional. On the other hand, since about 1790, there have been those who judge the constitutionality of an act by "I want X to be constitutional, therefore it is," or "if you torture the language enough, you can see a penumbra that covers Y," or "if I had been in Philadelphia, I would have included Z, therefore Z is constitutional."
The latter method has held sway for a long time, but the former still asserts itself from time to time.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The problem with judging the constitutionality of most issues boils down to this: Are you judging based on the Constitution as adopted or the Constitution as one side or another wishes it to be?
As adopted, if you want to judge the constitutionality of an act by looking at Article I, Section 8. If it is listed there, then it is constitutional. If not, it is not constitutional. On the other hand, since about 1790, there have been those who judge the constitutionality of an act by "I want X to be constitutional, therefore it is," or "if you torture the language enough, you can see a penumbra that covers Y," or "if I had been in Philadelphia, I would have included Z, therefore Z is constitutional."
The latter method has held sway for a long time, but the former still asserts itself from time to time.
Stated more accurately: written language is an imperfect medium to convey precise meaning.

There will always be unforeseen grey areas that require interpretation. Hence my link showing two framers of the Constitution on opposite sides of a Supreme Court case arguing the limits of federal taxation authority under the Constitution that they both helped create.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Stated more accurately: written language is an imperfect medium to convey precise meaning.

There will always be unforeseen grey areas that require interpretation. Hence my link showing two framers of the Constitution on opposite sides of a Supreme Court case arguing the limits of federal taxation authority under the Constitution that they both helped create.
I appreciate that.
The Framers were the proposers only. The ratifiers were, in fact, the real Founders. Madison put it best:
Madison said:
"[T]he legitimate meaning of the Instrument [the Constitution] must be derived from the text itself; or if a key is to be sought elsewhere, it must be, not in the opinions or intentions of the body which planned and proposed the Constitution, but in the sense attached to it by the people in their respective State Conventions, where it received all the authority which it possesses.” Letter from James Madison to John G. Jackson (Dec. 27, 1821), in Letters and Other Writings of James Madison, (New York: R. Worthington, 1884), 3:228.
The Founders in the state conventions were divided into two camps: (1) those who opposed ratification because they believed that the federal government would exercise powers not specifically enumerated in the Constitution and (2) those who supported ratification because the federal government would never be able to exercise any powers but those expressly enumerated in the Constitution.
There were none, not one, who said, "I believe we should ratify this Constitution because the federal government will be able to loosely interpret its own powers."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And Hamilton arguing in favor of an excise tax (but describing it as not a direct tax) sidesteps the issue. Hamilton in Philadelphia argued for federal selection of state governors and a federal negative on state laws (and did not get a second). When he did not get his way, he described the constitution as adopted as a "frail and worthless fabric." If there was money to be made by Hamilton or his friends, Hamilton would argue that the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.

On the issue of a wealth tax, I would place it in the category of "good idea" (maybe) but not in the category of "constitutional idea." Not every good idea is constitutional and not every constitutional idea is a good idea. Plus, I think, even if adopted, it would not raise the tax revenue hoped for, because you would give a powerful incentive to the super wealthy to move their wealth out of the United States.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Supremes discuss "faithless electors."

Counsel conceded this was “potentially true” and pivoted back to Kavanaugh’s usual preoccupations—the Constitution and its framers. States were never given the power to bind electoral college voters. “The Constitution has not been amended,” he concluded.
Do law school student study the ratification debates?
The Constitution does not "delegate" any power to the states. The states have powers delegated from the people of said state. The Constitution does restrict some powers from the states, by virtue of the people of that state ratifying the Constitution.
For the states to not have the power to punish faithless electors, it would have to be listed in the limitations in Art. I, Section 10.

Anyway, a state may impose any punishment on a faithless elector it wishes to.

Reactions: Bamaro and B1GTide

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Were the people intended to vote for the electors or did it just happen? Did the founders trust the common man (certainly not woman) to make such a decision? I think SC didn’t let the people vote for electors until the 1860s.

Reactions: seebell

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Were the people intended to vote for the electors or did it just happen? Did the founders trust the common man (certainly not woman) to make such a decision? I think SC didn’t let the people vote for electors until the 1860s.
The people do not really vote for the electors. They vote for the candidate of their choice, but the electors are chosen ahead of time by the parties and assigned to the candidates. You may see them listed on the ballot in some states, but there really is not a choice. If you vote GOP, you get the GOP electors already assigned. There is no list of electors to choose from. At least, not in any of the states I have voted from.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Where the EC came from was from a proposal by Madison (I believe) that members of Congress elect the president. This ran afoul of the idea of Montesquieu on the separation of powers between executive, legislative, and judicial, so the members of the Philadelphia convention said that and equal number men not members of Congress would come to gather as an Electoral College to select the president and the vice president.
How the electors were chosen was entirely up to the several states, as was the question of whether they were bound by instructions from that state or not. Some states held statewide elections to select electors. In many, the state legislature picked the state's electors. In fact, no one in South Carolina ever voted for president prior to 1876. The state legislature always selected South Carolina's electors.
Whether they were bound by instructions or not, I offer the results of the electoral college of 1788: eleven candidates got votes. Six of eleven states held an election of the population. In Virginia, Washington got all 69 EC votes of the Old Dominion. All the other states selected their electors by state legislature. Three states (New York, Massachusetts, and Georgia) split their electoral college votes.

North Carolina and Rhode Island did not cast votes in the Electoral College at all because they were not in the Union in 1788. They had, in effect, seceded.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The people do not really vote for the electors. They vote for the candidate of their choice, but the electors are chosen ahead of time by the parties and assigned to the candidates. You may see them listed on the ballot in some states, but there really is not a choice. If you vote GOP, you get the GOP electors already assigned. There is no list of electors to choose from. At least, not in any of the states I have voted from.
That is true as it stands today.
The counsel for the plaintiffs before the Supreme Court made the astounding argument the Constitution does not delegate to the states the power to punish faithless electors. The Constitution for the United States does not delegate any powers to the states. Where it mentions state powers at all, it is only to restrict them from exercising certain specified powers. (e.g. "No State shall ... grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal.") but the restrictions stand not because the federal government tells states it cannot exercise a certain power, but because the people of the United States, in ratifying the constitution and amendments, said so.
The SCOTUS' proper response to this case is to tell the plaintiffs (seeking overthrow of states' "faithless electors" punishments) to get lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I have never understood why geography, rock and trees should be taken into account when electing a president.

The 1st time a Democrat gets elected without a plurality, you will see all the EC boosters change their tune.

But Republicans do that all the time. As in their vow to seat a SC justice during an election year. Remember, "let the people decide"?

Reactions: Bamaro and seebell

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have never understood why geography, rock and trees should be taken into account when electing a president.
Rocks and trees aren't. Geography only is to the extent it limits the area where the state election is held.

The 1st time a Democrat gets elected without a plurality, you will see all the EC boosters change their tune.
Yeah, there will only be hypocrisy in one direction. The Democrat who won such would then have the courage of his/her convictions and say, "I've always believed in the popular vote so congratulations to (the opponent) on winning."

I'm still told to this day by people who scream about the popular vote that the 2004 election was close, based on the notion that Kerry would have been President if he had won the electoral votes from Ohio. Let's not pretend political hypocrisy is the sole domain of the GOP.

But Republicans do that all the time. As in their vow to seat a SC justice during an election year. Remember, "let the people decide"?
You think it would have been better if McConnell would have just held a vote and the GOP voted Garland down?

Reactions: Jay Hughes

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.