Question: The Electoral College - Page 9
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Re: The Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    All of which means he's yet one more minority president claiming a mandate, and he's going to be more behind after all the votes are counted...
    Regarding mandates, the overall results at the national, state, and local levels make a strong case for a mandate. Admittedly, only looking at the popular vote would not lead one to a "having a mandate" conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Regarding mandates, the overall results at the national, state, and local levels make a strong case for a mandate. Admittedly, only looking at the popular vote would not lead one to a "having a mandate" conclusion.
    at the national level, the dems gained seats in both the house and senate. to whom does that give a mandate?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar

If either side claims a mandate after this election cycle, they are deluded.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

agreed

I didn't have time to go thru this whole thread so please forgive me if someone has already addressed this point: Do you REALLY want this country's leadership decided by half a population who is simply going to vote for the candidate/party that is going to offer more "FREE" stuff than the other party/candidate? Because that's about where we're about at in this stage of the game. I'm about to rub some people the wrong way and probably be called a racist/bigot or whatever, but if you do not have, at the very least, a high school diploma/GED and if you are reliant on the gvt for your "livelihood" because you chose to drop out of school and be a leech on society then you are too biased and uneducated to form a logical opinion on why you are going to vote for the person you cast your lot with. Don't give me all the voters rights crap because people make decisions on how educated/uneducated they want to be ( now for those wanting to nitpick what I just said: I am speaking of those who are physically and mentally able to do so and chose not to and for the record there are both D and R voters in this equation). If you cannot function on a basic educational level and have a good general use of the ENGLISH language then you likely do not have the common (or any other kind) kind of sense to vote for someone who is going to lead this country. You want to vote? Get educated and at least have a better reason than "FREE STUFF" to vote for whatever candidate you choose.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    at the national level, the dems gained seats in both the house and senate. to whom does that give a mandate?
    At the national level, the Dems should have taken control of the Senate, given the seats that were being contested, but the Dems were unable to do so.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInMo1 View Post
    I didn't have time to go thru this whole thread so please forgive me if someone has already addressed this point: Do you REALLY want this country's leadership decided by half a population who is simply going to vote for the candidate/party that is going to offer more "FREE" stuff than the other party/candidate? Because that's about where we're about at in this stage of the game. I'm about to rub some people the wrong way and probably be called a racist/bigot or whatever, but if you do not have, at the very least, a high school diploma/GED and if you are reliant on the gvt for your "livelihood" because you chose to drop out of school and be a leech on society then you are too biased and uneducated to form a logical opinion on why you are going to vote for the person you cast your lot with. Don't give me all the voters rights crap because people make decisions on how educated/uneducated they want to be ( now for those wanting to nitpick what I just said: I am speaking of those who are physically and mentally able to do so and chose not to and for the record there are both D and R voters in this equation). If you cannot function on a basic educational level and have a good general use of the ENGLISH language then you likely do not have the common (or any other kind) kind of sense to vote for someone who is going to lead this country. You want to vote? Get educated and at least have a better reason than "FREE STUFF" to vote for whatever candidate you choose.
    Why would I think you're racist? Describes more whites I know than blacks. Just sayin'...
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

At the national level, the Dems should have taken control of the Senate, given the seats that were being contested, but the Dems were unable to do so.
    Um... And?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Um... And?
    Gaining 2 seats from states you are expected to win is not something to celebrate. Losing other senate contests you should have won just compounds the issue.
    Last edited by Tide1986; November 21st, 2016 at 04:13 PM.

so what, that's hardly a case for a "strong mandate"
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    so what, that's hardly a case for a "strong mandate"
    Fortunately for me, I never characterized the level of mandate. However, I did characterize the case/argument for a mandate as being strong.

Suspended

Thanks...good read.

It's interesting that the author uses a 19th century definition for rural. Nevertheles, the seed for a modern definition are within his treatise:

“They had this vision of what they called the ‘yeoman farmer’: this independent, free-standing person who owed nothing to anybody, who didn’t receive any payments from the government, who didn’t live by a wage, but who could support himself and his family on a farm growing everything they needed — and that these were the people who were going to be the backbone of democracy,” said Gerald Gamm, a political scientist at the University of Rochester, describing what could be the forefathers of the rural voters who tilted this year’s election.