Question: The Electoral College - Page 6
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: The Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The reason he called you an "expert" is because you have for the past week and a half been really harping on that we need to change it. When we ask how should we change it, you give a very simplistic answer that you should expect from a high school government class paper.
    If we are just going to dump every person's vote into a big national hopper, I still have not heard Bamaro explain how we will avoid having to recount every single precinct, in the single state, in every single election. He studiously avoids that issue, and it makes his proposal look impractical.

BamaNation All-SEC RhodeIslandRed's Avatar

There are also severe discrepancies in voter registration laws state by state.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    If we are just going to dump every person's vote into a big national hopper, I still have not heard Bamaro explain how we will avoid having to recount every single precinct, in the single state, in every single election. He studiously avoids that issue, and it makes his proposal look impractical.
    That's one of the many issues that I would like him , and the others who believe that it is so easy to abandon a 200 year old system of voting by simply clicking your heels together and everything will run smoothly, to answer. But it's like day 12 now... So....
    Last edited by 81usaf92; November 20th, 2016 at 09:43 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I would favor a Maine/Nebraska system nationwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't and the reason states don't is because it dilutes any real power at all. It would make the whole thing a fiction by which we may as well dispose of it.

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

We don't really even know the outcome of the popular vote yet. It's worked as is so far so let's leave it alone. One question, when you look at the fact that all major areas of subsidized housing is located in areas that Democrats traditionally hold, is that gerrymandering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles16 View Post
    Of course you should all know that I am not looking at this from a left/right or blue/red or demo/rep standpoint. I refuse to vote for either. The electoral college only partially balances the scales between big and small states. It forces candidates to consider a broader part of America than they otherwise would. It ensures diversity. When did "liberals" stop liking diversity?
    I have two issues with the EC. (1) It disenfranchises red voters and blue states and blue voters in red states. (2) It gives far more representation to rural, predominantly white voters through the math of the EC system. Right now, one person's vote in Wyoming or the Dakotas is weighted ~4 times more than a vote from someone in a more heavily populated state. I would support a compromise whereby the number of EC votes per state is rebalanced to reflect the current population distribution. It wouldn't help with my first issue. But since I don't seriously believe the EC will be abolished in my lifetime until it disadvantages the GOP (which is unlikely due to issue #2), I would accept a reform that better balances state representation while keeping the system intact and not forcing nationwide recounts in years where there is no clear victor by popular vote to the tune of 1.5+ million.

But again, since the EC grants Republicans an institutional advantage, realistically nothing will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    We don't really even know the outcome of the popular vote yet. It's worked as is so far so let's leave it alone. One question, when you look at the fact that all major areas of subsidized housing is located in areas that Democrats traditionally hold, is that gerrymandering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    last i saw clinton is ahead in the popular vote by about 1.4 mil votes. i read that the final tally is expected to go more in her favor.
    Last edited by 92tide; November 21st, 2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: fix number
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

I'm not and R or a D, so keep that in mind...

... but if Trump had won the popular vote but Clinton had won the EC, I wonder how many Dems would be clamoring to change it due to it's 'unfairness'.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

... but if Trump had won the popular vote but Clinton had won the EC, I wonder how many Dems would be clamoring to change it due to it's 'unfairness'.
    the flip side of that argument also exists.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    the flip side of that argument also exists.
    Yep, and that's exactly my point.

The only reason the EC has become a topic for discussion is because the Dems don't like the results. We'd likely see the same response from the Repubs were the shoe on the other foot.

It's a knee-jerk reaction, not a fight against some institutional unfairness.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American sabanball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIslandRed View Post
    There are also severe discrepancies in voter registration laws state by state.
    This. Purge the voter registration list of the deceased and ALL states should require a photo id to vote. Non-citizens and felons should not be able to vote. Then let's see how the popular vote shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The reason he called you an "expert" is because you have for the past week and a half been really harping on that we need to change it. When we ask how should we change it, you give a very simplistic answer that you should expect from a high school government class paper.
    Sometimes simplistic answers are the proper answers. Every other election, senate, house, governor, mayor etc is decided by popular vote. The presidential doesn't need to be nor should it be different. Let the people decide directly. Sorry if this seems simplistic or high schoolish but that is how i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

That was my wish.