Question: The Electoral College
Page 1 of 26 1234567811 ... LastLast

The Electoral College

The following is a proposal that would keep the EC (so no constitutional amendment needed) but the candidate who wins the most popular votes is elected president

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC) is an agreement among a group of U.S. states and the District of Columbia to award all their respective electoral votes to whichever presidential candidate wins the overall popular vote in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. The compact is designed to ensure that the candidate who wins the most popular votes is elected president, and it will come into effect only when it will guarantee that outcome.

As of 2016, it has been adopted by ten states and the District of Columbia, whose 165 combined electoral votes represent 30.7% of the total Electoral College vote, and 61.1% of the 270 votes needed for it to have legal force.
    Sounds like a good idea to me. What say you?

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: The Electoral College

I am reluctant to change. But on the other hand, Hillary won the popular vote by some 2 million. Might be a good idea?

BamaNation All-American

Be careful what you wish for. Democrats are benefitting from the fact that it's much easier to vote in urban areas. Who is to say that the people in red states who see it as a lock, might now actually have a reason to go vote.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    I am reluctant to change.
    What if we put some hope with that change? You seemed to enjoy that previously.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar

No.
    Last edited by bamachile; November 20th, 2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: punctuation
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

I suggest only taxpayers and retirees get to vote. If you are currently on government assistance such as welfare, housing, food stamps or benefiting from health care susidies, you are not allowed to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    What if we put some hope with that change? You seemed to enjoy that previously.
    You have cut me to the quick, Friend Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    I suggest only taxpayers and retirees get to vote. If you are currently on government assistance such as welfare, housing, food stamps or benefiting from health care susidies, you are not allowed to vote.
    How bout if you legally avoid paying taxes? That would leave me and Trump out. I assume you mean income tax rather than the host of other taxes welfare/entitlement leeches pay? How bout if you get a healthcare subsidy from your employer? I feel like 1986 asking all theses questions!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    The following is a proposal that would keep the EC (so no constitutional amendment needed) but the candidate who wins the most popular votes is elected president

Sounds like a good idea to me. What say you?
    No.

Suspended

I posted this in "The Donald Wins" thread. It discusses this pact.

http://www.the-american-interest.com...toral-college/

A marginally more realistic path to reform is the “National Popular Vote Interstate Compact,” an agreement between states to allocate all of their electors to whichever candidate wins a plurality of the national popular vote. Thus far, this Constitutional workaround has been approved by ten deep blue states and Washington, D.C., which together control 165 electoral votes. Once states controlling 270 electoral votes sign the compact, it is theoretically put in place, and whoever wins the popular vote will automatically also win an electoral majority. The first problem with this scheme is that, as Nate Silver has shown, the creators of the compact have already scored the easy victories in high electoral vote states like California and New York. It will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for them to reach the 270 electoral vote threshold needed to activate the compact.

And even if the compact
    were activated, as the law professor William G. Ross has argued, it might not survive constitutional scrutiny. For one thing, the Constitution requires congressional approval for any interstate compact that infringes on federal power or the power of other states. While the advocates of the NPVIC claim this compact would be exempt from this command, it would certainly be challenged, meaning that unless Congress approved the scheme, the election outcome would likely be decided by the United States Supreme Court the next time the electoral and popular votes are split (hardly a more “democratic” outcome). Finally, there is no enforcement mechanism for the compact, meaning that individual state governments could pull out of it as soon as it became clear that it no longer served their partisan interest in a given election. They could even pull out after the votes were counted and before the electors were allocated. This will likely be fatal to the whole project.
    Last edited by Tide1986; November 20th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.

BamaNation First Team

The same reasons for the electoral college being instituted still exist today. That one or two populous states can dictate to the smaller states how they should live. We condemn bullying in our lives but want it in our government? Uhh no ! We are the United STATES of America and I don't want 3 or 4 states dictating what the other 46 or 47 are going to have to live with. If we went strictly by the popular vote we also need to disband the Senate, leaving those 3 or 4 states telling us what tyranny they have chose for us to live under.

I don't enjoy, but can live with, what is being forced onto me now. Besides, I can move to another state easier than I can move to Costa Rica. :-)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Clubfitter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    I am reluctant to change. But on the other hand, Hillary won the popular vote by some 2 million. Might be a good idea?
    If the last election winner would have been by popular vote, Trump would have spent more time in Cal, NY, etc and still won the election.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.