Question: The Electoral College - Page 3
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: The Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Florida is an equally liberal and conservative state, while California is a progressive dominant, and New York is a mainstream liberal dominat. Neither will ever elect even a mainstream conservative unless they have a candidate from their state. Florida is a perfect experiment in which way the country is leaning.

Unless we go to a parliamentary type of election where we choose everything at once, then there is no real reason to get rid of the EC because our system of government is designed for gridlock.
    The fact that you think FL politics are more significant than CA politics does not address my point. A handful of states render the rest irrelevant, and I think that's a problem. As for a parliamentary system, we're basically already there in national politics. There was no ticket splitting in any state this year.

New York, Illinois, and California outnumber the biggest conservative state by 43 million people. That's more or less a 4th of the population. So you are basically trading politically contested states that favor a 2 party system to who can win the most populated states which strongly favors liberal ideology. So yes those states control the election in your scenario.
    Why do you assume that everyone in CA and NY votes democratic?

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Award one elector for each congressional district. And give the other two from each state to who wins the vote in the state

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    The fact that you think FL politics are more significant than CA politics does not address my point. A handful of states render the rest irrelevant, and I think that's a problem. As for a parliamentary system, we're basically already there in national politics. There was no ticket splitting in any state this year.

If we get rid of the electoral college people should hope they do. Because right now most of the republicans stay home in CA, NY, IL

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    If we get rid of the electoral college people should hope they do. Because right now most of the republicans stay home in CA, NY, IL
    As do many Dems in red states.

As do many Dems in red states.
    I bet there are more republicans in California than democrats in Utah, ND, SD, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Alaska, Arkansas, and West Virginia combined....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

You have used "this year" twice. This year doesn't address the common situation.

Even with this year results we are nowhere near a parliamentary government due to the lack of coalitions within government, and the fact we don't have a "real" third party that effectively decides power. Trump may have ran as a republican but that doesn't make him one of the guys. The likelihood of him totally undoing hundreds of years of policy within a 4 year period are highly unlikely even with both houses controlled by the republicans.

To the Florida part... Let's say Alabama traded populations with California but kept their strong conservative and evangelical political ideologies. Would you want them controlling the political agenda since the majority of the population is opposed to gay rights and strongly in favor of religious freedoms, or would you be saying Florida and Ohio are closely contested political states so we should make a system where extreme conservativism and liberalism isn't always in controlled due to high populations in states with dominat political ideologies.

Suspended

I don't know about significance, but obviously FL is more representative of America than California given FL's greater political diversity.

To the Florida part... Let's say Alabama traded populations with California but kept their strong conservative and evangelical political ideologies. Would you want them controlling the political agenda since the majority of the population is opposed to gay rights and strongly in favor of religious freedoms, or would you be saying Florida and Ohio are closely contested political states so we should make a system where extreme conservativism and liberalism isn't always in controlled due to high populations in states with dominat political ideologies.
    This is a strange hypothetical that still assumes states, in a popular vote system, would move as blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    I don't know about significance, but obviously FL is more representative of America than California given FL's greater political diversity.
    I imagine a popular vote would be even more representative of America.

Popular vote doesn't bother me. I think Dems would not like the outcome at all

Suspended

I imagine a popular vote would be even more representative of America.
    Not necessarily in political thought, which was my point to begin with. I assumed you would prefer diversity of thought.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

This is a strange hypothetical that still assumes states, in a popular vote system, would move as blocks.
    They would, but they would be far more powerful. You can say " well there would be higher republican turnouts in CA, IL, and NY". That maybe but there is always that democrat that stays at home because he/she knows the results. More or less 1/4 of the state of California voted for democrat or republican. Of that near 1/4, 7.5 votes democrat and 4 mil for republican. Even if we say 3/4 of the California will vote in a popular vote controlled election, I don't see those numbers getting close enough to say California doesn't hold considerably more power than the rest of the states.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

If the election had gone the other direction and Hillary won the EC and Trump won the popular vote this thread would not exist.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll