Why not just rest our starters for the Ironbowl?

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'm sure you could ask the Alabama legislature to suspend the series again for another say 10 to 20 years.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
In deference to the OP, I really can't believe how many people on here thought he was being honestly serious in asking this question. Have any of you on here ever seen the OP ask anything like this before? I think not. But, he did get quite a few hits out of it, didn't he?

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I don't agree with the idea, but I heard this raised on SiriusXM (even as the analyst said that Saban would never do it). The rationale is that Alabama is a lock for the playoffs, so this is like a NFL game in week 17 when your team has already clinched.

Here's why I disagree (not necessarily in order of importance):
1. We don't know that Alabama has "clinched". This isn't the NFL where it's all based on numbers without human input.
2. Even assuming that the committee would still put us in if we did that, there's the matter of placement. I'd much rather have us play in Atlanta than Glendale. Also, in the NFL, teams that have clinched a spot in the playoffs frequently play their starters if a win can improve their position.
3. There really are few team rivalries in the NFL and none that approach most college rivalries, much less the Iron Bowl. If you are the Patriots, for example, and you've already clinched the #1 seed in the AFC, will any of your fans care much if you don't beat the Dolphins?

CFB isn't the NFL yet (Thanks be to God!) and I don't think anyone will treat this weekend's rivalry games like week 17 in the NFL. I'm certain that Coach Saban won't.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It is all about momentum at this time of the year. If we lose or don't perform well, you give other teams hope. I would rather the other teams feel like they have no hope at all of beating us. Let them gamble on every play call to defeat us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.