Question: The Electoral College

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Oh no! The Democrats lost again! We need to eliminate the Electoral College because it didn't favor us this year!

Please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Don't ya'll remember the RNC talking about proportional electoral votes after Obama won for the second time? A few states do that now.

Always remember one man's BS is another man's fertilizer!:)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Don't ya'll remember the RNC talking about proportional electoral votes after Obama won for the second time? A few states do that now.

Always remember one man's BS is another man's fertilizer!:)
While I've mentioned it multiple times since the election as an option for the disgruntled Dems, I'm not a proponent of the proportional allocation of electors or any other scheme in which the winner takes less than all of the electors.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Of course you should all know that I am not looking at this from a left/right or blue/red or demo/rep standpoint. I refuse to vote for either. The electoral college only partially balances the scales between big and small states. It forces candidates to consider a broader part of America than they otherwise would. It ensures diversity. When did "liberals" stop liking diversity?

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
AND Al,Ga, Ms, La, NC, SC, Tn, Ky, and so on---The large Majority of the states voted Trump, ergo we have a new president elected the way our Constitution intended. To change the constitution it must be voted on by those same states. Reckon we know how that vote is going to go.

BamaNation All-American
CharminTide's Avatar Join Date
Oct 2005
Post Thanks / Like
Re: The Electoral College
Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaloo View Post
We are the United STATES of America and I don't want 3 or 4 states dictating what the other 46 or 47 are going to have to live with.
Doesn't that already happen, though? This year, those states were called FL, PA, MI, and WI

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Bull crap. No one challenged it before the election when the possibility was more likely to happen the other way.
Wrong. I am the thread starter so I know why it was started. I posted here a few times during the campaign that I hoped Trump won the popular vote and Clinton won the EC so that the dems and reps maybe could now work together to eliminate it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Bamaro,

there is really no way of knowing if you are telling the truth or not. We just have to take your word for it, unless in 4 years we get the opposite and President Trump (really hard to type that) wins the popular vote but loses the EC to whatever idiot the democrats run against him. If you state your displeasure then and only then will I believe you. My guess is you will tell all the Trump supporters to shut-up and "we won".

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Bamaro,

there is really no way of knowing if you are telling the truth or not. We just have to take your word for it, unless in 4 years we get the opposite and President Trump (really hard to type that) wins the popular vote but loses the EC to whatever idiot the democrats run against him. If you state your displeasure then and only then will I believe you. My guess is you will tell all the Trump supporters to shut-up and "we won".
I already said I posted here a couple of times about it before the election. Even mentioned that I did a report on it (Tilden/Hayes) in HS before many here were even born. So, yes, its the truth.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I already said I posted here a couple of times about it before the election. Even mentioned that I did a report on it (Tilden/Hayes) in HS before many here were even born. So, yes, its the truth.
Tilden/Hayes had more to do with Democrats agreeing to "lose" states they won in exchange for ending military occupation of Louisiana and South Carolina. The Tilden/Hayes corrupt bargain was more about thwarting the EC than the perceived flaws in the EC.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Tilden/Hayes had more to do with Democrats agreeing to "lose" states they won in exchange for ending military occupation of Louisiana and South Carolina. The Tilden/Hayes corrupt bargain was more about thwarting the EC than the perceived flaws in the EC.
but he wrote a paper this one time before most of us were born so that makes him an expert apparently

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
but he wrote a paper this one time before most of us were born so that makes him an expert apparently
No but at least I didn't question your truthfulness like you did mine. You seem to have a comprehension problem. I made that statement to show that my opinion wasn't something new or based on recent results. :rolleyes:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not only do I remember that, but I remember them stealing that particular idea from (wait for it) the Democrats, who proffered it in 2004.

I remember Hillary Clinton calling for the abolition of the EC in 2000.

I remember Donald Trump calling the EC a disaster as recently as four years ago.

I even remember reading this story from a few days before the 2000 debacle where a Bush aide came right out and said they'd challenge if he lost the Electoral College.

Let's face it, folks - they're politicians and hypocrisy is their lifeblood. And it isn't 'just' the left or the right or the Republicans or the Democrats. I've long chuckled since the recount went Bush's way with the familiar Democratic whine that Republicans are real big on state sovereignty and yet they went to federal court over it. But so what? Democrats are really big on FEDERAL court, so isn't it just as hypocritical for them to try and insist all of a sudden that their ridiculous recount proposal ("hey, we're only going to count in four large Democratic majority counties") has to be handled at the state level - since it's allegedly a 'federal election?'

The fact is that if Trump had lost and HRC had won the same way, the partisans in this debacle would be arguing just the opposite.

For the record, we're always going to have the EC unless some activist liberal court suddenly decides it's unconstitutional.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Not only do I remember that, but I remember them stealing that particular idea from (wait for it) the Democrats, who proffered it in 2004.

I remember Hillary Clinton calling for the abolition of the EC in 2000.

I remember Donald Trump calling the EC a disaster as recently as four years ago.

I even remember reading this story from a few days before the 2000 debacle where a Bush aide came right out and said they'd challenge if he lost the Electoral College.

Let's face it, folks - they're politicians and hypocrisy is their lifeblood. And it isn't 'just' the left or the right or the Republicans or the Democrats. I've long chuckled since the recount went Bush's way with the familiar Democratic whine that Republicans are real big on state sovereignty and yet they went to federal court over it. But so what? Democrats are really big on FEDERAL court, so isn't it just as hypocritical for them to try and insist all of a sudden that their ridiculous recount proposal ("hey, we're only going to count in four large Democratic majority counties") has to be handled at the state level - since it's allegedly a 'federal election?'

The fact is that if Trump had lost and HRC had won the same way, the partisans in this debacle would be arguing just the opposite.

For the record, we're always going to have the EC unless some activist liberal court suddenly decides it's unconstitutional.
I guess I'm not a partisan. I like the EC regardless of the outcome. But maybe I'm just informed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.