Question: The Electoral College

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Potato, potahto
I hear ya. Until this year I had done more world wide travel (in Asia especially) than our own country. This summer I drove from Double Springs to Baltimore & then to Morgantown, WV in one day (18 hours of driving; to Johns Hopkins hospital to visit a church member; then to WV for a wedding). One thing I noticed is that quite a bit of Virginia, Maryland, and especially WV is not unlike Winston/Walker county. There's redneck everywhere [emoji3].

Sorry for the off topic post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gaining 2 seats from states you are expected to win is not something to celebrate. Losing other senate contests you should have won just compounds the issue.
I find that irrelevant in view of the fact that the EC has once again delivered us a minority president, and, it appears, a multi-million vote minority president. You applaud it because your guy won, which, in my view, is short-sighted. It goes to the legitimacy of the executive branch. People from parliamentary countries find it incomprehensible...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
People from parliamentary countries find it incomprehensible...
To eb fair, people from parliamentary countries find lots of things about the US incomprehensible. That's certainly no reason for me to lose any sleep over it.

I'll just point out again that if Trump had won the popular vote and HRC the EC, none of the Dems would be clamoring to eliminate or alter the EC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I find that irrelevant in view of the fact that the EC has once again delivered us a minority president, and, it appears, a multi-million vote minority president. You applaud it because your guy won, which, in my view, is short-sighted. It goes to the legitimacy of the executive branch. People from parliamentary countries find it incomprehensible...
But people in parliamentary governments aren't designed like us. So they can find it incomprehensible all they want.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Doesn't matter. CA's point is still true
No, it does matter. In the history of this nation, a Democrat has never won the EC while losing the popular vote. In contrast, the system has benefited a Republican 5 of 6 times in our history. And that 6th example (Adams in 1824) benefited the direct political precursor to the Republican party.

Now, the demographics of this country are vastly different in the 2000's (Bush and Trump) from the 1800's (Adams, Hayes, Harrison), but it's simply dishonest to dismiss complaints about the EC as sour grapes. It is mathematical fact that the EC weighs the votes of certain Americans more than others. And the farther we move from the Founders' agrarian ideal, the more apparent that systemic bias becomes. Some people will support that bias because it benefits them, but it absolutely exists.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.