Question: The Electoral College

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess I'm not a partisan. I like the EC regardless of the outcome. But maybe I'm just informed.
I do, too, but note that I'm not arguing for it's inclusion because 'my guy' won or against it because 'my guy' lost, either.

It will never be overturned by amendment given you need 38 states to do it - and that's what gives most of the states their clout.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do, too, but note that I'm not arguing for it's inclusion because 'my guy' won or against it because 'my guy' lost, either.

It will never be overturned by amendment given you need 38 states to do it - and that's what gives most of the states their clout.
I seriously hope that abolishing the EC is the totality of the Democrats opposition over the next four years.
Please Democrats, bang your head against that wall. Please.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No but at least I didn't question your truthfulness like you did mine. You seem to have a comprehension problem. I made that statement to show that my opinion wasn't something new or based on recent results. :rolleyes:
The reason he called you an "expert" is because you have for the past week and a half been really harping on that we need to change it. When we ask how should we change it, you give a very simplistic answer that you should expect from a high school government class paper.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The reason he called you an "expert" is because you have for the past week and a half been really harping on that we need to change it. When we ask how should we change it, you give a very simplistic answer that you should expect from a high school government class paper.
If we are just going to dump every person's vote into a big national hopper, I still have not heard Bamaro explain how we will avoid having to recount every single precinct, in the single state, in every single election. He studiously avoids that issue, and it makes his proposal look impractical.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we are just going to dump every person's vote into a big national hopper, I still have not heard Bamaro explain how we will avoid having to recount every single precinct, in the single state, in every single election. He studiously avoids that issue, and it makes his proposal look impractical.
That's one of the many issues that I would like him , and the others who believe that it is so easy to abandon a 200 year old system of voting by simply clicking your heels together and everything will run smoothly, to answer. But it's like day 12 now... So....

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would favor a Maine/Nebraska system nationwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't and the reason states don't is because it dilutes any real power at all. It would make the whole thing a fiction by which we may as well dispose of it.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
We don't really even know the outcome of the popular vote yet. It's worked as is so far so let's leave it alone. One question, when you look at the fact that all major areas of subsidized housing is located in areas that Democrats traditionally hold, is that gerrymandering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Of course you should all know that I am not looking at this from a left/right or blue/red or demo/rep standpoint. I refuse to vote for either. The electoral college only partially balances the scales between big and small states. It forces candidates to consider a broader part of America than they otherwise would. It ensures diversity. When did "liberals" stop liking diversity?
I have two issues with the EC. (1) It disenfranchises red voters and blue states and blue voters in red states. (2) It gives far more representation to rural, predominantly white voters through the math of the EC system. Right now, one person's vote in Wyoming or the Dakotas is weighted ~4 times more than a vote from someone in a more heavily populated state. I would support a compromise whereby the number of EC votes per state is rebalanced to reflect the current population distribution. It wouldn't help with my first issue. But since I don't seriously believe the EC will be abolished in my lifetime until it disadvantages the GOP (which is unlikely due to issue #2), I would accept a reform that better balances state representation while keeping the system intact and not forcing nationwide recounts in years where there is no clear victor by popular vote to the tune of 1.5+ million.

But again, since the EC grants Republicans an institutional advantage, realistically nothing will be done.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We don't really even know the outcome of the popular vote yet. It's worked as is so far so let's leave it alone. One question, when you look at the fact that all major areas of subsidized housing is located in areas that Democrats traditionally hold, is that gerrymandering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
last i saw clinton is ahead in the popular vote by about 1.4 mil votes. i read that the final tally is expected to go more in her favor.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not and R or a D, so keep that in mind...

... but if Trump had won the popular vote but Clinton had won the EC, I wonder how many Dems would be clamoring to change it due to it's 'unfairness'.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
the flip side of that argument also exists.
Yep, and that's exactly my point.

The only reason the EC has become a topic for discussion is because the Dems don't like the results. We'd likely see the same response from the Repubs were the shoe on the other foot.

It's a knee-jerk reaction, not a fight against some institutional unfairness.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
There are also severe discrepancies in voter registration laws state by state.
This. Purge the voter registration list of the deceased and ALL states should require a photo id to vote. Non-citizens and felons should not be able to vote. Then let's see how the popular vote shakes out.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Sometimes simplistic answers are the proper answers. Every other election, senate, house, governor, mayor etc is decided by popular vote. The presidential doesn't need to be nor should it be different. Let the people decide directly. Sorry if this seems simplistic or high schoolish but that is how i feel.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Not sure why that would be a problem. It certainly is not a good reason to keep the EC, convenience. I seriously doubt that it was on the framers minds so it seems odd that strict constructionists like I believe you are would even consider it. Recounts are the exception, not the rule.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
This. Purge the voter registration list of the deceased and ALL states should require a photo id to vote. Non-citizens and felons should not be able to vote. Then let's see how the popular vote shakes out.
That and you should dip your thumb in ink after you vote to prevent repeat voting with a stolen identity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.