Question: SEC Sugar Bowl Team?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Is there still a 100% tie in or does the SEC risk being shut out of the Sugar Bowl? I can see a scenario where, other than Alabama, the SEC will only have 4 loss teams available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Is there still a 100% tie in . . .
Yes, in years when the Sugar Bowl is not part of the play-off, it gets the top team from the SEC and top team from the Big 12 (aside from any SEC or Big 12 teams that go to the play-off).

This year, I'm thinking it will be Oklahoma and either Texas A&M or Florida.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Yes, in years when the Sugar Bowl is not part of the play-off, it gets the top team from the SEC and top team from the Big 12 (aside from any SEC or Big 12 teams that go to the play-off).

This year, I'm thinking it will be Oklahoma and either Texas A&M or Florida.
I hope you're right, for the sake of the conference. At least those two might make a game of it. The Sooners would obliterate Tennessee.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
The Sooners would obliterate Tennessee.
OU is playing awfully well (on offense at least) and will probably beat whatever team the SEC sends to New Orleans. After Alabama, the SEC has a big cluster of teams that are only decent (Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Auburn) and won't do well against the "next tier" teams from the other conferences. I think bowl season for the SEC will be ugly.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I read that if UF loses to FSU and Bama that Kentucky would go to the Sugar Bowl..
Highly unlikely. The Sugar Bowl is part of the "New Year's Six" package that's also selected by the CFP committee, and as of last week Kentucky was not even in the top 25 -- Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M are all ahead of them, and either LSU or A&M will not lose again (since they play each other on Thanksgiving night).

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Sugar Bowl is locked in as SEC vs. Big 12.

If Florida beats FSU, it's definitely them. If FSU beats the Gators and Texas A&M beats LSU, I think it's the Aggies. If FSU and LSU win, it's hard to say... I still kinda think Gators get it but it could be Auburn. Kinda depends on the scores in these games, honestly.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
One of my biggest problems with the Bowl selection is that SEC gets screwed. The SEC puts teams in the BCS/CFP and then the other SEC teams have to play higher ranked opponents. Our 5 or 6 team plays a two or three from another conference.

I know in Alabama's case this sounds like sour grapes, but the it gripes my butt when the talking heads talk about how the SEC didn't do well in the bowls, but do not bring up this point.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This has been covered already but the SEC and Big-12 secured bids to the Sugar Bowl around the same time as the CFP deal. It will be an SEC school and likely Tennessee who will be abused by whatever Big-12 offense shows up

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
One of my biggest problems with the Bowl selection is that SEC gets screwed. The SEC puts teams in the BCS/CFP and then the other SEC teams have to play higher ranked opponents. Our 5 or 6 team plays a two or three from another conference.

I know in Alabama's case this sounds like sour grapes, but the it gripes my butt when the talking heads talk about how the SEC didn't do well in the bowls, but do not bring up this point.
I think getting multiple teams into top bowls is typically a boon for a conference... And definitely not worth complaining about.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Non-playoff bowl selection criteria[edit]

In the two out of three years when a given New Year's Six bowl is not part of the playoff bracket, the highest-ranked non-playoff teams from the following conferences or groups are selected as follows:[SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP]

• Rose BowlBig Ten #1 vs. Pac-12 #1
  • Sugar BowlSEC #1 vs. Big 12 #1
  • Orange BowlACC #1 vs. SEC #2, Big Ten #2, or Notre Dame
  • Cotton Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
  • Fiesta Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
  • Peach Bowl — at-large or "Group of Five" (committee selection)
  • The highest-ranked champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (The American, C-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.[SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP]
  • The remaining five at-large bids are determined by committee rankings.[SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP]
  • If the Big Ten or SEC champion is available for a non-playoff bowl in a year when the Rose and Sugar Bowls are hosting semifinals, that team appears in either the Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or Peach Bowl, but not the Orange Bowl.[SUP][39][/SUP]
  • In the Orange Bowl, the SEC and Big Ten are guaranteed at least three appearances during the eight non-playoff years, while Notre Dame can only appear a maximum of twice.[SUP][40][/SUP]
  • In non-playoff years, if the Orange Bowl matchup creates a regular-season rematch for the ACC representative, the bowl may choose to "skip over" the prescribed opponent from the SEC/Big Ten/Notre Dame group and select the next highest-ranked team from the group. The team that was rejected would be placed in one of the three at-large bowls, if it meets ranking standards.[SUP][41][/SUP]
  • In years when the Orange Bowl is a national semifinal, the ACC champion plays in the Fiesta or Peach bowls if it is not selected for the playoff.[SUP][42][/SUP]
  • In choosing the pairings for the four non-playoff bowls, the committee tries to create "the most compelling matchups possible", while taking into account geography and team rematches from both the regular season and recent bowls.[SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][43][/SUP]
[SUP]​https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff[/SUP]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.